Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

henix
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Aug 2011, 4:46 am

What do they mean by this sentence at the buttom of this page? It's clear that this website is not only for Aspies but also for Autistics so do they mean that Autism IS a disease but Asperger's is not?? It sounds silly to me.

Dingo7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2011, 4:58 am

Im not sure either but im going to throw it out there and have a guess...

I suppose it means Aspergers is a difference rather then a disease... as in there is nothing wrong with any one person having Aspergers... a disease would imply that the person has something wrong with them that they would rather not have...

Well thats my take on it anyway...

Edit: Oh and i suppose its just down there as a reminder... ???

henix
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Aug 2011, 5:10 am

I would rather not have Asperger's. A disease is an undesirable difference with the majority and so is Asperger's.

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2011, 5:16 am

This site's a bit more 'Asperger-focused', I think.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 5:33 am

I agree with the sentence at the bottom. It's not a disease and I don't wish to be seen as someone who has a disease, just because my brain is 10-15% larger than that of people of my assigned birth order.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 6:14 am

the entire autism spectrum is not a disease.
a disease is something you get and then cure; autism is something you are born with and will die with, therefor not a disease by definition

a disorder would be the correct medical term, if anything, but i also resent that classification

Tsukimi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2011, 7:24 am

Not everything that is a problem is a disease/disorder. Being a woman in Afghanistan, a gay in any conservative Country, or simply being unattractive, are all things you'd rather not be, but these are not diseases at all.

Then not all Aspies would like to be NTs but that is a different point.

To7m
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2011, 7:28 am

izzeme wrote:
a disease is something you get and then cure; autism is something you are born with and will die with, therefor not a disease by definition

That's not an accurate way of defining disease, as babies can be born with AIDS, grow up and then die with it. I'd guess the reminder's purpose could be anywhere between an encouragement to Aspergics (and probably Autistics in general) to telling curebies that they are unwelcome... ask Alex?

(Edited a quote in)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 8:45 am

Well I would say disorder or condition is a better word for it....obviously most people in the world do not have AS or any other form of autism, so it is definatly something. so mental disorder/condition seems a better way to define it as it causes differences how the brain works that are disabling to some......I think there are some negatives though I have also noticed a few positive sides to it as well but it's still in the DSM and the negatives to exist so I say its a disorder.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 9:20 am

I think the OP is asking why it says Asperger's and not autism. The answer is that either statement would be true: autism is not a disease either.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 5:15 pm

henix wrote:
What do they mean by this sentence at the buttom of this page? It's clear that this website is not only for Aspies but also for Autistics so do they mean that Autism IS a disease but Asperger's is not?? It sounds silly to me.

I think it's an issue of semantics. I don't like the word "disease" either, because it sounds very urgent and dangerous. It also sounds kinda whiny, if that makes any sense. ASD cannot be anywhere close to ebola or pancreatic cancer or something like that. I prefer calling it a mental disorder or disability or condition, but disease just sounds kind of extreme.

Oh, and I don't personally think of autism as a disease either. Even the most extreme cases, IMO, doesn't compare to ebola. For those who do, well shame on them. They are just being snobs, thinking that it's okay to use a word that offends them on other disabled people.

But, yes, it is only a silly game of semantics.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

17 Aug 2011, 5:43 pm

I believe it's a difference. How could it possibly be a disease?

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 5:51 pm

Of course Alex is the only person who can say with authority what he had in mind when he wrote that but I think the reason it's there is that Asperger's syndrome is a different way of viewing the world. Nothing more. People seem to call it a disease because they want to cure it but the fact is there is no "cure". And there never will be. How do you cure how you think and perceive the world around you? I don't think it's possible without major neurological impact. Aspies are different. Not broken. Not defective. Different. And frankly, I like being different.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 6:29 pm

According to Merriam-Webster, a disease is a condition of the living animal or plant body or of one of its parts that impairs normal functioning and is typically manifested by distinguishing signs and symptoms. So maybe technically it is. Disease has the connotation of being contagious though, which autism/Asperger's is not. :)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 6:45 pm

johnsmcjohn wrote:
Of course Alex is the only person who can say with authority what he had in mind when he wrote that but I think the reason it's there is that Asperger's syndrome is a different way of viewing the world. Nothing more. People seem to call it a disease because they want to cure it but the fact is there is no "cure". And there never will be. How do you cure how you think and perceive the world around you? I don't think it's possible without major neurological impact. Aspies are different. Not broken. Not defective. Different. And frankly, I like being different.

There are quite a few disorders that don't have a cure...and I think it is a little more than a 'different' way of veiwing the world...it does cause some real issues for some people and its ridiculous to ignore it and try and sugar coat it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 6:46 pm

Zen wrote:
According to Merriam-Webster, a disease is a condition of the living animal or plant body or of one of its parts that impairs normal functioning and is typically manifested by distinguishing signs and symptoms. So maybe technically it is. Disease has the connotation of being contagious though, which autism/Asperger's is not. :)

Well if you want to get technical disorders do fall under the definition of disease, however it is more accurate to call it a disorder because that is much more specific.