Page 4 of 6 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Shellfish
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2011
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 506
Location: Melbourne, Australia

22 Dec 2012, 3:39 am

Well, anyone that thinks they are unintelligent just needs a dose of reality tv for a good twenty minutes - you'll feel like a genius ;)

I will say that though, as I've gotten older I have realised that I am far more intelligent than I ever gave myself credit for. I didn't do particularly well at school (actually I did horribly) but since decided that it's due to dyslexia and attention deficit but given half a chance and in the right environment I think I could have done really well.


_________________
Mum to 7 year old DS (AS) and 3 year old DD (NT)


Last edited by Shellfish on 22 Dec 2012, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cinnamon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 209

22 Dec 2012, 7:14 am

I do feel very dim-witted quite often.
I agree with shellfish though - recently I watched one of my favourite quiz shows, which, because the holidays, had celebrities as contestants.
One of the contestants - a soap-series actress- was so stupid that I wondered how she managed to live independently. I felt great about my own abilities after watching her! :D



Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 426

22 Dec 2012, 7:34 am

Yes, I do sometimes. Expecially when I don't remember someone's face or when I can recall things that happened a month ago but I forget where I just put a thing, for example.


_________________
Please write in a simple English; I'm Italian, so I might misunderstand the sense of your sentence.
You can talk me in Spanish and Italian, too.


CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,241
Location: The Netherlands

22 Dec 2012, 7:40 am

I am reminded of something that Callista sometimes says, also related to her post in this thread...

...and it's about how people often mistake things like unusual verbosity or encyclopedic knowledge on a single subject for intelligence.

I get that, too. I often feel dumb as a rock. When I was a child, I enjoyed reading about my special interests, and I also enjoyed learning new facts in general, but I don't believe I am better skilled at learning or understanding these things than the average person.

But as a result of overexposing myself to these books, and learning all these words that children at that age (7-12 or something) didn't bother with, I came across as a "little professor". While in actuality, I do not have an exploring mind or an inventive mind, so I am not that great at deduction from any information I am given on certain subjects.

All I do is store information. I enjoy doing it, and that's why I may come across as 'smart', because I can sometimes pull obscure facts out of my brain when someone else in the room asks about it. But a lot of times, I do not have the answer, but that will go past unnoticed.

And that reminds of what Callista has said in the past, that people will at first mistake me for a 'smart guy', and then when I do something dumb or clumsy, usually something practical, people will say "But how is it that you don't understand that? You're supposed to be smart!"

Also, here on Wrong Planet, I am not nearly as knowledgeable as a lot of other members- and on the other message board I visit, it's the same story.


_________________
clarity of thought before rashness of action


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 98,797
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

22 Dec 2012, 8:08 am

I feel less intelligent than many of the people on here. It seems that a lot of the members here are able to have lengthy and wordy conversations about a topic that has a very simple title. I read the posts, get scared, run away and start cracking the jokes and one liners. I know it's not the way to go, but I am CockneyRebel after all and Cockneys and their like-spirited people do have a dry and cheeky sense of humour. I'm just surprised that my sense of humour hasn't got me banned yet.


_________________
Schultz


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 98,797
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

22 Dec 2012, 8:10 am

I also don't wish to be banned, nor do I intend to.


_________________
Schultz


b9
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,969
Location: australia

22 Dec 2012, 9:23 am

i assess what i see with my own faculty of translation into fundamental sense.
today i was considering whether the "big bang" (which i personally endorse) was created by god or not.
how can anything explode out from nothing? (let alone the entire universe).
how can "no cause" result in an effect? is it a miracle? how can something be instigated without a prior cause. there could be no physical cause that instigated the beginning of the universe, because one would have to backdate the origin of the universe to be able to include the existence of what was supposed to be already instigated the universe.

i realized today that there is no homogenous universe, and that is why there is a manifest universe.
an homogenous universe completely cancels it's self out.

there was an equal and infinite amount of negative and positive energy that was liberated from the stasis of nothingness at the point of the big bang, and it created the universal mass and the universal energy that we see, but when what is in the positive world is added to what is in the negative world, then they equal nothing. is nothing an absence of anything or is "nothing" a combination of 2 somethings that cancel each other out yet are valid on their own?

the universe only exists because it is in duality i think.

i speak to no-one about what my questions are, and no one has often talked in a way that i feel fundamentally attuned to, so i just will stay in my head.
i do not need to consider "insteads".

"in stead" is essentially a sanctuary that you can resort to if you are wrong.



Last edited by b9 on 22 Dec 2012, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,807

22 Dec 2012, 9:35 am

I'm a genius!


_________________
Trust no one

The old gods are still here; be wary


b9
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,969
Location: australia

22 Dec 2012, 9:45 am

Dillogic wrote:
I'm a genius!

prove it.



XFilesGeek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,926
Location: The Oort Cloud

22 Dec 2012, 9:54 am

The term "intelligence" is too broad and imprecise to be of much use to me.

If you're asking if I feel like most other people have cognitive capabilities/strengths that I do not have, then yes. I notice how my pattern of mental strengths and weaknesses is out-of-sync with what is generally expected to be the pattern of mental strengths and weaknesses of my peer group all the time. Thankfully, I'm self-aware enough to notice this and take steps to attempt to compensate.

However, I do not think what goes on between my ears is either unique or "special," and is otherwise entirely pedestrian.


_________________
"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (moderator)


Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,807

22 Dec 2012, 10:36 am

b9 wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
I'm a genius!

prove it.


One can't prove a subjective qualifier first without said qualifier being defined in an objective manner. Even then, and in my experience, if the collective's opinion is that which can't fathom the profound of the actual genius, then it's moot to even try to prove such a thing until they're alleviated to the same fantastical intellect. Which can't and can happen, never ever ever.

