Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

30 Jul 2011, 1:45 pm

I've heard claims a many from teenagers that life wouldn't be worth living if they couldn't have music. Well, asking this of the few who doesn't listen to music, is it?

I personally thought the primary mechanism of music was that it induced a desirable emotional response from the listener, and that living without music would be kind of like living without emotion. Except, in the average person's life, there are so many other emotional stimuli that music, though efficacious as a source of emotional stimuli and relatively easy and quick to choose what kind of emotional stimulation you want, isn't really necessary in life for one to experience emotion and enjoy life. So, mmmm... I still think life would be worth living. Of course, if you're emotionless, maybe not... but I really doubt anyone is truly "emotionless". Expressionless? Maybe. Emotionless? Unlikely.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 1:51 pm

Nope.

I must be a teenager.

But IMO without SOUND, there is no point in living.

I could deal with being blind but I am *extremely* auditory.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 1:55 pm

I am extremely auditory. I can hear conversations spoken at normal volume from hundreds of feet away. That said, I could live without music. It's just background noise to me now.

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 1:59 pm

I`ll tell u if it wasn`t for Billy Idol IDK where I`d be right now! I don`t even wanna think about it because I`m too happy to think about it!
Music is a great form of therapy and very helpful! I can`t live without music (especially Billy)

Kuroyuri
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jul 2011, 2:03 pm

Well, music and sound are two different things, it's just music requires sound to be experienced.

I myself am a music nut. I absolutely love music. I listen to all sorts of music and love finding new and local bands which have great potential. However, I could easily live without music. This is pretty much for the reasons you explained in the opening post. Music is entertaining and can produce desirable emotions, however, there are many other ways in which I can be emotionally stimulated. Music is just one source out of many, and if somehow it never existed, we would find other things to derive entertainment and emotional responses from.

However, it is also an individual preference I suppose. We all have our emotional attachments and obsessions, and I certainly know there are in fact things I couldn't personally live without. So while I think in general we don't need music, to someone else it can be their ultimate attachment and creative outlet that to them they simply couldn't live without. ^^

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 2:15 pm

I'd have more trouble if I could no longer read than if I could no longer listen to music. But really, something has to be way worse than either of those to make life not worth living. Pretty much any disability I can think of, if I acquired it, I could cope provided I had my family's support. Losing my family, though, that would be really tough for me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 2:15 pm

I do not think I would be alive if it was not for music...I don't care if that sounds like an exaggeration, but it is very important to me and is one of the few thing that helps me get through life.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

30 Jul 2011, 2:25 pm

It would certainly be a boring life without music! It wouldn't be the same!

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 2:26 pm

I could live without it, but I wouldn't want to.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 2:34 pm

I don't think I could live without it.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2011, 3:16 pm

I'm never 100% certain that life is worth living at all, but music does help insulate me from the world of people, which I despise, so yes, music is wall that protects me from society. Without it I would, at the very least, be bored to death and possibly disgusted right out of my ever lovin' mind.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 3:16 pm

music is my life; indeed becouse of the emotional resoponse triggered by it.
it might be becouse my emotions are pretty basic and bland; while music triggers complex emotions in me.
there indeed is no way that i can live without music, it's hard enough surviving a nights sleep without it; yet the sound of having music on blocks me from falling asleep, so...

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

30 Jul 2011, 3:23 pm

izzeme wrote:
music is my life; indeed becouse of the emotional resoponse triggered by it.
it might be becouse my emotions are pretty basic and bland; while music triggers complex emotions in me.

That's insightful. I wonder how much of that difference in the emotional tapestry between real life and music is due to intensity and how much is actual complexity (A combination of different emotions.). Both are probably significant.

Sectumsempra
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jul 2011, 3:25 pm

I use music to block out distractions. I play the same song as loud as I can, over and over (normally according to mood) so it's all I can hear. In classes all I could hear was everyone else's conversations, and I couldn't concentrate. So I made sure my music was the only thing I could hear, and played the same song over and over. And it helped, because I knew what was coming, I couldn't get distracted wondering what song would come next. I learned to lip-read so I wouldn't have to turn it off, and I could still pay attention to what a teacher was saying if I needed to.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 3:26 pm

You know, I realize when people say "I can't live without music", the word "live" is metaphorical in the say way that people with jesus inside them are "alive"(i.e., they feel alive or emotionally charged.). I understand that and, yes, most are probably right when they say that.

But, would an aspie tend to take the word "live" literally as in literally not being physically dead? My argument basically hinges on that interpretation, and I wonder if that's an aspie thing to do...

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 3:29 pm

Many of my interests are centered around music, including not just listening to one or playing an instrument, but tweaking and collecting audio reproductions units too. However, if music was taken out of my life, I would surely find other activities and interests. I wouldn't want it, though.