Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 7:57 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't have big feet - I'm size 5, which is a size too small for my body height.

My head ain't bigger than average either.

Every time a thread pops up with a topic like this, there are always completely different physical feature types mentioned from the one before, as though we're just picking anything on our bodies at random and passing it off as a unique trait found in Autistics only - even though everything here mentioned I have seen on NTs too.
I might aswell look at my ears and say ''they stick out a bit because I'm an Aspie, do other Aspies have ears that stick out a bit?'' and the answer is no. Everybody's ears are different - some stick out more than others because it was the way they were made in the womb.

Everybody looks different from one another. If everybody looked the same with exactly everything in place on their bodies, you wouldn't be able to tell anyone apart.

I look like my dad, and other relatives on his side of the family.

What I'm trying to say is, we don't have any distinct look that you can recognise us by, like people with Down's Syndrome do. The only common features are the way we use facial expressions and body language, but that's not due to how are bodies are built - that's due to our conscious lack of social abilities. But even they don't make other people who don't know us suddenly guess that we have AS though.

ValentineWiggin wrote:
That NT's also have these traits
and most Autistics DON'T have them is quite irrelevant-
the question is whether within a specific population there is a statistically GREATER incidence of a trait than in those outside it.

to his Interest."

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Sep 2011, 8:07 pm

oceandrop wrote:
EDIT: Looking at Table 2 and the p-values (mostly <0.001) I think their data is WAY too good and I simply don't believe it. If there were really 48 morphological features that are so common in autism then we would likely be able to tell an autistic person from looking at them. I think their data is fudged (i.e. BS). According to them, full cheeks, arched eyebrows, large nose, and countless other simple facial features are way over-represented in autism patients.

Perhaps. I have no idea. It seems such a strange thing to fake.

Joe90 wrote:
And 99 percent of NTs don't have any of these and 99 percent of Aspies do? I don't believe all this sh** - people are just trying to make themselves believe that Autistic people are born so different from everybody else it's getting ridiculous. I don't have any of these at all.

From what I recall, the study didn't find similar differences in people diagnosed with AS.

The study did not claim that 99% of NTs don't have those traits and 99% of autistic people do, either. In fact, the study says you can't use these physical markers to diagnose anyone with an autistic spectrum disorder.

As far as it goes, I have four of those traits, and I can tell you very few people just look at me and say "Oh, she's obviously autistic."

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2011, 2:07 am

I have a tiny head... and an effing child's face... and hypermobile joints... and circles under my eyes... and attached earlobes... and an asymmetrical mouth.
Lol. That makes me sound rather unattractive.

I don't know.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 6:12 am

Brachycephaly (flat, wide head) - don't know
Mouth asymmetry - I have not got
Ear lobe crease - how's this unique?
Asymmetry of the eyes - both my eyes are the same
A large mouth - my mouth is small
Limited facial expression (only in new social situations) - yes, this is related to Autism
An abnormal whorl (TH has a piebald hair color distribution; he has a neurotypical cousin with double whorls) - don't know what the hell that is
A prominent lower jaw - don't know what that is

Further, certain features occurred in the ASD group with relatively high frequency, including:

Sandal gap toes - my toes are very close to eachother
An abnormal frontal hair whorl - don't know what the hell this is
Attached earlobes - mine stick out slightly
A high, narrow palate - don't know what this is
Hypermobile joints - don't know what this is

Funny how all these sudden new parts to Autism ain't in any of the Autism books I've read nor on any internet sites about Autism....

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 Sep 2011, 6:37 am

Joe90 wrote:
Funny how all these sudden new parts to Autism ain't in any of the Autism books I've read nor on any internet sites about Autism....

They're not suddenly new. If they're really being observed (if not at the rate the study reported), then they've been there all along. They're also not particularly relevant because they can't be used to diagnose anyway.

I wouldn't argue against the idea of inflating the data as oceandrop wrote because research about autistic people tends to be really strange at times, although usually what they do is fail to include any autistic perspective while writing about autistic minds and brains.

