Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 9:33 am

About 7-8 hours is average for me.

Tsukimi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2011, 11:25 am

From 3 to 6 hours, according to the days.

I could sleep much more but it makes me only more *tired* - if I sleep until late then I'd sleep the whole day and have headache.

Now I am trying to wake up naturally - i.e. without alarm clock - because waking up at the wrong point is the worst part for me.

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2011, 4:19 am

I've always needed heaps of sleep - 10 hours is good. I'm always tired, but I spend so much time in a state of super alertness, I'm not surprised. Even as a child, I'd be asleep by 9:30pm, and my parents would always joke about it.

Its quite embarrassing to be half asleep when I have to go out during the evenings for social functions (few times a year)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Sep 2011, 4:27 am

I vary on how much sleep I need from 6-10 hours, and that need is usually consistent for several months. I also find it's easier for me to get to sleep when I need less sleep. Right now I need 8-10 hours of sleep and it can take me 1-3 hours to go to sleep, and it's usually hard for me to even get to bed before 4 am or so.

I also tend to fall asleep after shutdowns - I sleep more easily but not more than 1-4 hours. It's like the moment the shutdown ends I just feel intensely tired and am asleep as soon as I close my eyes. This doesn't vary no matter how bad my insomnia is.

Dingo7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2011, 6:26 am

Depends on how i sleep... a good 8 hour sleep > a broken or unsatisfying 12 hour sleep...
But i remember a few years ago i could go all week with about 5 or 6 hours a night and a good sleep in on the weekend........ now i just cant do that.... maybe i can pull it off on the odd day here and there.... but ive noticed my younger brother has discovered this strange super power you get halfway through high school... and my own sleep suffers because of this.... :(

Nocte
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Sep 2011, 7:44 am

I can't sleep without pills. When I was younger (around 7 or so) I never fell asleep before 11 at night. When my parents told me about my AS (as I had been diagnosed when I was 7, but wasn't told until I was 10), I think that's when the pills came out and by the Liesmith, they WORKED. Every night at dinner (around 6), i would take a pill and 3 hours later (9:30), I took myself off to bed and slept until 7 in the morning. This kept up until I was 20, when the maker of the pills stopped making them for no good reason. Luckily, my mother had bought a bottle of the double strength pills and I spent an hour learnining how to cut pills in half with a knife. Those lasted for about 200 days and now I'm on other, weaker pills because no company had the lobes to take up the recipe and make generics of it. My newer sleeping pills don't work as well, since I can resist them without trying.

archraphael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2011, 10:05 am

Yes I too need lots of sleep or else the feeling of stress/pressure starts piling up.
I find when I am awake after 16 or so hours I start visually hallucinating..
Ironically I have no trouble falling asleep, perhaps because I can switch energy vibrations easily...

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2011, 11:57 am

I need at least 7.5 hours to avoid the dreaded tired eyes effect.
It's amazing how much difference that last half hour makes.
When will mankind come up with an over-the-counter medication that relieves residual sleepiness? I like to go through the day without feeling the need to hang my head and close my eyes all the time.