Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 3:23 pm

I plan to complete this semester at least, but really maybe I should just quit while I am ahead.........I already probably owe more than I can hope to pay back in loans and that amount will only increase the longer I stay in college. So while I complete this semester I think I will keep my options open and find another way to have enough to live on.

As I have mentioned in other threads, I belive this is a sick society so I don't plan to just be another part of the machine so working out how exactly to have any income with that mindset will be a challenge I imagine. Maybe I could find a job at one of the smoke shops in the area or a liquor store...that is at least tolerable, I mean when someone comes into a smoke shop they are probably going to look around at all the pipes for a while before buying anything so there wont be hasty impatient customers which will mean less anxiety for me.

Also it is worth noting it is getting to the point were I really cannot fake it anymore......yeah i was able to pass for normal enough in public school and graduated and all that and went on to college. But I cannot pretend I actually plan to get a degree(because I really don't know if that is what I plan to do or not.) and I cannot play it off like I hardly drink and never smoke cannabis around my family.........I currently live at my moms place but I feel I should find somewhere else because my lifestyle and hers are significantly different and i know its possible she might not like who I really am.

I just really don't know what direction I should go........yes the idea of having a degree and using my knowledge to do something to change some of the things I see wrong with society is appealing, but quite honestly I don't know that I can handle the stress...as intresting as college is I still get stressed over every paper, I still feel like I am not getting as much out of it as I would like to because a lot of times my depression interferes with my motivation and then I feel like I am just going through the motions. So should I just drop out?

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2011, 7:39 pm

I can not tell you what you should do, but this podcast may be of some interest:
"Freakonomics: The Upside of Quitting" [audio]
http://freakonomicsradio.com/the-upside ... tting.html

Also, with regards to the benefits/ value of education, see this old post
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3761334 ... t=#3761334

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 9:46 pm

If you're close to finishing I would suggest doing so. I don't have a degree and while I've always been able to find a job there's a significant pay difference between what I'm offered and what I could ask for if I had one (in anything, subject doesn't seem to matter much). There are lots of people who act like not having a degree means you're an idiot. Granted, that's their weak-minded bigotry, but you may find that it affects your prospects.

If your depression is creating problems for you with school it will probably also cause problems for you in the work world and in your personal life. Quitting things because they're hard is almost never the answer. If you are legitimately unhappy with your major or your college experience, maybe consider changing the major or switching to vocational training instead. But if it's the depression. Do whatever you need to do to treat/manage it. That in itself may solve your problem. I dropped out in the throes of a major depression because I didn't have a support system and didn't know how to ask for help. I regret dropping out, but I regret not getting help for my depression more.

Also, in my experience, patrons in smoke shops really like to chat.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 9:59 pm

cozysweater wrote:
If you're close to finishing I would suggest doing so. I don't have a degree and while I've always been able to find a job there's a significant pay difference between what I'm offered and what I could ask for if I had one (in anything, subject doesn't seem to matter much). There are lots of people who act like not having a degree means you're an idiot. Granted, that's their weak-minded bigotry, but you may find that it affects your prospects.

If your depression is creating problems for you with school it will probably also cause problems for you in the work world and in your personal life. Quitting things because they're hard is almost never the answer. If you are legitimately unhappy with your major or your college experience, maybe consider changing the major or switching to vocational training instead. But if it's the depression. Do whatever you need to do to treat/manage it. That in itself may solve your problem. I dropped out in the throes of a major depression because I didn't have a support system and didn't know how to ask for help. I regret dropping out, but I regret not getting help for my depression more.

Also, in my experience, patrons in smoke shops really like to chat.

I am nowhere close to finishing....and I have tried counseling, even tried anti-depressants and they did not help. So there is really no point in trying those things again. Especially considering the expense...and I like what I am taking in college but I just don't see myself putting all the effort in to get anywhere with it......I am burnt out and absolutely hate everything about this society and would really just prefer to not exist. All that is left is to do is enjoy the ride, let the madness take over or something like that I really have no idea.

As for people in smoke shops liking to chat...a lot of times the chat is about things I am intrested in so that would not be too much of an issue.

firezdog
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2011, 10:05 pm

What are you studying? Aside from the debt and the social difficulties, is there anything you like about school? Have you tried discussing your plans with a counselor?

I was smoking a lot of pot last year. Initially I started smoking it because I thought it would help make me more interested in my work and because it helped me let go of my inhibitions and write more -- but I found it created problems too. As you mentioned, it increased the tension between me and my family. I also got a letter at the end of the year from my professors complaining I had been sending them rambling, half-baked emails. I ended up stopping with the marijuana.

I'm not saying you should quite drinking or smoking -- everyone has a right to decide for themselves whether and to what extent they want to do that sort of thing -- but you should remember it can sometimes make existing problems seem worse than they are. You should at least be careful before making a decision: for instance, you should try to make definite plans as to where you'll go and what you'll do and have lots of applications lined up so you have somewhere to go when you leave college. (While you're in college you'll at least have health insurance and a roof over your head. If you leave, would your parents take you in? Sounds like you wouldn't like that very much. Well you don't want to end up on the street if you can avoid it!) Also you should try and get in contact with other people who dropped out of college -- ask them what they did and whether it worked for them.

