I'm XX years old, unemployed, and Aspie. Add your name here

Page 7 of 10 [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 7:48 am

LookTwice wrote:
VMSmith wrote:
Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
WargarrrbbleWargarrrbble. Wargarrrbble.

it's just that i've never been trolled before and was wondering if this is what trolling is...

Congratulations, you have successfully spotted the troll. ;)

:lol:

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

03 Dec 2011, 8:21 am

Just turned 28 and still have yet to find work.

Last edited by cyberfox007 on 06 Dec 2011, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Antreus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2011, 10:06 pm

First some hard knocks and words of encouragement:

For all of you out there whom have never worked in your life, try it first before you buy into the "I can't work, because I have AS". Next, if you have social anxiety due to a bad work experience, give yourself time, find your courage, and go to your State's Vocational Rehabilitation Center if your in the U.S and see what they can do to help you.

There are potential jobs out there that are good part-time work if you're taking a class at a Community College for example - trick is finding them. Vocation Rehab centers can assist with that, some even work with employers to get you a job.

Last I will say is if you are on SSI or SSDI take one of those slave labor unpaid internship jobs to build up your C.V. The state is already paying you, so take all the internship jobs that are unpaid that no one wants, and use that to your advantage. If you have a degree find research assistant jobs if you're good at knowledge and information gathering. Anyone of these intern jobs could land you an actual job - if you're on state money you can afford it easier than people whom aren't getting paid.

For you all out there who have B.A and Master's degrees in a field and are not using that education... why? It is incredibly rare for someone on the spectrum to have a high-level degree - Be creative! Meet with your alma mater's career center, maybe see if there are any assistant, library, volunteer, research positions at your institution.

Me? I am a 25 year old, have worked multiple jobs in retail (longest being a year; was possible due to having close friends working with me, supporting me when I had a meltdown). I have done volunteer work and also clerical work in an office on and off. I haven't been employed since 2009, even then my employment history is far from consistent, fired several times.

I've recently applied for SSDI, changed majors in college multiple times. I have an AA degree, but it hasn't helped alleviate ASD symptoms ;)

Willpower and persistence overcome many things. Baby steps, baby steps. It's the only way I got anywhere and I have a long ways to go. You can improve your situation - there's always a choice.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 11:36 pm

I am 50 and I have been fired from hundreds of jobs.

ASPiXiE
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2011, 2:00 pm

20, unemployed, Aspie.

Applied for loads of jobs - I don't know how many, but 4yrs worth - had 3 interviews, didn't get any of the jobs. Finally got a job with someone I knew and who knew I could type fast; got fired from it for disrupting staff morale because I had to take too many sick days. No idea what I'm going to do with my life.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 3:50 pm

Thought I should update here...

21 years old, still unemployed, and Aspie.

Will turn in two applications within the next few days.
One is for a hotel and the other is for a Dollar Tree,
of which another one is set to open in my neighborhood
within six months to one year from now.

I have yet to finish a application for a ticketing agency.

gaz1990
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2011, 3:36 pm

21 years old, unemployed for about three years now. Worked between 17 and 20 jobs in the few years after leaving school., but could not cope with work. Oddly I don't struggle with interviews, I tended to almost become someone else to appear normal, vibrant and happy to the potential employer. Then after actually turning up for work and trying to deal with customers, confusing tills, ruining a batch of car interior parts in a moulding factory, ruining a window with the wrong cleaning spray and having a group of teenagers laugh at me being told off by my bitchy supervisor, it got too much and I gave up. I;m happier in my room with my pc and tv as my friends tbh. And I hate sunlight. It makes me sneeze everytime I see it. Recently went to the job centre, and said this:
''I tend to become, like a little autistic boy when I am stressed, such as when I'm trying to work with the public, I don;t feel my age at all and I become really vulnerable and stupid''.
Her reply?
''Oh! Well I know lots of fully grown men that act childish sometimes too, it's normal''.

NOT what I meant! And now we have the threat of benefits being changed/ lowered/ harder to get, because a load of other people decided they didn't want to work because the government would pay for their flat and five babies, which then makes tax payers think we are just the same as them, when in reality, it is very different. And unfair.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

16 Dec 2011, 8:32 pm

I'm unemployed, 15 years old, and an Aspie.

F**k you, job cutters. I never even had a chance to get a job.

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 4:31 am

unemployed but loving it.

I've had 30 jobs now. And god knows I'll never work another "job" again.

I'd rather be studying like I will be soon, and obtaining a degree so I can learn for a living, teach others,
or even do their paperwork for them. Because I'm good at that. Not pouring orange juice for some
A-hole and giving it to him with a big smile on my face at 6 AM

MagsMorrigan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Dec 2011, 3:49 pm

29, unemployed AGAIN and using the time to seek a diagnosis for AS.

We (my immediate family and I) have known that I am an Aspie (still hate that word but can't find a better one) for a few years but I've never sought an official diagnosis due to the cost of obtaining one.

