Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

n3v3rm0r3
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Aug 2011, 11:32 pm

I've had anorexia for 7 years but it's really a symptom of other issues and certainly not my only problem. I'm also bi polar with social anxiety and generalized anxiety. I'm tired of always focusing on my ED and not dealing with other problems I have at all. I've tried to find a non eating disorder therapist but they always refer me back to my ED shrink...it's really frustrating.

Anyone else with an eating disorder or other issues with the same problem. Focus on one problem, ignoring the others?

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2011, 12:26 am

A lot of people here, myself included, struggle/d with Eating Disorders.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 1:03 am

Eating disorders are common here for both men and women. I went through it when I was very young and was almost hospitalized for it. Are you in the US?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 2:06 am

I do not have a legitmate eating disorder, but some disorders I have do interfere with my appetite by causing me not to be in the mood to even want to attempt to eat anything. I don't feel like I need to lose weight or anything, I just don't feel like eating a lot of times.

n3v3rm0r3

25 Aug 2011, 2:09 am

John_Browning wrote:
Eating disorders are common here for both men and women. I went through it when I was very young and was almost hospitalized for it. Are you in the US?

Fortunately I'm in Canada and treatment is free. It's kind of a revolving door sort of deal though.
I've been hospitalized, certified, in patient, out patient. Nothing has worked so far though recently I've been doing some what better.

I think for many people there is not "cure" it's the sort of thing that is managed. You always have to keep a watch on it. Like addictions, it's never gone.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 9:31 pm

Yes, I had anorexia/bulimia for 10 years on and off.
The tension about my weight has never totally gone away and under stress, I tend to slip back into the obsessive weighing and comparing calorie intakes.
I currently have slipped a little back into making myself sick after eating, due to boyfriend issues/comparisons...he eats very weirdly, and sometimes doesn't eat all day himself, and that tends to trigger me to 'compete' in some way and feel threatened...makes me feel quite guilty as what he eats should not matter to me in this sort of way.

With me, when at it's worse, it became almost like a special interest...I devoured calorie books and knew nutritional values by heart, and made lists of everything I ate, and lists of the things I would like to eat, and charts of healthy diet meals... it really became an all consuming obsession with numbers.

I even weighed myself after each drink I had and at one time, would not even allow fluids to stay in me.
I was very severely anorexic though.

n3v3rm0r3

26 Aug 2011, 1:19 am

Graelwyn wrote:

With me, when at it's worse, it became almost like a special interest...I devoured calorie books and knew nutritional values by heart, and made lists of everything I ate, and lists of the things I would like to eat, and charts of healthy diet meals... it really became an all consuming obsession with numbers.

I even weighed myself after each drink I had and at one time, would not even allow fluids to stay in me.
I was very severely anorexic though.

I'm often much the same. I used to weigh myself after drinking, eating, peeing, etc. I would obsessively bake and collect recipes but not eat any of it. I know the calories in everything I eat and keep a running tally. I wish I hadn't memorized the calories in so many things, it would be nice not to spend all my time counting calories.