I'm XX years old, unemployed, and Aspie. Add your name here

Page 9 of 10 [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

StephenBeets679895
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2017, 9:44 pm

I'm 37 years old and unemployed and I have PDD-NOS. Not on any meds and I'm trying to do freelance work online, though not proving to be very successful at it at the moment. Not sure if I'll ever have a job again since people with "soldering" and "electronics" as their skills tend to be flatly ignored. The best that friends can suggest is doing "proofreading" online, which is about as helpful as a bullet to my head (actually, I frequently feel as if a bullet to the head would be better since it would take me out of this life, but that's just me). I guess my dreams are in the trash bin and destined for the landfill.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 4:05 pm

25 yrs old, 3yrs unemployed and aspie (currently nothing official as nhs has removed any record of it or family has lied to me but I personally still believe i'm lacking in the social department and tick all the boxes)

Been working for free most of the time, other time just stay at home. Most recent promising job offer was at a warehouse but was rejected by a foreign 'EU national' recruitment consultant (they're only legally here because we are still in EU for the next 2 years regardless of brexit) and chose one of their own (pole in a predominantly polish speaking area which some part of history is to blame) even when there were 40 slots and only about 60 of us going for the job, i was rejected even though i passed their tests, and blatantly obvious I was the right fit.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 1:46 pm

I'm Gwen, 23 years old, unemployed, and Autistic. I can't keep a job for more than a month. I'm in college currently for no reason as I don't see myself ever being able to successfully keep a job.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 6:41 pm

I'll be 60 in about 6 weeks and unemployed. If it weren't for SSDI, I'd be dead.

Basically, after all the bullsh!t I've taken the 6 years I've been on SSDI, I've given up. Family doesn't give a damn about me, most of my friends could care less, and the only institution that cares is the church. Komm, suesser Tod'!

seansomewhere
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2017, 3:22 am

I'm 23, unemployed and an aspie.

Since April this year I've started to volunteer a few days a week in a charity shop, which I feel is helping me a bit.

Other than that though I've never been properly 'employed' or anything like that :(

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 12:41 pm

I am 27 years old, unemployed and I have a formal diagnosis of autism.

At the moment I believe I am battling depression because I feel tremendously apathetic and derive zero pleasure from anything. Though I no longer have a completely blank mind (I think it might have been due to drinking too much caffeine), I do seem to have anhedonia as I don't find anything interesting at this point in time.

I have been unemployed since March, but I do volunteer on two occasions each week in a charity store.

Whilst it's admittedly a stupid idea, I have been thinking about intentionally making myself homeless as my life is too easy at the moment. I need something to motivate me.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 1:06 pm

60 years old, dx, MA Lit, no network and the only few people I can tolerate as company are people who grew up with a mad mother, and one other one who is sectioned on a regular basis.

My hobbies include Negative Thinking, Psychological War with the dwp and smoking.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2017, 4:24 am

39, Unemployed for 3 years, hoping to be successful with selfemployment in the future.
Homeless, soon will be forced into crappy low paying job, and probably accommodation with degenerate petty criminals.
Hopefully I will be able to progress from there.

My aim is to study some more.
Sell most of my possessions, so I can be more mobile & generate a small amount of money.
I wish to then travel to a small town, and keep moving around small towns.
This way I'll be able to stay away from people, and have some appeal as a fresh face.

EternalYuletide
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Aug 2017, 12:49 am

24, Unemployed for 8 months, and an aspie.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 10:17 pm

I'm 49, unemployed, and have Asperger's Syndrome.

I honestly don't know why I even bother searching for work anymore, because it's clear to me they (i.e. potential employers) don't want people who are like us, even though they like to go on and on about how "inclusive" they are, and how much they apparently "value diversity".

namesalltaken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2017, 2:21 am

I'm 28, presently unemployed and aspie.
I find it hard to get a job but easy to keep one, have been subject to an incredible run of bad luck (truly external circumstances beyond my control). I take a while to get used to a place, learn the new methods of working etc. However employers and colleagues speak highly of me and even recommend me.

The reason for rejection from applications is always "you don't have the right experience".

How did it end up this way? In June 2016 I took on a job at a major multinational corporation. They had a project that needed doing "Now" and were looking to expand the following year. Despite the work pressure I really did well in the role and was taking internal training with a view to become a system integrator (most senior roll below project management). HR bought me out of the contract I had with a recruiter and made me a full-time employee. In December, head of department (overseas) was replaced and came to us with shock news.

Despite a plan to double the local workforce, a snap decision was made by the board to close down the entire local operations (company had operated here for over 25 years). Fortunately I had an outstanding offer from a second company, I resigned from my role (Or moreso took a redundancy) to start working for them in January. By march it was obvious something was going on and in April we were told of financial troubles. One 3rd of the staff were to be made redundant, As a "new guy" I was in that unfortunate third.

Now I subsist off savings while searching in vain for new employment.

namesalltaken

07 Sep 2017, 2:32 am

Now the problem is, no one can help.
Emploment services are focused on people with low education, and also a stupid government mandate forces participants to apply for large numbers of roles, even when they are entirely unsuitable.

The alternative system, disability employment services would be even worse, focussing on the "disability" aspect, where I can function perfectly well in an office environment.

Family claim to be no help either, they are of a medical background where it's "show proof of qualifications, get the job". They haven't dealt with the world of applications in decades.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2017, 6:21 am

^

Sounds like you and I are in a very similar position. I also struggle to find work but I find it fairly easy to hold down a job. The problem I have is finding a permanent role. All the jobs I've had to date have been either temporary or on a 1 year contract. My last job ended almost 3 months ago and I've been looking for work ever since. Fortunately, I don't live on my own and my major bills (rent, electricity etc) are covered by someone else. I can get by on my savings for quite a while if I need to. Hopefully, I'll find a new job before the end of the year.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 11:10 am

Lintar wrote:
I honestly don't know why I even bother searching for work anymore, because it's clear to me they (i.e. potential employers) don't want people who are like us, even though they like to go on and on about how "inclusive" they are, and how much they apparently "value diversity".

Of course they care about diversity: they want a diverse group of people who act, think and look the same.

I'm very lucky that I do have a full time job in an organization that is VERY cliquish. Still, I have figured out it's unlikely I will ever advance even though I now hold more education and credentials than my boss. I wish I knew if I was wasting my time and money upgrading my skills. I have invested thousands into internationally recognized credentials that have helped me go..... nowhere.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 1:00 pm

I'm 24 years old, and lost my job two weeks ago, because the company was sold - and I'm an Aspie. After graduating from college, I spent six months looking for a job. I applied to over thirty places (it's hard to find a job that doesn't require more social interaction than I can do every day, is why it wasn't more), and only ever heard back from two. One of them gave me a preliminary interview, which I promptly failed because I have a tremor that makes me look a lot more nervous than I actually am. The other didn't have an interview, and gave me the part-time cleaning job I had for over a year. I looked for other jobs while I had that one, too, because I couldn't possibly support myself on it.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

nuway
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Sep 2017, 10:43 pm

I am 54 and I am an aspie. I am unemployed. I have always been harassed & bullied until they get me to quit. They say that I make them look bad because I am to hyper, too smart, too honest and too perfect. So I have to go. Then after they get me to quit. Oh we did not say that. I decided to record them this time. And they still lying. I can get a lawyer to fight them. They holding the last of my pay and denying me unemployment with lies. I got an eviction notice because I can not get a job. I am tired of being bullied. They always win.