Unemployed means no insurance. :/

I can get along and fake being normal long enough to gain employment short-term, but my odd resume is starting to hinder even by ability to do that. I'm willing to risk the "reasonable accommodations" issue because I have everything to gain and nothing left to lose.

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 3:25 am

MagsMorrigan wrote:
29, unemployed AGAIN and using the time to seek a diagnosis for AS.

We (my immediate family and I) have known that I am an Aspie (still hate that word but can't find a better one) for a few years but I've never sought an official diagnosis due to the cost of obtaining one.

Unemployed means no insurance. :/

I can get along and fake being normal long enough to gain employment short-term, but my odd resume is starting to hinder even by ability to do that. I'm willing to risk the "reasonable accommodations" issue because I have everything to gain and nothing left to lose.

"odd resume"

Yeah man, me too. "So what was your last job?" I uh, worked doing this for uh, three days or so..

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2011, 10:07 pm

43 y.o., and counting the days until I'm unemployed again (January 1st). Yay!
I'd rather be temporarily unemployed than keep doing a job which I hate (paperwork sitting on a desk all day, basically).

I only took this job because it was supposed to last for two months (November and December), and I was going to finish taking some classes by the end of October (there was a delay and it became the 8th of November, but never mind), and had a work proposal for January, so I said, "hell, why not? I'll have some money for the holidays..."

Things turned out worse than I expected, and they asked me to stay for next year, but no, thanks... I'm saving a month's salary (the other I already spent in various things these weeks - and I first got my November payment on December 15th, go figure), and move on. If that proposal I had for January doesn't go on as I expected, NVM, I already have a possibility for some additional income...

missmarigold
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Dec 2011, 12:57 pm

37, unemployed, full time mom (dad takes 8 yr old on saturdays)
Pretty sure I'm an aspie. mom to diagnosed Aspie 8 yr old boy.

...likely to become a house wife but now will soon have a live in boyfriend who is working. But his $20,000/yr job isn't much.
Pretty sure my kid needs me to help him out as much as I can with navigating his pre-teen years so I think I could handle being the Domestic Engineer for a couple years.
I was laid off from a large non-profit supportive housing division where I did accounting tech work. Still getting Unemployment insurance. Need to apply for my next 6 mos soon.
I know I can get jobs, but can I keep them? I'm a great worker but most people don't get my focus. They need too many niceties to get things done and don't appreciate my efforts at increasing efficiency.
What I want to do for work?
Sing, build stuff out of wood, run AV equipment, DJ records and teach.
Been volunteering A LOT at my kids school and it's been the most awesome experience.
hai, I'm new here.

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2011, 2:17 pm

Well, now it's official, last day of work was yesterday, I arrived home around 6pm and was so tired I undressed, dropped myself on top of my bed and slept until about 9pm... missed dinner with my former university mates for that reason (well, that, and I wouldn't really spend so much at a fancy restaurant, 10 times what I usually spend at any other one). Had dinner at home, went to bed at 1am and slept until 10:30am this morning... and still felt a little tired at first, but now I'm feeling OK. Going to a small party at a friend's tonight...

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 11:32 pm

I'm 19, Autistic, and unemployed. Thinking of taking a year off and getting a job at a pet store. I can do lifting and stuff, and I like pet stuff. Even if it's volunteer (what business wouldn't want to have a free employee? I don't NEED the money right now since I'm on disability) would be awesome.

mitch413
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Dec 2011, 5:24 pm

I'm a 29 coming up on 30 diagnosed Aspie, but have never held a steady, long term job. I have a Bachelor's and Master's degree in meteorology (my Aspie obsession since age 4), but they're totally useless as there are practically no jobs in the field. I say "practically" because there are a few jobs, but it's a highly invisible job market, basically meaning that who you know is far more important than what you know. When a meteorology job is posted on the internet, several hundred people apply, making your chances low, unless of course, you know someone on the inside.

I'm not sure how to make use of my existing education. It feels like I've wasted 6+ years in university pursuing two degrees for absolutely nothing. While I enjoyed studying something I love, it hasn't done anything in terms of landing work. In fact, I convinced my educational background has made me overqualified for a lot of manual labor type jobs. These types of employers don't like to hire and train educated people since they few us as a flight risk. I also really struggle with people intensive retail type jobs. As such, I think going to college/university isn't worth it anymore. I'd rather have just a high school education and a steady, tolerable manual labor job than being overeducated and unemployed. I live at home with my mom and feel like a total bum.

I saw a career counselor who works with a lot of Aspies last year and even wrote a book on the subject of Aspie employment, but she was like "you have to network". How am I supposed to do this when I have poor social skills and don't know anyone? I am now on the waiting list to work with someone at the Mass Rehab Commission (I've been waiting longer than they 1st told me too) and am signed up to take some computer programming and IT classes at a local community college since that is supposedly a field that is hiring and hopefully at least somewhat Aspie friendly.