Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you have stuffed animals? (Go with whatever is closests)
Yes - I can't sleep or cheer myself up unless I have one or more with me. 18%  18%  [ 17 ]
Yes - I can't sleep or cheer myself up unless I have one or more with me. 18%  18%  [ 17 ]
Yes - I do sometimes need them. 14%  14%  [ 13 ]
Yes - I do sometimes need them. 14%  14%  [ 13 ]
Sortof - They reside in a hidden place, and I call upon them only in extreme circumstances. 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Sortof - They reside in a hidden place, and I call upon them only in extreme circumstances. 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
I personally do not have any, but I don't see a problem with it. 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
I personally do not have any, but I don't see a problem with it. 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
No way! Stuffed animals are for kids! 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
No way! Stuffed animals are for kids! 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 92

Kamex
Raven
Raven

03 Sep 2006, 6:01 am

Who here has stuffed animals? To what degree do you make use of them?

I personally, have 5 that I sleep with and use for emotional support. A stuffed animal won't get upset at feeling sorry for me. It won't accuse me of faking my problems, and it won't laugh at me.

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 4:00 pm

I have half a dozen or so on my bed, a hammock full of them above and some in the closet.

I use them for emotional support too. A stuffed animal doesn't mind you giving it a hug @ 3 in the morning.

Also, this is kinda hard to explain but they help combat sensory underload in the case of touch.

Yeh, I'll stop now before this turns into a long, boring and rambling post.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 5:20 pm

I have been "collecting" stuffed animals all of my life...one of my obsessions.I only like the really soft and cute ones.I had several that were my "friends" when I was younger and always slept with them(unless I have a boyfriend).I dont talk to them anymore and they dont have "personalitys "for me now...that has been replaced with my relationship with my cats.I do still love to hug and pet them...l Love the feel of the fur,real and fake.There is still a part of me that "feels' them as "real"....I could never throw them away and have rescued(and washed)several I have found "abandoned" in dumpsters

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Atomicat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2006, 6:48 pm

I also find that fur is about the only thing I actually LIKE on my skin. Being a huge cartoon and animation freak/fan I've got tons of Warners and Hanna Barbara plush. Value Village rocks!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/A ... ank01s.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/A ... ank04s.jpg

They're very useful actually, for instance, Ginger keeps em all in line if they're bad...
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/A ... ySmall.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/A ... Ridess.jpg

I get all my weed from Hong Kong Phooey...
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/A ... ge002s.jpg

And Brain does minor fixit's on my machine if I'm too lazy...
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/A ... Baby2s.jpg

Oh, I should note that he's quite the reader too. It's nice to have someone around who I can discuss physics with.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/A ... udies1.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/A ... udies2.jpg

Atomicat

05 Sep 2006, 12:30 am

I have a lot of stuff animals but none of it applies to me that is in the poll. Most of them are packed away though. I have a very few now I bought since I've moved out of my parents house. I sleep with my stuffed Clifferd the Big red dog and my baby blanket and this bunny puppet thing made by fisher price. I bring my stuff animal and blanket with me when I go somewhere and won't be sleeping in my own bed.

05 Sep 2006, 12:40 am

>I have found "abandoned" in dumpsters<

Same here. I found a Pikachu in the dumpster back at the folkshop I worked at and I dug out a few happy meal stuff as well that were stuffed tiny stuff animal one. I think they were pokemon characters. I packed them away when I moved out of my parents so I forget what kind they are.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 9:36 am

I have around thirty stuffed animals, most of which I've had since I was very small (some were bought for me by friends of the family before I was born). Most of them sit on a long shelf in the room where the computer is; I sleep with one stuffed dog and a blanket.

Yes, I use them for emotional support, or just in a stimmy way sometimes, stroking and squeezing them or feeling their fur against my face.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 10:28 am

I have 7 on my bed. I'm putting 6 of them in the loft as I only cuddle one. I cuddle it to fall asleep and for some reason it helps me sleep to cuddle one. I tried not cuddling one but I couldn't get to sleep. Although I've been attached to them since birth as my aunt knitted one for me. I get them for christmas as well to cuddle, although now I don't wish to get anymore, because I haven't alot of space left on my bed and I only cuddle one. I thought I was the only one who cuddles stuffed animals at night.

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 11:33 am

Wow! So many people that do.

Dalebert
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2006, 7:22 pm

I put the 2nd yes, though it's not quite accurate. They're just on display on my desk. I don't pet them or hold them. One is a gift from someone I had (and somewhat still have) a crush on so it has sentimental value. The other is a pig and I just like pigs so I bought it.

BTW, I'm a guy.
:oops:

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 7:10 am

When I was a kid I was obsessed with them.. I would have over 100.. saving up my pocket money for them.

I have kept my favourite, he's slowly rotting away in a bag.. because if I left him out, he would desintergrate even faster :(

I bought one only a few months ago. I especially like toy cats. I still have my "little cats" (hard small plastic toys) in a box and remember all their names. I'm glad I kept them.

Toy cats just make me think about cats more, and it's like having an extra pet.

Kamex
Raven
Raven

06 Sep 2006, 11:57 am

sigholdaccountlost wrote:
Wow! So many people that do.

Indeed. The surprising thing is that a lot of NTs have them too, at least, more than you'd expect. Though I don't cuddle them in public, I'm quite open about my need for them and I've had lots of NTs privately confess to me that they sleep with them too, both men and women, many of them in their 40s. In addition, though she may have only been trying to cheer me up, the dentist that removed my wisdom teeth told me that while I had been the first to bring 2 stuffed animals with me (I left 3 at home), the vast majority of people who came in there brought single blankies and teddy bears.

I don't think people every really grow up emotionally - we're just expected to. A scratch on a nice new car generates the same feeling as a broken toy - NTs are just better at hiding it.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 3:30 pm

krex wrote:
There is still a part of me that "feels' them as "real"....I could never throw them away and have rescued(and washed)several I have found "abandoned" in dumpsters

I always feel sad when I see stuffed animal thrown away or in second-hand shops. It upsets me even more if they're obviously well-worn and played with. Somebody owned that toy for years - how could they just stop loving it and throw it out like that?

I'm planning a day when I'm not working next week to give them all a nice clean and wash.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 11:25 pm

I voted "I personally do not have any, but I don't see a problem with it." Although personally I have never had any, even as a kid. But I do not wish to put people down if that's what turns them on even it they are 90. I did not like them because I disliked cuddling anything or being cuddled.

However before I could walk I was very clingy, quiet and sleepy, it gave me security, which is why my parents gave me the pet name "Koala Bear". This clingy phase I went through is the nearest phase I went through to cuddling albeit just gripping on with my fingers like a koala grips on to a branch and not really hugging. I would not think of cuddling a soft toy for example as a soft toy would never bring me joy.

Paul

CaseyJ400
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2006, 6:49 am

I also voted that I don't have any, but don't have a problem with others having any.

I had a whole bunch of them growing up. (I preferred them over dolls. I hated dolls.) I used them for support, but I couldn't sleep with them in the bed. I don't know why. They went to the floor whenever I went to bed and then when I'd wake up they were put back on my bed. Eventually I got rid of them, but lately I've started buying some for my son. Maybe I'm reliving my childhood through him.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2006, 1:20 pm

I have a lot of them packed away too, but I sleep with one of those full body pillows.