I found a potential relationship.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 8:20 pm

Ok so I met this guy a few months ago at a bus stop and he asked me out to lunch but I was really depressed that weak so I turned him down but still talked to him for the remainder of the bus ride. He is not the most physically attractive guy a little fatter than I prefer....but good personality. Anyways I ran into him a couple days ago and we talked for a bit on the bus and then I went on a walk with him and we smoked a bit of cannabis and he told me some of his spiritual views(basically he is a christian but is not in a specific denomination and is not one of those extremists) I am not religious at all but I have simular views but not in the christian sense. So anyways he invited me to go to his church which I might do just to check it out being the open minded individual I am.

But I am just kind of nervous because I really don't feel any connection to any specific beliefs...I would of course be honest about that and next time we talk I will be more honest about how much I drink...he seemed not to be into heavy drinking so I kind of sugar coated how much I drink but I would be up front about it if he did want to potentially date. Anyways how much of a difference between beliefs is good for a relationship if you have a good bond but just rather different ideas about the world that still seem connected?

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 8:57 pm

For me, I can't be with someone who is really serious about religion, and by really serious, I mean a significant portion of their life revolves around a 2000 year old text. Going to church and believing in God is one thing, but living your life according to what it says in the Bible is quite another. I don't count the 10 Commandments because most of it is common sense. Don't cheat, don't lie, don't kill, don't rape, don't pray to Buddha. I mean if someone can't listen to certain music because God doesn't like it, or if they have to bless my chocolate before I eat it (I've had that happen before. Thank goodness she was there to save me, because apparently the Devil could have infected that piece of chocolate. Jesus really is my Lord and Savior) which thankfully isn't the majority. I've generally found that the people I get along with best aren't overly religious, mainly because their mind is free and not chained to a static idea. I don't take very many things seriously, especially something like religion.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 9:13 pm

Mindslave wrote:
For me, I can't be with someone who is really serious about religion, and by really serious, I mean a significant portion of their life revolves around a 2000 year old text. Going to church and believing in God is one thing, but living your life according to what it says in the Bible is quite another. I don't count the 10 Commandments because most of it is common sense. Don't cheat, don't lie, don't kill, don't rape, don't pray to Buddha. I mean if someone can't listen to certain music because God doesn't like it, or if they have to bless my chocolate before I eat it (I've had that happen before. Thank goodness she was there to save me, because apparently the Devil could have infected that piece of chocolate. Jesus really is my Lord and Savior) which thankfully isn't the majority. I've generally found that the people I get along with best aren't overly religious, mainly because their mind is free and not chained to a static idea. I don't take very many things seriously, especially something like religion.

Well yeah I do not think this dude is overly religious..obviously I will have to talk to him a bit more and find out. I certainly do not plan on jumping into anything and I will be clear about that.

HybridAP
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2011, 11:41 pm

It depends on whether he can accept that you will probably not be as religious as he is, even if he might not bee too religious himself. Just be yourself and state it up front. I know from first hand that, no matter how much you want a relationship, it's not worth it if it is one where you have to lie about your core beliefs and personality.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 9:50 am

HybridAP wrote:
It depends on whether he can accept that you will probably not be as religious as he is, even if he might not bee too religious himself. Just be yourself and state it up front. I know from first hand that, no matter how much you want a relationship, it's not worth it if it is one where you have to lie about your core beliefs and personality.

Well yeah that is important....because I do not plan on following a belief or anything just to please someone else. But yes I have learned that its not good to jump into relationships.....and things like that should be made clear before even starting the relationship. But yeah I don't even know if things would go that direction.