Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kwilky
Raven
Raven

13 Sep 2011, 12:07 am

Sounds just like me. I only care about showering if I'm going out somewhere (like to get fast food or groceries). I can go a week or more without showering and be fine. I only brush my teeth when I remember too. Sometimes I'm too tired and just don't care. I'd rather do other things... I never bother to brush my hair and I only get it cut every 6 months+ because I just don't care. I won't shave my facial hair very often either though I try to take care of that more because it actually gets in the way of eating.

9of47
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2011, 9:05 am

I only brush my teeth once a day (before I leave the house for the day because I feel weird if I dont), shower once a day, wash my hair every second day (and walk outside with it wet because its often to the train and I dont care if fellow commuters see my hair wet). To solve the problem of hair removal I get everything waxed every 4 weeks and I also get my hair cut every so often so it doesn't get split ends. The amount of deoderant and perfume depends on the weather, how clean I smell (only use natural body washes), how much social interaction is expected in that day and if I have my period. Despite being sleepy in the morning, I need to shower because I like being warm in bed which means I sweat a lot and stink when i wake up. I just wish that cleaning myself wouldn't take as long as it does or that I could do it on the train.

genedig65
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2011, 1:42 pm

To the OP:

Do you have to take a shower or can you soak in a bath tub? I'm not a big fan of showers but I do like to relax the muscles in a hot bath tub. You might want to try that instead and you'll get clean. You don't have to douse yourself with perfume and there are unscented deodorants. I use mostly unscented things myself as the smells some times give me a headache.

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Oct 2011, 2:49 pm

I shower daily no matter what because I feel gross when I don't. I have oily skin and hair so I get smelly and nasty feeling quick. Despite having oily skin though, I never broke out with acne once.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 6:13 pm

I am a girl.

I am an aspie.

My hygene is always substandard to others.

I sleep in the same bed with one of my roomies and she understands that I run away from the prospect of showers when its chilly or wet outside because I get sick at the drop of a hat. But this morning she said if you dont shower the next warm day you not sleeping here with me.

I almost cried because I do not sleep alone. Ever. I almost never slept if I was alone and for the seven years we have lived together we always share the bed, even tho she is married!! Lol her husband has his own bedroom.

I can do the deodorant thing . .. but thats because even if i am not uncomfortable with it i can smell it and i KNOW the barrage of "you are a funky moneky" is about to start, so I run and put some on. I seem to disregard if my odor gets on my clothes tho and brushing my hair is usually so far down the list that last time it got bad it took a batallion of three people with me sitting on the floor taking time to untangle it, pull at it, brush it and destroy the small dreading that went on in there. I have never had lice, I have never had acne on my face and I only get small breakouts in my period, which I hate and is about the only thing I am super hygenic about. I am supposed to brush my hair at least once a day . . . It has turned into an every other day and I am sure the hair disaster will ensue again in a few months.

I usually try to use the same clothing a lot, which irritates people, my roomate tends to coordinate me tho. Right now she is loosing the battle over my camo pj pants. I will use them in the house, when we go to the store and when we visitn friends. Hey, at least i change shirts!!

AngelofDreams
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2011, 2:14 pm

As I am a woman with Autism, hygiene is something that's of least concern. :P

I'm bad with brushing my teeth, showering/bathing, using deo or shaving. Actually, I hate shaving on a regular basis like most NT women seem to do.
I constantly forget to brush my teeth, but I do it if I'm going out somewhere, told to or when I've an appointment to the dentist. It's the same thing with showering. Unless I have something important to do (usually the next day), I don't do it.

But I have been bullied and made fun of because of it. But it's not like I want to stand in the shower every single day, as I'm a bit afraid that my skin will dry from too much soap use. :?
And I dislike perfumes with a very strong scent. I'm sensitive to it, and it makes me sneeze sometimes.

My hair is pretty curly, so I often feel a lot of pain when brushing it after a long time. Because of the knots that shapes in my hair and that I find long hair annoying at times, I have had short hair.

BeeMom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Oct 2011, 6:42 am

One of the Aspies in my family has many of these issues. But for the most part, she has learned to do hygiene on a schedule. Then there is not a decision to make, it is just something that needs to be done. Hygiene needs to be done to keep yourself healthy in the short run and in the long run, and it has to be done for a basic level of social acceptance, and so it doesn't stand in the way of her reaching her own goals.

Using unscented products helps many people, and they are often healthier for you to use, too.

If you have trouble flossing, you might try the flossers that have the floss all strung on a little pick. You use it and throw it out. Flossing is important for preventing gum disease in the long run. Gum disease can give you real health problems, like problems with your heart, in the long run.

