I'm XX years old, unemployed, and Aspie. Add your name here

Page 1 of 10 [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 3:37 pm

I'm 21 years old, unemployed, and an Aspie.

With a bad economy, who knows when we'll ever find jobs.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 3:43 pm

I'm 22 years old, unemployed, and an Aspie.

I saw a career coach a few times earlier this year who supposedly works with aspies, but she actually only works with the people who only have social difficulties and no other problems associated with the autistic spectrum. Rather than helping me she told me that nobody would be willing to deal with an employee that gets migraines from being around smokers (while they're not smoking), so I should just give up, go on disability, and never try to work.

I'll be starting with Mass Rehab hopefully soon, I'm supposed to be having that happen in September but they've not contacted me yet.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 3:50 pm

I'm 28 years old, unemployed, and an Aspie.

Bad economy is nothing, the problem is prejudice, not from employers alone but also from the governments who do nothing to tackle employers prejudice, who bully us out of appropriate benefits/into inappropriate benefits, and who do not provide support to help us into work on the one hand, while on the other hand they treat us like lazy scum. ALL unemployed people are suffering right now, but I do believe that disabled people are getting it far worse...and in particular people with AS/ASD seem to be invisible or an afterthought.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 4:10 pm

I'm 18 years old, unemployed, and an Aspie.

Most people my age are going to college and university, but I am done with education. It's almost done nothing but destroy me.

glasscasket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2011, 4:13 pm

Bloodheart wrote:

Bad economy is nothing, the problem is prejudice, not from employers alone but also from the governments who do nothing to tackle employers prejudice, who bully us out of appropriate benefits/into inappropriate benefits, and who do not provide support to help us into work on the one hand, while on the other hand they treat us like lazy scum. ALL unemployed people are suffering right now, but I do believe that disabled people are getting it far worse...and in particular people with AS/ASD seem to be invisible or an afterthought.

I'm an angry unemployed 24 year old Aspie.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2011, 4:27 pm

I'm 30, unemployed/disabled, and probably an aspie.

I am disabled because of bipolar disorder. I haven't worked since june of 2009.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

21 Aug 2011, 5:29 pm

I'm 25 years old, unemployed, and Aspie.

I have my bachelors in Mechanical Engineering
but I refuse to apply for jobs in the "Defense" industry (just about the only sector still hiring),
because I despise the Military Industrial Complex and American Imperialism,
fighting wars to kill people overseas when we can't even solve our own problems here at home.

So now I'm diligently studying Art at college with hopes of becoming a technical illustrator for an engineering company.
If that fails, I'll stock shelves or deliver envelopes and live like the humble, bearded, pacifist, hippie freak that I am,
If that fails, I'll sing gibberish and dance nude on the doorstep of a mental hospital until they let me in. :P
If that fails, I'll rob a convenience store for a stick of gum using pieces of plastic cutlery, and wait outside for the cops to take me to prison.
If that fails — You know what? Maybe this is why I suck at job interviews. :(

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 6:52 pm

Simonono wrote:
I'm 18 years old, unemployed, and an Aspie.

Most people my age are going to college and university, but I am done with education. It's almost done nothing but destroy me.

what do you mean destroyed you? i have sometimes been studying something and go into this downward spiral of regret.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2011, 6:54 pm

I am 19 years old, unemployed, and possibly an aspie.

I have never been employed... and apparently no one wants to hire me... so... idk...

addison
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2011, 7:17 pm

iceveela wrote:
I am 19 years old, unemployed, and possibly an aspie.

I have never been employed... and apparently no one wants to hire me... so... idk...

same here. only i'm 22. i have a associates from itt tech too so i have a lot of student loans to pay back. how am i supposed to pay them back if no one wants to hire me. i've been to lots of places that are supposed to "help" you get a job, including my school, but they don't do crap to help me.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 7:21 pm

Simonono wrote:
but I am done with education. It's almost done nothing but destroy me.

This resonates with me closely.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 7:22 pm

yeah loans suck, but i just go completely nuts when i am learning a certain subject. well it happened about 3 times in my life but when it happens man it sucks.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 7:52 pm

I'm 33 and unemployed.

God I feel old. :lol:

PaintingDiva
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2011, 9:04 pm

Specifically how you will be self employed, I don't know, I don't know you well enough.

BUT, entrepreneurship, what do you do very well that can be turned into a service that others will pay for? That or start learning how to design phone apps fast. If you cannot work in a traditional work environment, then create your own. I know that sounds a little flip but really think about it.

If you are good with animals, start a dog walking business, or a pet sitting business, get yourself an NT friend to set it up. I dunno, do something and use your brains....I don't know I had a friend who was unemployed AND was NT and every idea I offered he shot it down....

You have to start with what you are good at.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2011, 9:44 pm

PaintingDiva wrote:
Specifically how you will be self employed, I don't know, I don't know you well enough.

I am wanting to be self employed, I crochet, and write books, etc. I still live with my parents at the moment, but I am hoping that one day I will earn enough money to live by myself. I also desire to take up the piano (keyboard), and i also draw a little and love photography. So I am hoping that I can earn a living by combining many of my hobbies, like drawing, photography, and writing to make books, and crochet can also be used for a little extra income, and music can also be used for a few extra pennies.

all this and never working a day in my life! because its not work for me! that's my dream...

but staying on topic... Yes, being self-employed is a good thing that someone with aspiergers can try.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 Aug 2011, 10:44 pm

I'm 24, something strange but my exact neurological status is unknown, and I'm self-employed. It's hard enough for unemployed "normal people" to find jobs, so obviously the best bet for me was to employ myself and it's worked out fairly well. Plus I'm getting skills and experience I'd never *dream* of getting following the employment opportunities I naturally gravitate to, so it's been a wonderful boon to my future.