Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

KWifler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2011, 4:15 pm

Hi there,

I'm sure these subjects have been mentioned a lot already but I just have to put them in here for now. This is sorta a questionnaire so I hope you will respond with plenty of yes and no. I expect people with Aspergers mostly, but it could apply to anyone really.

(Q) OK, so the first issue is about regularly being in an environment around people of all maturity levels. Have you ever been approached by someone and asked why you hate them just out of the blue, in a straightforward way, by someone you possibly don't even recognize as an acquaintance?
(A) This has happened to me dozens of times in school growing up. The people asking were usually girls (I'm male) and I didn't think I knew them very well. So, I think it is because they had feelings or wanted to date or something. I never did anything mean in school unless you call not noticing someone who doesn't engage you being mean, I guess.

(Q) Secondly, I have heard that people with autism commonly have other diseases that affect their lives. I was wondering how these other diseases affected your ability to socialize, if they got better or worse or if they came in at some point in your life.
(A) Mine is Crohn's disease. It was considered life threatening and I think it caused all of my important social research and experience to go down the drain. It will continue to haunt me for the rest of my life. I used to be so smart but now I can hardly think at all.

(Q) Thirdly, do you feel a kind of pressure in your head or pinched nerve feeling that could be painful and be highly variable, specifically when being around people (physical bodies, not internet chats)?
(A) I have noticed that I like chatting about things, but this pressure or pinched nerve feeling in my head comes on and makes me very irate. People ask me why I'm so disrespectful and negative, but I don't even realize it is happening. I later realized that my mindset was if I am going to be in intense pain (while ignoring my pain because I don't understand it) I deserve some extra leeway. I have lots of fun in online games with chat bars because it keeps my main attention away from socializing and provides a great stress release mechanism, even though I am usually the biggest chatter there.

(Q) Do you find that you don't learn in social situations, or that you have less emotional sensitivity while in a social situation, but when you are alone or comfortable you find yourself processing the social situation and realizing not only how other people felt but that you also didn't realize how you felt as well?
(A) I am exactly this way. When I am socializing, I have no idea how I feel, and I am poor at determining how others feel, unless they strongly show classic symptoms of emotion. I have pondered social situations while awake at night and realized many times when someone was trying to flirt with me or needed some reassurance or support, yet I was completely oblivious to it. Sometimes I realize things as much as a year later, such as one time when a girl tried to ask me out in school and I had no idea what was happening.

OK so that concludes my first post here. I'm now a recluse in my room every day. Thanks for reading and answering!

Scandium
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Orange County, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Cluster

12 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

1. No, but I've been asked why I don't talk to people or why I'm ignoring them. I've also been asked why I was making funny faces at them. I wasn't trying to do any of these things.

2. No. I don't think people with autism have any more diseases than other people. (except maybe intestinal problems, I heard)

3. No, I don't think so. But sometimes, after socializing for too long, I get depressed.

4. Yes. I got a 100% on a test that was supposed to tell you how well you tell someone's emotions from their eyes. But I can't do that very well in everyday conversation. There's just too much going on.