Right now is the best time in history

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

RossMc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2011, 12:23 pm

Despite all the political and economic problems faced by the US and the rest of the world today, its a good time to be alive. Yes, men had a higher status compared to women in the old days, but there were a few drawbacks. Life was poorer and harder than today. The lack of antibiotics meant that until almost the middle of the 20th century, a lot of people died young from what are today easily treatable illnesses. The age of chivalry would not go over well today. Imagine as a man today, whenever you had a casual flirtation with a woman, sometimes no more than talking, that her family would jump in and force you to immediately marry her. That happened often in the past. That whole code of honor thing leads to women being treated as a burden by their families, who look to get them married off and have them out of the house as young as possible. That's one motive behind marrying off 12-year-old girls in Muslim societies. When the smallest thing, an ankle accidentally exposed, a lock of hair peeking out from under a veil leads to vicious accusations, when you are expected to stab any guy who even looks at your daughter, or at least give him a good beating, its easy to see how you would want to get rid of this problem.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 12:31 pm

I find life has always been a bit 'meh' relationshipwise.

Except when I'm actually in one.

RossMc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2011, 12:42 pm

A lot of the characteristics of relationships depend on the difference between men and women. Even today, after feminism, men do the chasing and women do the witholding. When you have only men, in homosexual relationships, you get lots of sex, but a harsh emphasis on youth and good looks, so men who are over 30 often can't get sex without paying money for it. When you have two women, in a lesbian relationship, you get lots of drama and fighting, also a lot of tenderness and foreplay, but a lot less sex.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Right now is the best time in history

"right now" is the only time in history.
things that happened before now are not in reality any more, and things that happen after now are not in reality yet.

the only reality at this instant is what is happening "now".
that is the way it has always been.
that is the way it will always be.
and the proof is in the fact that "now" is the only thing that is happening in the universe at this instant, and that is true forever.

history has no meaning when i see that it is not happening now.

past and future are fallacies because they never happen. the only thing that ever happens is "now". when the past happened it was "now" and not the "past". when the future happens it will happen when it is "now", and it will not be the "future" when it happens.

TurreticStorm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2011, 3:44 pm

i see you know little about honor its not about violence entirely or marrage in that way its about being honest folowing through with your word having respect and morals and protecting your loved ones i find it strange how everyone thinks of chivalry and womens rights together because thats completly the wrong way to think about it. it has nothing to do with women being lesser in any way it has to do with being polite and a gentleman yes im well aware a woman can open a door on her own but isnt it a nice gesture to open a door for somone? or paying for a meal who doesnt want a free meal? the idea of courtasy is more what chivalry is about but it seems like people get the wrong idea

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 4:10 pm

RossMc wrote:
Despite all the political and economic problems faced by the US and the rest of the world today, its a good time to be alive. Yes, men had a higher status compared to women in the old days,

Men remain the vast majority of political, economic, and cultural leaders. They own the vast majority of the world's capital, control the vast majority of the world's corporations, nations, and media institutions, as well as own the vast majority of land. We are in the midst of a rape pandemic and a situation wherein millions of women and girls around the world subsist in sexual slavery, and in America theocratic fascist elements are swiftly dismantling the most basic of reproductive freedoms. I'll assume this bit a joke and move one.
RossMc wrote:
but there were a few drawbacks. Life was poorer and harder than today.

Over a billion people are chronically-starving for the first time in humanity's history and the globe is on the verge of economic collapse. I'll assume this is a joke and move on.
RossMc wrote:
The lack of antibiotics meant that until almost the middle of the 20th century, a lot of people died young from what are today easily treatable illnesses.

They still are, thanks to the over-use of anti-biotics. Most of the front-line medicines used in years past are about as effective as sugar pills today thanks to bacterial resistance. That's aside from the fact that even in the West, many people don't have access to antibiotics, let alone medicines treating non-bacterial diseases.
RossMc wrote:
The age of chivalry would not go over well today. Imagine as a man today, whenever you had a casual flirtation with a woman, sometimes no more than talking, that her family would jump in and force you to immediately marry her. That happened often in the past.

It still happens in large regions of the world.
RossMc wrote:
That whole code of honor thing leads to women being treated as a burden by their families, who look to get them married off and have them out of the house as young as possible. That's one motive behind marrying off 12-year-old girls in Muslim societies. When the smallest thing, an ankle accidentally exposed, a lock of hair peeking out from under a veil leads to vicious accusations, when you are expected to stab any guy who even looks at your daughter, or at least give him a good beating, its easy to see how you would want to get rid of this problem.

Very true.

to his Interest."

rasol
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2011, 5:40 pm

Definitely not for me. My health is really bad, I don't have a job, I can't get a driver's license and the food I eat every day is always the same.

Life in this time and period is definitely not so great for everybody. Maybe for those who live in the US, Canada and the EU but not for many others who live in poorer countries.

Many people in the world are in serious trouble. In Somalia many people are starving to death and many others in southern Africa die from AIDS and other (preventable) diseases. In Syria many people die from civil unrest and other violent attacks on them. The situation in Israel is not so great either.