Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2017, 10:07 am

I feel very uncomfortable when I'm unclean. Having greasy hair and sweaty arms in particular makes me restless and desperate to have a good wash.
I wash myself in a sink every morning, and wash my hair in the shower every other afternoon.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2017, 10:17 am

I used to have this, but what helped me is realising the itching that was driving me mental was related to bad hygiene. So, more showers = less itching! :)

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

BCTucker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2017, 7:55 am

I hate showering and brushing my teeth. I tried really hard to keep up the shaving and makeup routine through high school and most of college, but I haven't shaved or worn makeup regularly in probably close to 10 years at this point.

I think my issues with hygiene are sensory, though. I hate the transition of going from dry to wet in the shower, I hate water splashing in my face, not all of me can be under the stream of water at the same time, so part of me is always wet and cold, and then I hate turning the water off and that half second of standing there wet and cold while I scramble for a towel to keep the water from my hair from running into my face, and then drying the rest of me as quickly as possible. I took daily baths instead of showers all the way through high school to avoid all this shower awfulness, but now I have a hand shower that I can use to JUST wash my hair when I can't justify a bath and can't get myself to full-shower. Baby wipes on the rest of me work great for no-shower days.

I hate brushing my teeth because the toothpaste runs down the toothbrush onto my hand, so I have to keep stopping to rinse my hand, or try to grin and bear it. Since I realized this was the part that was bugging me, I've started experimenting with brushing my teeth with my head tipped back so it all stays in my mouth till I spit. I'm sure it looks weird, but it has made brushing my teeth a less awful experience lately.