Need to help 19 yr old son learn about his autism

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 4:26 am

He might not think that when he reads it here.

He might also not think that if a journalist wanting a AS my-pstory picks up scattered details in posts and tracks him down. I could.

I do not think they have the right. He's not a child.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 4:35 am

Avengilante wrote:
First, WTF is he doing in a 'group home'? Putting an autistic person in a 'group' anything is only going to exacerbate their worst sensory overload issues. How can you expect him to want to understand his condition when YOU clearly don't understand it?

I imagine the state may have placed him there. Though he's a legal adult he's still considered a "youth" and the state has different provisions for "disabled" youth who commit crimes or pose a danger to themselves or others than it does others. He may have aged out of the system and it was arranged he would go to a group home if his mother was afraid to have him back at home due to his violent outbursts.

Avengilante wrote:
Second, don't expect college to work out unless he's driven by an obsessive special interest. You're battling lack of focus problems as well as Executive Function impairments and social adjustment issues that will put him at odds with authority figures of all kinds, because NT people DO NOT UNDERSTAND THOSE WITH AUTISM AND DON'T CARE TO LEARN.

This isn't entirely true. My field of study was only peripherally related to one of my "special interests" and I had to take many courses which had nothing to do with my "special interests", and many courses I absolutely hated. There were many people there with AS in masters programs who did quite well despite their social impairments or unique learning styles.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 5:55 am

Anyway if they want my support I'll give it to them,but at the same time I will not support anything that places blame, judgement or worthlessness on that young man.

BTw, if he has a facebook/other page I could correlate what's been written so far, and get pretty near, given the time. Ie - you never know who will do what with the information further down the line. To openly discuss the details of sexual abuse of another adult requires a degree of incomprehension of the possibilities it genrates.

Had my parents done this to me at his age I would have gone ballistic.

Had a journalist or researcher got hold of my intimate details in this way and published them anecdotally in a book , journal article I would have found that person and
gone round and had some serious words. Why?- because I could.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 6:03 am

I perhaps would've left out the sexual abuse thing because it wasn't really necessary for the rest of the story ("pretty major issues" would've done the trick), but I otherwise feel that the need for help outweighs the need for privacy in this case, especially because it won't be that easy to track him down based on the data we have.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 6:11 am

memesplice wrote:

He might also not think that if a journalist wanting a AS my-pstory picks up scattered details in posts and tracks him down. I could.

I'm fairly certain the information the original poster gave was too generic to reveal her son's identity.

If you want to wage a battle for privacy of those with AS/ASD you might be better served address the parents who make youtube videos of their children and their conditions.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 6:15 am

Artros wrote:
I perhaps would've left out the sexual abuse thing because it wasn't really necessary for the rest of the story ("pretty major issues" would've done the trick), but I otherwise feel that the need for help outweighs the need for privacy in this case, especially because it won't be that easy to track him down based on the data we have.

I can agree to that . Maybe the paragraph containing that information could be deleted by the OP. If that is done I will ask a mod to remove my related comments.

Little less blame and more healthy respect here, Okay.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 6:24 am

Chronos wrote:
memesplice wrote:

I'm fairly certain the information the original poster gave was too generic to reveal her son's identity.

If you want to wage a battle for privacy of those with AS/ASD you might be better served address the parents who make youtube videos of their children and their conditions.

If wanted to track this guy I'd do twenty questions and slip them into the discussion.

Where do you live?

Have you always lived there?

How far do you have to travel to the group home?

Is it a mixed group home?

That's four- if they answer, and being disclosers they would, I have a target area.

If the anwer to 2 was yes, I have a reasonable clue this is where the court case might have been held. I go looking through public records from 11 years ago, newpaper articles, I cross reference that against court cases where a 15- 19 year old is placed in state care due to violence.

That's in four questions/moves.

I also look on other sites to see if they have posted there and the story is repeated.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 6:41 am

memesplice wrote:
Chronos wrote:
memesplice wrote:

If wanted to track this guy I'd do twenty questions and slip them into the discussion.

Where do you live?

Have you always lived there?

How far do you have to travel to the group home?

Is it a mixed group home?

That's four- if they answer, and being disclosers they would, I have a target area.

