Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 8:52 am

Has anyone gone back to elementary school or other to get school records? I am trying to figure out if that is even a possibility since I am 43. Basically, I remember in 4th grade I was put in a "special ed" class, although my mom claims that she does NOT remember. I remember sitting next to a boy that rocked back and forth while the 5-6 of us were in the lunch room alone. Yes, that's a special ed class to me. Then at some point I was moved from there to an advanced class. Then I was put back in my regular class. It's all a bit blurry to me and I don't remember the time frame, but I do know for sure that I was put in this class. I assume that back then they just could not figure out where I fit in. I would love to see any records of this, because honestly, it ticks me off that the school was so lousy to not diagnose me or help me out. My mother again, has claimed she doesn't remember any of it.

Anyway, I don't live in the US any longer, so I'm not sure if it's even possible to do this so many years later.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 11:10 am

Odds are those records have since been destroyed. Many states allow schools to destroy records after a certain number of years after the student graduated.

Of course then again maybe not, Although mine should have been destroyed by 2003, it turned out that being persistent helped because some of my records were actually put into the basement of one of the schools I went to and then forgotten (to the point where the paper was fragile).

Never hurts to ask and be somewhat persistent if your situation was a weird one and/or there is quite a bit of beuacracy in the district.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2011, 12:20 pm

I think my school system holds them for ten years. maybe I should call and see if they still have them.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 1:17 pm

thanks! will check then...sigh

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 1:50 pm

I think my mum kept all of mine until I begged her to pitch them so I could finnaly be "free".