Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

KKinNY
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Sep 2006, 10:30 am

I am going to high school in a different school district than where I live. I went to a very tiny private school for my junior high years. (less than 30 kids in the whole school) Unfortunately due to low enrollment the school was having major financial issues. So now I am going to a large public school with a Boces P.E.P. (performance expectancy program) which does offer alot of support for kids with high functioning autism or AS. I am very nervous because I am going from a small middle school where I know everyone to a HUGE high school where I know nobody. Plus, I will miss all the kids and the good teachers. :( Does anyone have any advice about going to high school or transferring to a different school or anything like that?

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 11:13 am

I don't have lots of advice about going to a new school, but I do have advice about high school. In lots of high schools, the people that are considered as "weird" by some are usually avoided by the popular crowd; don't worry, just try to make friends where you are and people who are accepting and nice to you; remember most people say it will change totally around once you get out of high school, since there won't be nearly as much separation into groups after high school (hope! Yess...) Also, even if you think you'll get lost, you'll probably get to know the building by going to your classes everyday, and so that part is easier than you think. Another thing to consider is thinking about college lots sooner than just your senior year (freshman year is always good); it's a lot better to have assurance than to not have assurance, especially since after high school will be totally different. Another good bit of advice is not to let people who don't work at all in classes not copy your work just because you do your work (most aspies do their work and are pretty smart). I did that for part of my freshman year, and I felt that I was doing them a favour by quitting doing their work for them. It will probably make things a lot less stressful if you look at it, since you won't have to do that much extra work just because they decided to take a nap or talk to friends. Not to mention, you'll know who your real friends are in the end. Anyways, hope my tips are helpful to you; good luck in high school!

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 1:44 pm

go to the school before you attend, and lookj arond familiarise your self with where to go, where u sit and where u will be having classes.
this way you wont get lost as easily.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

03 Sep 2006, 1:55 pm

If possible, take honors courses. They tend to be inhabited by more focused, interested in paying attention students and often have better teachers.

Huge schools can be better sometimes--you generally run a better chance of finding someone you click with. In any case, you'll probably end up moving around in the same general pool of students (in a 3,000 kid high school, I usually have at least two classes with all of my classmates, and I had most of them in my classes last year).

Take clases that interest you. Again, you stand a better chance of meeting people with similar interests that way.

Oh, and band geeks are generally awesome, at least in my experience (and I don't even play an instrument).