Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 4:04 am

I do, frequently.

I'm nowhere near intelligent enough to be an intellectual but I'm not stupid enough to be considered disabled or to fit in with others. No man's land.

Anyone agree? :)

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 4:09 am

I feel immensely stupid when I am unable to understand how something works immediately, despite the fact that it seems obvious to everyone around me. It sometimes feels like I need a manual for everything.

On the other hand, I am very good at maths so I make up for it. Like I said in the other thread about Aspies and intelligence, I think everybody has an equal brain, it's more about how you use it. Everyone is intelligent in their own way.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 4:18 am

I feel this way all the time. I feel too normal to be aspie but too disabled to be normal. I am in between.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 4:29 am

A sign of being intelligent is feeling stupid from time to time, even Einstein probably thought he was not smart enough ( no quote but i bet you can find one).

You should be worried when you never feel mentally inadequate.

cnidocyte
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2011, 4:41 am

I sometimes feel stupid when I struggle with things most people find easy but I've found this goes both ways, lots of things that the average person finds difficult, I find easy. This is why people always think I'm an idiot for a while but slowly start to think I'm a genius when they see me do things that they can't. Stuff like programming, building electronics circuits, manipulating chemistry/physics theory and coming up with complex metaphysical philosophical theories are things that most people consider complex and as a result they think you're smart if you can do them easily.

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2011, 5:04 am

When I listen to the average soap opera watching moron I feel very clever indeed.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 5:21 am

Yes, I can relate to all what you wrote above. Sometimes my slowness appears as me being unintelligent. I'm easily distracted and my memory is somewhat faulty, so they can also handicap me. Despite these I can be more subtle and smart than the average person and do things others can't (or rather, don't). It's partly connected to obsessiveness and a lot goes to an "I can do it!" type of self-reassurance. One of the IQ tests on the internet showed me that the stereotype of having good spatial and pattern recognition skills applies to me too.

I've read somewhere that knowing when you make progress is what makes you a genious. Einstein was probably one of those who were aware of this.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 6:18 am

I do feel stupid a lot of the times, socially and intellectually. In fact, I feel stupid practically all the time when I'm around people (except for my close relatives).

I have a friend who corrects me all the time, whatever I say, and she sometimes makes me feel so dimwitted.

But I know I am a stupid person anyway, because of the stupid things I say and do, and I look stupid too. People in the street treat me like I'm stupid, like they'll turf me out of where I'm sitting if they want to sit down, because they know I wouldn't retaliate like some other youth might. Also, people tend to stand right on top of me in bus stops, instead of standing in a bigger space, so I know that according to them it doesn't matter how I feel about people standing right on top of me, because I have ''I am a mug and I will put up with anything'' written on my forehead.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 6:23 am

Joe90 wrote:
I do feel stupid a lot of the times, socially and intellectually.

I don't feel like that, but I know what you might mean. When I'm on the Internet I sort of feel like there's about ten different voices, each shouting their points, and it becomes a cacophony of noise.

Whereabouts do you live Joe90?

And people shouldn't take the piss out of you. How often does this disrespect happen? Your body language might have a bit to do with it?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 6:35 am

I feel the same way from time to time. I feel a little stupid at times and I'm not the brightest member on WP. However I don't feel so disabled that I can't comprehend things.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 6:38 am

As a kid, I never idenified with being smart or inteligent. I always believed I was "stupid" and "dumb". I had zero self estem as a kid.

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 8:10 am

I always feel stupid. I could know everything there is to know and I'd still be an idiot in my own eyes. But that's just me.

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2011, 8:15 am

Nope I feel v. smart and always have. I think brain power is just like bodily power, i.e. you exercise it you get stronger and faster, you neglect it you get weaker and slower.

When I went for an AS diagnosis, I was administered an IQ test without specifically being told it was such. I didn't try much on some questions and just said pass on them, but ended up with a 'very superior' score overall, with a ret*d score in specific subsections I wasn't trying on. My guess is I could have scored higher if I knew what was going on.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 11:59 am

I wish I was of average intelligence. The world would be a much better place.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 12:00 pm

Constantly.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 12:01 pm

How unintelligent does one have to be before they would not use words like unintelligent?