Just be careful. Things usually aren't as urgent as they seem. And good luck!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 10:18 pm

firezdog wrote:
What are you studying? Aside from the debt and the social difficulties, is there anything you like about school? Have you tried discussing your plans with a counselor?

I was smoking a lot of pot last year. Initially I started smoking it because I thought it would help make me more interested in my work and because it helped me let go of my inhibitions and write more -- but I found it created problems too. As you mentioned, it increased the tension between me and my family. I also got a letter at the end of the year from my professors complaining I had been sending them rambling, half-baked emails. I ended up stopping with the marijuana.

I'm not saying you should quite drinking or smoking -- everyone has a right to decide for themselves whether and to what extent they want to do that sort of thing -- but you should remember it can sometimes make existing problems seem worse than they are. You should at least be careful before making a decision: for instance, you should try to make definite plans as to where you'll go and what you'll do and have lots of applications lined up so you have somewhere to go when you leave college. (While you're in college you'll at least have health insurance and a roof over your head. If you leave, would your parents take you in? Sounds like you wouldn't like that very much. Well you don't want to end up on the street if you can avoid it!) Also you should try and get in contact with other people who dropped out of college -- ask them what they did and whether it worked for them.

Just be careful. Things usually aren't as urgent as they seem. And good luck!

I don't have any form of health insurance...I live at my moms house and am going to community college, I just feel like its only a matter of time before some sort of tension builds up and I have to figure something else out. I really have no idea how to find anything to do with a degree should I get one or what to do otherwise....but it is definatly urgent. Also I keep feeling really numb like I almost do not even want to be careful about things because I hope someone notices and has an issue with it(I know it sounds immature But I am so sick of worrying about what people think). I feel like people would be better off if I did not exist.

firezdog
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2011, 10:48 pm

You didn't say what you're studying. What interests you (or has interested you in the past)?

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 10:53 pm

Sweetleaf, please reach out to a professional about these depression issues. You can usually find references through your school or you could look for local clinics, programs that offer sliding scale counseling and prescription plans for all incomes. In the past I've used psych clinics and been counseled by grad students and even gotten medication on the cheap or free because I didn't have insurance and wasn't making much money.
Yeah, you've tried it all before. Try it again. Seriously, it's worth the effort.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 10:58 pm

In my opinion, anyone who is not totally committed to getting a university degree would be better off without one.

It's the OP's choice to make, but if working the cash register in a smoke shop is preferable to any of the higher-paying professional careers that a degree may enable, then the choice may be obvious.

Good luck.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 11:30 pm

firezdog wrote:
You didn't say what you're studying. What interests you (or has interested you in the past)?

Well right now I am taking sociology, psychology and music appreciation I am intrested in psychology and sociology.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 11:33 pm

cozysweater wrote:
Sweetleaf, please reach out to a professional about these depression issues. You can usually find references through your school or you could look for local clinics, programs that offer sliding scale counseling and prescription plans for all incomes. In the past I've used psych clinics and been counseled by grad students and even gotten medication on the cheap or free because I didn't have insurance and wasn't making much money.
Yeah, you've tried it all before. Try it again. Seriously, it's worth the effort.

I already tried them both and they failed....so why even bother with trying again? i just feel like no one understands and no one can help me so why bother?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 11:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
In my opinion, anyone who is not totally committed to getting a university degree would be better off without one.

It's the OP's choice to make, but if working the cash register in a smoke shop is preferable to any of the higher-paying professional careers that a degree may enable, then the choice may be obvious.

Good luck.

It is a matter of feeling like there is no way in hell I could get a higher paying professional career.

firezdog
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Aug 2011, 12:01 am

So have you been taking classes in those areas?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 12:03 am

firezdog wrote:
So have you been taking classes in those areas?

yeah but I have no idea what I would do with a degree in either.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 3:05 am

I'd say try some driving or going out and getting some fresh air. If this is a thought that has just come to you then maybe give it a couple more days to resonate and really sink in so you make a better decision. You have a full day till monday so try to give it some thought.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 11:04 am

LostUndergrad9090 wrote:
I'd say try some driving or going out and getting some fresh air. If this is a thought that has just come to you then maybe give it a couple more days to resonate and really sink in so you make a better decision. You have a full day till monday so try to give it some thought.

Well I have this whole semester to think about it....because I plan to at least complete this semester. But there are a couple logical reasons I have come up with.
1. There is no harm in taking a break from college if it is causing too much stress, and stopping after this semester probably does not mean I cannot go back in the future.
2. If I have a mental breakdown or become suicidal again, and end up in a psych ward...it won't interfere with my going to class...kind of sad when I feel like I don't want to get help because I don't want to miss class, because if I miss too much and fail I get no financial aid/loans which=my only income. That alone kind of adds to current stress and I am honestly not even sure how well I will do this semester.