If the anwer to 2 was yes, I have a reasonable clue this is where the court case might have been held. I go looking through public records from 11 years ago, newpaper articles, I cross reference that against court cases where a 15- 19 year old is placed in state care due to violence.

That's in four questions/moves.

I also look on other sites to see if they have posted there and the story is repeated.

They have not provided this information (and I doubt they would upon request)

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 6:48 am

Hopefuly now they won't , what they have written already closes down possibilities for them to discuss things like this if they are aware of the potential for this young man being ID'd through disclosure.

If they feel the need to disclose every personal aspect of their own lives that's up to them . If they expose aspects of that young man's life, without his consent , then it is not.

Stike the description of abuse then there is little problem here except orientating them to see the issue isn't soley centred around the young man and is more than a bunch of individual references and labels.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 11:56 am

It's nice that you guys have reached a consensus but, in the meantime, have you noticed that it is all a moot point since you seem to have scared off the OP?

Bottom line - this woman was looking for support for a son in trouble. Your well thought out moral arguements have successfully deterred this mother from asking for help in the first place. A b***h slap in the face for daring to outline their troubles and trying to find suggestions, or references or opinions from those that may have already been there. She wanted to learn about this scary new DX and what they can do to help their son. Now she may not do that here - when WP is one of the best places to do so. WTG.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 1:26 pm

Harsh - but I think justified when all things taken into consideration. If she wants to come back
and remove the abuse data, I will try to offer her what support I can if it is appropriate and I'm sure everyone else will as well.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 8:38 pm

She does not have to do anything. She has not violated terms of service in any way, shape or form. A scared mother reaching out for help - gee, do you think maybe she might have provided as much information as she could so she could get a comprehensive answer? She wouldn't be the first terrified parent to offer too much information in trying to cover all the bases that may or may not be at work in a situation.

You made your point - rather forcefully right from the get go and then bludgeoned it to death. I just hope you realize that there is a bigger picture here besides your outraged sense of justice and privacy. Parents come here - many at what they consider their darkest hour. You points may have merit but they can be made much more diplomatically while still providing the information and support that the Parents forum is intended to do.

Sorry if that's harsh but I'm assuming that you've never been a terrified mother before. It's difficult to imagine what it feels like if you've never been there.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 9:36 pm

Besides, sexual abuse could be relevant as it has some unique effects, different from other kinds of trauma. The secretiveness of the trauma and the mix of pleasure with abuse are both unique features common in sexual abuse and rare in other trauma.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 1:49 am

draelynn wrote:
She does not have to do anything. She has not violated terms of service in any way, shape or form. A scared mother reaching out for help - gee, do you think maybe she might have provided as much information as she could so she could get a comprehensive answer? She wouldn't be the first terrified parent to offer too much information in trying to cover all the bases that may or may not be at work in a situation.

You made your point - rather forcefully right from the get go and then bludgeoned it to death. I just hope you realize that there is a bigger picture here besides your outraged sense of justice and privacy. Parents come here - many at what they consider their darkest hour. You points may have merit but they can be made much more diplomatically while still providing the information and support that the Parents forum is intended to do.

Sorry if that's harsh but I'm assuming that you've never been a terrified mother before. It's difficult to imagine what it feels like if you've never been there.

I have never been a terrified mother , that is true. That must be tough and frightening for her . I could argue the right and wrongs of this for a very long time and it would achieve nothing, and if she really is that frightened it certainly wouldn't help her right now.

She came looking for support and got a blast of rarefied HFA justice/reason thinking in return. It was well intended, but I forget the powerful emotional, non- reasoning side that goes with love and child raising.

So I will set any logic- reason arguments aside if she wishes to return. But I would ask she respect the rights of the adult she is trying to care for.

So what do we do now?

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 12:00 pm

We hope she returns but other than that there isn't much we can do.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 2:34 pm

I could try to track her, she's probably posting on a parents support site. - or maybe WP admin could email her.

I hoped she would argue against what I was saying and then I could have gently tried to show how the young man had his own perspective world view and it wasn't just a matter of a parent being right and this young man wrong, and he was the problem. You know open up the discussion to the bigger issues.

Hmmm.