Social Security disability on verge of insolvency

Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 4:28 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/social-security-d ... 19318.html

How many autistics on WrongPlanet are dependent on SSI disability? Do the WrongPlanet members that are on it have any plans in place if SSI disability fails? 8O

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Aug 2011, 4:37 pm

http://pol.moveon.org/ssmyths/

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 4:40 pm

hartzofspace wrote:

What year was that information put up on the web?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 4:43 pm

SSI and SSDI are also different. SSDI goes through social security while SSI doesn't.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 4:51 pm

Tuttle wrote:
SSI and SSDI are also different. SSDI goes through social security while SSI doesn't.

In that case, politicians might put ssdi on the chopping block but leave ssi alone.

glasscasket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2011, 5:08 pm

Unfortunately I have to collect the peanuts that SSI throws at me since nobody gave me a job since 2006. I was let go without an explanation from that job without an explanation after doing everything I was supposed to do, never being rude and always showing up on time. If I lose my SSI I would most likely be screwed! It was not even my idea to apply for SSI in the first place, I wanted to work (and still do)!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 5:14 pm

I'm an autistic person who is dependent on Social Security. My parents signed me up for it shortly after I was diagnosed at age 16 and I've been on it ever since.

However, I wouldn't be upset if I could no longer use it. I've desired to work a job for a long time and I feel that I'm ready. My plan would be to first earn my GED and I then would do whatever I needed to do to make employers see me in a more favorable light, such as practice my handwriting, since I have very childish/sloppy handwriting and I've heard numerous times that handwriting affects the way prospective employers see you, ie neat handwriting = more intelligent, sloppy handwriting = less intelligent.

Then I would apply to jobs at DVD stores such as Hasting's or book stores such as Barnes & Noble, because I would be happy working at a job where I could stock the shelves with books/DVDs alphabetically. I would also probably get an employee discount for shopping there, which would benefit me greatly as I love buying books and DVDs.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 5:17 pm

glasscasket wrote:
Unfortunately I have to collect the peanuts that SSI throws at me since nobody gave me a job since 2006. I was let go without an explanation from that job without an explanation after doing everything I was supposed to do, never being rude and always showing up on time. If I lose my SSI I would most likely be screwed! It was not even my idea to apply for SSI in the first place, I wanted to work (and still do)!

Yeah, I'm waiting a few more months before applying to SSI unless something falls through. I've been told that I should, but I really would rather get employment, but if Mass Rehab gives up on me to, or they're showing no progress for anything after working with them for a while, then I'll give up and apply for SSI.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Aug 2011, 5:18 pm

Todesking wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:

What year was that information put up on the web?

Last year.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 5:24 pm

That's a great link, hartzofspace. Too many politicians and the media seem determined to encite panic whenever possible.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2011, 5:46 pm

The entire United States government is living on credit and just raised their credit limit rather than balance their budget. They're just trying to scare people - the more terror you incite in the populace, the easier it is to convince them to do things your way when you promise to 'fix it'.

The US Gov't GIVES AWAY BILLIONS in aid to other countries all over the globe to buy favors and goodwill. Apparently they aren't too concerned about going broke. Why should they be, when they can just keep on borrowing from China? If they max out their credit, they'll just raise their own debt ceiling again. They're more worried about their credit rating than they are about whether they can ever pay it back - that's what grandchildren are for.

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 5:59 pm

Well, for now, without modern science breaking the 2nd law, the Industrial Revolution is sputtering to an end. Everybody knows the deal is rotten, so who is going to be jetsam, and who is going to be flotsam, is the most frequent future divisive question, since the wealthy are already taking the lifeboats out of timely reach (that's why there's $4 Billion going to be spent to protect Rand's virtuous selfishness with $12 Billion in real assets for caviar rations on the Trillion Dollar lifeboats with standards fitting for the capitalist chosen wealthies). Your Bibles may be used as Boston tea party flotation devices if you are below the top 1% and do not have enough gold bricks for bouyancy with the real-level industrial and argricultural output.

"Tell me daddy, that, that we would never eat people." "No, son, we will only eat our legally lotted Soylent Green."

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 6:04 pm

If SSDI and/or SSI break down, we will move to helping each other. We're already doing some of that, with town food pantries and lots of churches pitching in to help families stay sheltered and warm.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 6:44 pm

There's tremendous interest on Wall Street to get that $2.5 trillion in the SS trust fund onto the private market somehow (like making Medicare a voucher program), so they can skim profits off of it.

With a 5% commission (and with things like insurance it's going to be way more that 5%) that's $125 billion dollars (of profit). People will lie pretty hard to get their hands on $125 billion dollars.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 7:35 pm

People don't always want to help others which is why government got involved in the first place.

Killman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Aug 2011, 9:43 pm

Does this apply to SSI or SSDI? :(