Mommaof3
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2011, 7:40 am

Hmmm... I find this interesting. While I do look younger than I am and maybe a bit pixie like, I am told a lot I have a blank face. I am always asked am I angry? Are you ok? I have a fake half smile I flash a lot because I know it warms people up. I THINK maybe the thing you would notice about an aspie is the way their face looks in a picture. I do often look blank or trying. So does my son. You can also see his fake smile when he is trying is really "odd". I personally find him charming, lol. I did have to remind him though, and maybe I shouldn't on my part but I do because I was as a child reminded to, smile. I bet if I posted a picture of my three kids together any aspie could pick out which he is or anyone with any knowledge of aspie traits could.

WhiteRaven_214
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2011, 9:19 am

As I said on the YouTube comments: -
These "Aspie Eyes" appear to be strained, out of focus or hyper-focused, and/or accompanied with eye circles. I'm do not believe that these "Aspie Eyes" are unique to aspies, but it may be more prevalent in persons with AS.

There can be several reasons why some people have these sorts of "eyes" ( Aspie or NT); including, but not restricted to, anxiety, light hypersensitivity, sleep deprivation or fatigue, a poor or restricted diet, allergies, some medications, or hereditary.

Some of the things that I've listed may indicate, for example, that these Aspies (If they are so) may be on meds; some of these people photographed may be - or have become - anxious or in fear. They may have sleeping problems or even sleeping disorders, or are restricted to a limited diet (either self-imposed or as instructed by a nutritionist). They may also be dazing in their inner world, or just be focusing on things other than the camera.

That's just eyes alone. We would have to research much, much deeper to see if there are recognizable visual features in ASD - if any. It may not even be applicable; after all, we are looking at a spectrum disorder here, which likely stem from a multiple array of genetic and epigenetic anomalies. Just as Schizophrenia is suspected by neurologists to be a multiple array of psychiatric disorders grouped together under the one label, we could be looking at a PLETHORA of different neurological conditions that cause autistic traits, each with their own 'flavors', yet all under the one label of ASD.

One point about facial profiling - which I/we must be careful of - is that certain ethnic groups tend to be more susceptible to ASD. I have heard/read (don't quote me on this) that persons of British, Jewish and Japanese decent are among these groups.

If we all looked the same, it would make for a very easy diagnosis, and people would easily recognize us and act accordingly - this would be either a convenient advantage, or a dire liability, depending upon the situation.

I've spoken enough. No matter how attractive the concept may sound, I'm afraid that without support of medical studies, this idea of common facial/body features may be just a fantasy.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 10:13 am

Joe90 wrote:
*Feels face in a panic*

Umm....no, my eyebrows are actually quite straight. And NTs have curved eyebrows - I wish I did. They look nicer.

I wasn't born prematurely. In fact, I was born several days late from the due date.

I don't have any alien features.

And that thing about Aspies having big pupils is thrown around a lot on WP, and I sort of believed it, since every time I looked in the mirror I seemed to have big pupils. I got upset because it's bad enough being mentally unique, without being physically unique aswell. But the other day when I was waiting in the bus stop I got my pocket mirror out to see if there was anything round my mouth, and I saw that my pupils were really small, which made me feel better.

But otherwise no I don't have any different facial features. I just look like my dad, who is NT.

I hope you realize that your pupils change in size all the time due to how much light is getting in there(you need light to see, and the smaller your pupils are, the less light can get in so you can see). When it's really bright, your pupils become small. When it's dark, they become large. They also become large when taking certain drugs.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 10:41 am

Quote:
I hope you realize that your pupils change in size all the time due to how much light is getting in there(you need light to see, and the smaller your pupils are, the less light can get in so you can see). When it's really bright, your pupils become small. When it's dark, they become large. They also become large when taking certain drugs.

I do know that. It's just that I've read so many times before that Aspies have larger pupils, and I wasn't sure if that meant that Aspies pupils don't go smaller even in light.

Markmagnum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2011, 1:30 am

nemorosa wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:
But seriously, do aspies have bigger feet?

No, but we do have much bigger... :lol:

Once go autistic, you go ballistic

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 5:07 pm

2d-4d digit ratio was linked in one study to autism (lower the number, the more autistic) and in a recently-published study, to penis length. (again, the lower the number, the longer...)... So, if these are true there's a link between autism and penis length.

Thus, it's about the ring finger being more significantly longer than the index finger...