(O, how's it's quiet at the top and bottom. Peers!? Peeers? I never had a peer, nor a teacher. I had pets. Pets! They were my experiments. Life was my experiment. Experiment! Little and big playthings that I predicted, noted, prodded, and calculated. Monkey-bars contained answers to all questions in the human-centric verse. I saw in the sawdust sores savage and sickly such as the sourness of simple slips without scissors. Classes and social glasses took time till the calculator took bloody sulfuric sweat -- answers given in that pain. I see it; don't you see? No, of course not, only two to a seesaw; add more and tears tick off grades and assemblies. Genius made by misery, man, which made me me, man. If can't be understood, genius is all that stands, or is that dumbness? Rocks, always underfoot, never understood; rocks seem dim, but dim just lacks a stream of simple photons -- the freest and easiest creation beyond the voids. Dumb and dim are the same things? Hardly. Dumb is genius without the myelin burnt off till one is numb.)

Genius or dumb, depending on who's musing. Most see dumb, but not this son.


_________________
Trust no one

The old gods are still here; be wary


PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 431
Location: USA

22 Dec 2012, 1:31 pm

Does anyone feel unintelligent?

Sometimes, I feel that way.


_________________
ADHD-PDD/NOS//AS (I am a friend and a menace to society)
Autism, is it in you?


Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2009
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,838
Location: Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada

22 Dec 2012, 1:36 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
I am reminded of something that Callista sometimes says, also related to her post in this thread...

...and it's about how people often mistake things like unusual verbosity or encyclopedic knowledge on a single subject for intelligence.

I get that, too. I often feel dumb as a rock. When I was a child, I enjoyed reading about my special interests, and I also enjoyed learning new facts in general, but I don't believe I am better skilled at learning or understanding these things than the average person.

But as a result of overexposing myself to these books, and learning all these words that children at that age (7-12 or something) didn't bother with, I came across as a "little professor". While in actuality, I do not have an exploring mind or an inventive mind, so I am not that great at deduction from any information I am given on certain subjects.

All I do is store information. I enjoy doing it, and that's why I may come across as 'smart', because I can sometimes pull obscure facts out of my brain when someone else in the room asks about it. But a lot of times, I do not have the answer, but that will go past unnoticed.

And that reminds of what Callista has said in the past, that people will at first mistake me for a 'smart guy', and then when I do something dumb or clumsy, usually something practical, people will say "But how is it that you don't understand that? You're supposed to be smart!"

Also, here on Wrong Planet, I am not nearly as knowledgeable as a lot of other members- and on the other message board I visit, it's the same story.

I can relate peoples thinking I'm smart for similar reasons, while I'm not that smart. I already put a thread on how I feel stupid... http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt214152.html



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,692
Location: Great Britain

22 Dec 2012, 1:49 pm

I feel unintelligent because I AM unintelligent. I'm not very knowledgeable at all. People talk to me about adult situations like money, and it just goes in one ear and out the other. I suppose I will learn about money in time though, I already am because I have a job now.

I don't know anything about celebritities and I don't want to know about them either, even if I tried to read up on them I will forget it all because my brain doesn't want to know information what don't interest me, only little bits and pieces. I suppose it doesn't take a genius to know a few facts about celebrities anyway.

It seems most people (Aspies or NTs, that are generally under 60) know how to keep their computer updated and know what to do when the computer gets a virus. Me, I do not know how to keep my laptop updated, and I am literally always on my laptop. If something goes wrong, I have to get one of my NT cousins to come out and look at it. Once I somehow got my old computer stuck in safe mode and I didn't know how to get it out of it again. I don't even know how I got it in safe mode in the beginning.
I have asked people what to do, and I sort of know what to do to keep my laptop updated, but it still all sounds so complicated. So I only know the basics of how to work a computer.

Yes, I feel unintelligent all the time. I don't think I'm that intelligent anyway.


_________________
Straight Female
From East UK (Essex)
Aged 27

On antidepressants (50mg Sertraline) ~ Helps control emotional outbursts.


CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,241
Location: The Netherlands

22 Dec 2012, 3:49 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I feel less intelligent than many of the people on here. It seems that a lot of the members here are able to have lengthy and wordy conversations about a topic that has a very simple title. I read the posts, get scared, run away and start cracking the jokes and one liners. I know it's not the way to go, but I am CockneyRebel after all and Cockneys and their like-spirited people do have a dry and cheeky sense of humour. I'm just surprised that my sense of humour hasn't got me banned yet.


Don't get down on yourself, CockneyRebel. I've been doing much the same as you on the other forum I post on (a comic book forum). I know that I don't have the brain muscle to participate with the big guys on the more serious topics, so what I do is provide jokes and sometimes funny observations. Yes, there are topics I know a bit more about, so I'll have serious posts, too, but I don't worry about "not pulling my weight" like I used to, 2 years ago. I just enjoy posting there (and here) too much to quit. So I'm just posting my way, and the only times I refrain from posting is when I have nothing to say.

Tollorin wrote:
I can relate peoples thinking I'm smart for similar reasons, while I'm not that smart. I already put a thread on how I feel stupid... http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt214152.html


Another thing I would like to add is that IQ test scores don't always mean that much... I've done well on the WAIS test, having taken it at various points in my life, and I keep scoring around 130. But apparently the WAIS test does not measure how one's intelligence is implemented in practical real-life situations, because I do not feel as though I operate at 1.3 times brainpower of the average person. Much the opposite, in fact. I'm good at solving the neat little puzzles and figuring out the patterns and word association in an IQ test, but that says absolutely nothing about creativity or innovation, things like that.


_________________
clarity of thought before rashness of action