Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 11:15 am

Does anyone know of self/community-advocacy groups in Canada?

There seems to be a shortage of info on the internetz surrounding this topic in our country.

A handful of us run a very informal, mainly social & support, group out of Toronto & Hamilton and are looking for others in our area that may have a firmer grasp of the wider community.

There is a facebook group that has popped up in the past couple of days claiming to advocate for autism. Researching the founding members has set up all sorts of red flags related to past Canadian policy issues.

In a direct, and spontaneous, response I have started a facebook group called Our Votes Count - Neurodiversity and Disability Rights in Canada. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/ourvotescount/)

If there are any members of WP who are located in Canada or have greater knowledge or resources regarding this topic, or know of any who may please join or post.

There has to be something out there; if not, something needs to be created.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 1:29 pm

nansnick wrote:
Does anyone know of self/community-advocacy groups in Canada?

There seems to be a shortage of info on the internetz surrounding this topic in our country.

A handful of us run a very informal, mainly social & support, group out of Toronto & Hamilton and are looking for others in our area that may have a firmer grasp of the wider community.

There is a facebook group that has popped up in the past couple of days claiming to advocate for autism. Researching the founding members has set up all sorts of red flags related to past Canadian policy issues.

In a direct, and spontaneous, response I have started a facebook group called Our Votes Count - Neurodiversity and Disability Rights in Canada. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/ourvotescount/)

If there are any members of WP who are located in Canada or have greater knowledge or resources regarding this topic, or know of any who may please join or post.

There has to be something out there; if not, something needs to be created.

Yeah, by the way, mind if we come to your country?

delightfullyodd
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2016, 9:25 pm

Bumping because if there's something up here I want to know about it, and if there are other Canadian WP members who are currently active, I want to know about them :)

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 1:34 pm

Yeah, there's not a lot of resources up here in Canada for adults with autism. Plenty for kids and their families.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 10:40 pm

I'm part of a meetup group for adults with autism in Vancouver (not really an advocacy group, but it is run by autistic people). But again, it's informal.

Personally, I like it better than the groups I went to as a kid for autism because, though we do occasionally help each other with social skills, that is not the main focus and people aren't condescending about it like they were in some of the groups I went to as a kid.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic