Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Melinda7879
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2011, 9:15 pm

Click ---> Neurotypical Syndrome

This made me laugh until my eyes were tearing up :lol:

Last edited by Melinda7879 on 16 Aug 2011, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnOldman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2011, 9:17 pm

:)

Scandium
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Orange County, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Cluster

16 Aug 2011, 9:33 pm

At the bottom, there's a link that says "Your Overlords". WrongPlanet.net is mentioned on that page.

Also, if you search "Neurotypical" on Google, you get to the Uncyclopedia page. Maybe someone Google-bombed it? :P

Last edited by Scandium on 16 Aug 2011, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2011, 9:34 pm

:lol:

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2011, 10:33 pm

There's a lot of truth in this. Before I was diagnosed I was 100% convinced that there was something wrong with everybody else. Why did they enjoy going out at night and dancing around in dark clubs getting drunk, then spending the rest of the week talking about it before repeating it again at the weekend. Why are they so disinterested in studying interesting subjects unless they're forced to by some school/college curriculum? Why do they lie so much and get involved in absurd social intrigues and backstabbing and "he said" / "she said" nonsense that just goes on and on and on? Why do they attach so much value to social recognition and climbing social hierarchies instead of progressing in a tangible way such as in knowledge/ability in a special interest. There are even scientific studies showing people with AS score lower in measures of envy -- hardly surprising as we know how to be happy and content with truly awesome things in life, like books and special interests.

The advent of computers/internet/phones etc. are making the world more accommodating for AS people. and rates of AS seem to be going up, so I'm sure a couple of hundred years from now the autistic genes will be so widespread that having some AS traits will become the norm.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 10:49 pm

oceandrop wrote:
There's a lot of truth in this. Before I was diagnosed I was 100% convinced that there was something wrong with everybody else. Why did they enjoy going out at night and dancing around in dark clubs getting drunk, then spending the rest of the week talking about it before repeating it again at the weekend. Why are they so disinterested in studying interesting subjects unless they're forced to by some school/college curriculum? Why do they lie so much and get involved in absurd social intrigues and backstabbing and "he said" / "she said" nonsense that just goes on and on and on? Why do they attach so much value to social recognition and climbing social hierarchies instead of progressing in a tangible way such as in knowledge/ability in a special interest. There are even scientific studies showing people with AS score lower in measures of envy -- hardly surprising as we know how to be happy and content with truly awesome things in life, like books and special interests.

The advent of computers/internet/phones etc. are making the world more accommodating for AS people. and rates of AS seem to be going up, so I'm sure a couple of hundred years from now the autistic genes will be so widespread that having some AS traits will become the norm.

Actually, research has recently been done that has measured at least some AS traits in thirty percent of the population. AS traits are typical in a large part of the population. So in a way, by definition, AS traits are already "neuro-typical" in a large part of the population.

On any given day, almost anyone can display at least one of the traits we associate with Autism. And on the other hand, on any given day some people with autism show no visible behavioral traits associated with the disorder.

Depends on the individual and the circumstance. I don't think I have ever met anyone I would consider neurotypical. They all seem a bit neuro-divregent to me. But as observers we only see people's behavior; we don't get to see the inner workings of their nervous system. At this point neurologists aren't completely sure what the specific neurological differences are.

Basically it's somewhat of a guessing game.

Last edited by aghogday on 16 Aug 2011, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musicman2059
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2011, 11:20 pm

I approve of this.

Even though it's supposed to be sarcasm. I felt better about myself after reading it.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 11:57 pm

It is somewhat true.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

17 Aug 2011, 1:50 am

I practically died laughing when I saw the fake 3-D cat scan.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 3:17 am

i wont call it sarcasm per-se, more of a directional reversal.
that site has turned the critera NTs use to diagnose us back at the NTs, from our perspective.

i actually knew this site before, and i have used it to explain my problems with the world to my (NT) housemates; they found it to be quite insightful

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 4:53 am

oceandrop wrote:
There are even scientific studies showing people with AS score lower in measures of envy -- hardly surprising as we know how to be happy and content with truly awesome things in life, like books and special interests

I didn't know this, that's intriguing. I've just posted on the thread about mistaken pride regarding this same thing. Some of my problems have perhaps come from the fact that I don't get jealous of people. So, when I'm telling someone something about what I've done or bought, etc, I'm not aware that I might make the person jealous, as I would not be jealous if someone else said it to me.

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2011, 6:28 am

"NT's often suffer because when they have a tantrum, no one will make excuses for the tantrum."

*bangs on table, choking with laughter*

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 7:42 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I practically died laughing when I saw the fake 3-D cat scan.

I'm actually pretty sure that's not fake. There was a story some time ago of a construction worker who got his head impaled on a large metal pole. His personality completely changed, but he survived.

Great article. I especially loved the fake DSM criteria.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2011, 8:05 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I didn't know this, that's intriguing. I've just posted on the thread about mistaken pride regarding this same thing. Some of my problems have perhaps come from the fact that I don't get jealous of people. So, when I'm telling someone something about what I've done or bought, etc, I'm not aware that I might make the person jealous, as I would not be jealous if someone else said it to me.

Yes I am 100% the same. It causes huge problems in the long run.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 8:52 am

aghogday wrote:
oceandrop wrote:

Actually, research has recently been done that has measured at least some AS traits in thirty percent of the population. AS traits are typical in a large part of the population. So in a way, by definition, AS traits are already "neuro-typical" in a large part of the population.

On any given day, almost anyone can display at least one of the traits we associate with Autism. And on the other hand, on any given day some people with autism show no visible behavioral traits associated with the disorder.

Depends on the individual and the circumstance. I don't think I have ever met anyone I would consider neurotypical. They all seem a bit neuro-divregent to me. But as observers we only see people's behavior; we don't get to see the inner workings of their nervous system. At this point neurologists aren't completely sure what the specific neurological differences are.

Basically it's somewhat of a guessing game.

I highly doubt most of the population is going to have AS at any time.....everyone has traits of various mental disorders, that does not mean they have the disorders. For instance it is normal to feel anxious if you are in some sort of danger or in a situation that is cause for anxiety like before a test or job interview or something.....people who experiance this do not have an anxiety disorder but they are experiancing symptoms someone with an anxiety disorder could experiance for no real reason.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 9:11 am

My Mom, when teaching WGST, used a similar site (ISNT) to introduce the concept of autistic rights to her students. One of them apparently stopped halfway through to loudly exclaim 'oh my god I think I have this condition!'