Keeping your hair shorter and in a simple style can cut down on grooming time. Tell the person cutting your hair that you don't want to have to blow-dry it or style it. Just brush and go.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 2:11 am

Me, 10-15 years old, I didn't care much about it. My mom'd have to remind me or I'd just go without.
Now though, being clean, all the time, is a must.

I never brush my hair, though. EVER. xD

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2011, 7:50 am

I'm a girl, an Aspie, and I have many of these issues.
I often forget to brush my teeth, rarely comb my hair and only shower if going out somewhere or after playing sport. Toothpastes make me feel sick as they taste so strong. Combing my hair hurts, so I avoid that. I've never been to a hairdressers or anywhere like that because I don't like the idea of someone else touching my head. I don't use perfumes. I use Burts Bees stuff for washing because other stuff makes my head itch. Hygiene stuff never has been high on my list of priorities.
It's a relief to find there's other people like me in this!

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 9:18 am

I actually like feeling clean--in a very physical sense. I like the way my teeth feel after I brush and floss them. I like the way my skin feels after a long shower. I don't like to go to sleep when I am dirty. I like my hair a certain way and I shave certain parts of myself. I feel better this way.
I use the word "feel" as in the sense of touch not "emotion" which I think might confuse some people.
I always shower, never bathe. I do not like to be in water.

HairlessAlbinoCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2011, 9:44 am

Objectively I'd seem very similar to the OP, though I am sensitive to scented products and there are very few perfumes I can actually tolerate that is not why I rarely take a shower or do any grooming, as for my teeth thought I don't floss daily I do brush them various times a day because even though the feel of toothpaste really bothers me specially when it drips I hate even more how my mouth feels if I don't, recently I had to cut my hair from waist long to less than half an inch long due to an awful tangling.
The reason I cannot relate subjectively is because I need a rigid schedule that I can follow and in my family such needs are overlooked as stupid and egotistic thus I haven't take a shower for months, what I do get to do is change my clothes so it doesn't seem as if I have not showered.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 3:49 pm

Me too. When I got sent away a couple of times when I was a teenager I got in so much trouble for that.

Even now it's not like I do it on purpose. I just don't think to do these things every day.

Mad_Jessie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Nov 2011, 5:56 pm

Hehe. I remember when I was around 12 years old and my mom tried to keep my washinghabits in check by studdying my hairs greasyness. I used to shower once a week back then. One weekend I ran around in the rain and I were completly soaked. My hair went from bad to pretty nice because of that incident. A week later my mom asked me If it had been a week since I showered. And I just said that it was two weeks ago not one. She was horrified and sent me to the shower immediately. :lol:

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 6:08 pm

I forget to do it also.

Trainbuff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2011, 10:04 pm

I shower, wash clothes, brush my teeth daily etc, and still have body odor. :cry:

I think I have the condition that causes excessive sweating (Hyperhidrosis). Its hard enough being a aspie and then you gotta deal with this excess sweating/BO nonsense. :(

At work people make all kinds of snide remarks about my BO, its really frustrating as you take a shower just like everybody else, you wash your clothes just like everybody else, but for some reason, that just isn't good enough.

Its also its really frustering when adults are making the remarks, I can sorta understand young people since they haven't matured yet, but come on, grow up. :evil:

Tacitus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Nov 2011, 8:24 pm

I shower several times a day if I get the chance. I am not a huge fan of germs, but primarily I do it because it calms my nerves.

I used to be a Commercial fisherman and whenever the crew would leave the boat I would stick around and stare at the ocean for many many hours without distraction.

Now I live in a desert more or less, go figure! I don't hate much, but I do hate being away from the water. I am like the fish-man of cinema that would leave the water from time to time and walk the land. I too prefer water.

I can swim for miles non-stop and hold my breath nearly 5 minutes ( there is a secret to it.) *SIGH* I do so love the water.

Edit: I do wonder if I can still swim for miles though, I have been inland for nearly 6.5 years.

And in the spirit of the hygiene topic, I do usually wear a beard and don't often trim it. I also don't comb my hair too often, unless I'm going out but I am at home a lot these days. I find most people don't enjoy my company because I am "different."

Oh, lastly, does anyone know where I can find information on Autistic conferences and their locations and such? I would be so thrilled to meet other 'interesting' people like myself.

Edit #2: I had to fix some grammar. I admit that since most of my friends don't speak English, I have become even less effective in communication and make many grammatical errors than I used to make; so, I should watch what I type more closely.

Edit#3: spelling fix