Page 7 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

PenguinCoder
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jul 2012, 4:22 am

i know i have SLD from a young age including: dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia. but i still felt this wasn't all.
iv looked at schizophrenia perhaps with negative symptoms, but this was no match at all
iv looked at bipolar to explain meltdowns but this was no match
iv looked at several personality disorders
borderline cote my eye because of the self harming behavior but a virgin can't quite be promiscuous and im not manipulative or impulsive. on the other hand i have experimented with psychedelic drugs. im not shore if i fit that MO? probably not

my SLD teacher in high school once told me he believed i had aspergers. im now in my late 20s
looking at every thing Aspergers explains a lot. although i don't have flat-affect but i did as a kid. iv imitated my pears and learned to be expressive thew my expressiveness is a bit over bored, it is one of the things people say they like about me.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 7:33 am

Anxiety and depression.

anjhuzen
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jul 2012, 4:21 pm

i was originally diagnosed with adhd and depression, when i was around seven, then bipolar disorder when i was thirteen or so, and then finally got my asd diagnosis this year.

Patchwork
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2012, 7:34 am

I thought I had OCD and possibly bipolar, though I didn't fit the criteria exactly. When I was diagnosed I was told it was AS with OCD traits, but they were reluctant to formally diagnose OCD as the behaviours of OCD and AS can overlap quite a lot.

As an adult I think the OCD affected me more as a child and teen, and the AS I think is quite mild, or at least I'm intelligent enough to compensate for my lack of social skills by analysing and mimicking other people.

birchbark
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2012, 7:13 pm

People have been telling me (unofficially) that I had some OCD traits since I can remember. When I started trying to find out what I was, I went to OCD and Schizoid Personality Disorder first. Then, I found AS and didn't need to look any further. I don't have an official diagnosis because, like Patchwork above me, my symptoms are either mild enough that I can get by without assistance, or I learned at a young age that it was easier to just act like everyone else as much as possible.

monkeykoder
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Aug 2012, 10:54 pm

My only official diagnosis is SAD and I was put on Paxil which both did and didn't help and the withdrawals are freaky. As I am gifted I've mostly been ignored. I'm just starting to carve out my niche in society as I am 26 and it took me a little longer than most to get through college. I've found ways of "socializing" at least at the work level and my hobbies have developed my coordination to an acceptable level. While my life hasn't been as easy as many I've met I've had a lot of support from my father and two really good friends with my father and one of the really good friends likely aspies. I apologize if this seems a little off for this thread but I'm coming out of a bout of depression and that tends to make me a little optimistic in my outlook.

Samian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2012, 11:59 pm

Social anxiety most recently - 4 years ago. Finally. That got the ball rolling.....

previously lots of situations where I felt anxious , people telling me - and me feeling like I'm doing the wrong thing socially. As a kid - huge problems with behaviour at school, trouble with friends, being withdrawn often as a result, crap at sports, depression

I've suspected AS for several years now - it seems to fit so i'm sticking with it

SilverDragonfly
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Aug 2012, 5:22 am

Anxiety
Depression
ADHD
Bipolar
Just recently got diagnosed with AS. The bipolar is also still valid.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 7:53 pm

When I was young, I was diagnosed with Selective Mutism which I did have until I was 17.

Into my teens, I and any psych I saw thought I had severe Social Anxiety. Then I got diagnosed with Aspergers when I was 18. I was thought to have been extremely shy for a very long time. But as I think about things now, I dont know why I was not diagnosed earlier. Cause I never really covered my symptoms, I just didnt talk.

Later to find out, I do not technically have Social Anxiety. All my social fears are technically logical due to my Aspergers and I also have a mild OCD so the thoughts keep swirling around in my head.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 12:47 am

depression, anxiety, and schizoid pd. Primary concern for me when I went to see a GP about meds and psych assessment referral was depression.

officially I have AS, OCD, and dysthymia.

AerOHead
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Sep 2012, 9:10 pm

I was pretty much convinced that I was a sociopath. So AS dx left me feeling pretty good, actually.

NewDawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2012, 8:59 am

From a very early age I thought that me feeling different had to do with being smarter than most people. There is a long traumatic story attached it that I´d rather not go into at this moment. Anyway, I indeed scored in the 98th or 99th percentile ('gifted') on several IQ tests. So, I should feel at home with other gifted people, right? Wrong! I've been a member of Mensa for a few years, but never felt at home there.

As a child I had all kinds of fears. This turned into a panic disorder when I went to college. Therapies and medication only made it worse. I had to give up my job and have been on a disability pension since 1997. I began to isolate myself more and more, spending most of my time engrossed in my special interests. To my surprise the anxiety vanished spontaneously when I got really caught up in the life of 17th century Flemish painter.

Until I began to realize that the reason for my behaviour might be ASD, I was mildly to moderately depressed because I had no support whatsoever and didn't trust anyone anymore. Least of all mental health care professionals.

tippi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Oct 2012, 3:34 am

Shyness
Social Phobia/ Social Anxiety Disorder
Some... neurological disorder, cause unknown
Brain Tumour/MS/Motor Neurone (still think that from time to time when I have speech problems & when my dyspraxia is particularly bad)
Borderline Personality Disorder (recent discovery, hence my usual paranoia convinces me that I must have this)

And a lot of the time..... just an introvert.

silencethemusical
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Oct 2012, 4:29 pm

I had a bipolar diagnosis for twelve years. It never fit me well (occasional agitation, but nothing resembling a manic episode) and the drugs were oppressive. Autism Spectrum/Asperger's made much more sense.