Need to help 19 yr old son learn about his autism

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 2:34 pm

I could try to track her, she's probably posting on a parents support site. - or maybe WP admin could email her.

I hoped she would argue against what I was saying and then I could have gently tried to show how the young man had his own perspective world view and it wasn't just a matter of a parent being right and this young man wrong, and he was the problem. You know open up the discussion to the bigger issues.

Hmmm.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 6:39 pm

It might be better to let her come back on her own. Tracking her to another forum could be seen as stalking.

If you are that inclined to explain your position, you could always PM her but I wouldn't go beyond that. Just gotta remember that alot of the new posters here - especially the NT ones - are not really aware of our intentions or how something that may seem rude, condescending or aggressive to them, really has none of that emotional baggage attached to it from the largely ASD population here. I've reminded more than a few new posters of this fact when they take offense at a reply.

Also, most other autism support sites are nowhere near as active as this one. I've been on some that I've only checked weekly or less. Most of them are nothing like the daily community we have here so there is the chance she just hasn't checked back in yet.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 8:36 pm

memesplice wrote:
I could try to track her, she's probably posting on a parents support site. - or maybe WP admin could email her.

I hoped she would argue against what I was saying and then I could have gently tried to show how the young man had his own perspective world view and it wasn't just a matter of a parent being right and this young man wrong, and he was the problem. You know open up the discussion to the bigger issues.

Hmmm.

This is not a debate forum.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 8:41 pm

Lets just let the whole "should she or shouldn't she" arguement go.
She's asking for some advice regarding her son's situation.

Though exactly what advice she wants is somewhat unclear - which may be why the thread devolved into another subject entirely.

As far as I can she, she's asking US how SHE can discuss ASD with her diagnosed son, in order to assist him in dealing with his life better.

The best way to do this - since it would appear that he's high functioning - is to intereest him in doing his OWN research on the subject and figuring alot of it out on his own. Reading these forums would be a big step in that direction. As would any other research on the subject. But it has to be him, and he has to be willing.

You can't shove data down the throat of an unwilling recipient and hope it will do any good. You might get away with offering him a book, or convincing him to watch a movie or television show with someone ASD in it. But don't spring it on him or expect him not to retaliate if you ask him to watch a movie with him and pop "Adam" into the DVD player... You'd have to say "I'd like to watch a movie with an ASD lead with you" and see what his response is.

"Just once - do it for mom - and we'll talk about the movie afterwards and then I'll never bring it up again unless you want to"

By simply doing what they are designed to do something large and magnificient happens. In this sense they show us how to live; The only barometer you have is your heart. When you spot your flower, you can't let anything get in your way. - John Laroche

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 3:29 pm

memesplice wrote:

Hmmm.

What about what the young man likes to do? If he likes gaming writing or anything else, or what his obsessions are, Couldnt they use that to help with school and anger issues?
For me I like reading, and games almost to the point a while ago that I would miss out on life, however now I know there are gaming dsibaliity support groups, also taking out anger on a game came be awesome?!?!?!
and what about programming for college?

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 3:30 pm

Keniichi wrote:
memesplice wrote:

Hmmm.

What about what the young man likes to do? If he likes gaming writing or anything else, or what his obsessions are, Couldnt they use that to help with school and anger issues?
For me I like reading, and games almost to the point a while ago that I would miss out on life, however now I know there are gaming dsibaliity support groups, also taking out anger on a game came be awesome?!?!?!
and what about programming for college?

Also forgot was just using gaming as an example. Any hobby he has can help right? Like the gaming example?