Weird, Confusing AS Test re Large Smoothie

Page 5 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 8:01 am

Have you read the relating paper yet?

The Concept of Intentional Action in Asperger Syndrome / Tiziana Zalla & Edouard Machery

Basically, it argues that people with ASD has limited ability to recognize "purely instrumental desires" as a means to achieve "ultimate desires".

"To determine whether getting a free cup and paying an extra-dollar are intentional, participants (the ascribers) typically construct at least three consecutive representations of the events described in the vignettes: (i) a causal representation; (ii) a valence-based representation; and (iii) a mentalistic representation. " (page 5.)

(page 8., bolding from me)

Quote:
(...) An event is judged to be intentional only if it is the object of a desire. This analysis suggests that judging the intentional status of events that are concomitant with an intended action (e.g., the event of paying an extra-dollar that is concomitant with the action consisting of buying an extra-large smoothie) involves understanding the structure of the whole action. This is a complex process that involves understanding what the agent values and ascribing instrumental and ultimate desires to her.

(pages 23-24., bolding from me)
Quote:
On the basis of this account, we expected that people with Asperger Syndrome might have difficulties with judging that a neutral or negatively valued concomitant event is intentional because it involves understanding that an agent can instrumentally desire something she does not value or that she disvalues. As expected, we found that the judgments about the intentionality of morally neutral actions, such as paying an extra-euro to get a smoothie, made by a group of individuals with Asperger Syndrome differed from those made by a group of people with typical development: Individuals with Asperger Syndrome had difficulties appreciating the intentional nature of those actions that are desired merely in order to fulfil an ultimate goal. It has been suggested that people with autism spectrum disorders have difficulties understanding beliefs as a cause of emotion (Baron-Cohen, 1991) or integrating information about beliefs and desires with emotional understanding (Shamay-Tsoory, Tomer, Yaniv, & Aharon-Peretz, 2002). Here, we suggest that understanding the intentional structure of an action implies the ability to assign instrumental desires which are cognitively derived by attributing a belief about what will lead to the fulfilment of the ultimate desire. People with Asperger Syndrome’s understanding of the structure of some complex actions— especially those that involve negatively valued means—is thus impaired in at least some contexts. Such a difficulty in conceiving an action as an object of a purely instrumental desire might arise from a specific deficit in mindreading. Alternatively, it could arise from an impaired capacity to inhibit the tendency to represent positively (desirable) valued actions as intentional and negatively (non desirable) valued actions as non-intentional. Indeed, an extensive literature has shown that the ability to disengage from a prepotent representation is impaired in people with autism spectrum disorders (Hill, 2004; Ozonoff et al., 1991a, b).

(pages 16-17., bolding from me)
Quote:
Previous research indicates that individuals with autism spectrum disorders fail on tests of planning, such as the Tower of Hanoi task (Ozonoff, Pennington & Rogers, 1991a, b) and the Tower of London task (Hughes, Russell & Robbins, 1994), which tests for the ability to establish means-end relationships. By using a picture-sequencing task, Zalla and colleagues (2006) investigated the ability of a group of children with autism to represent different types of goal-directed actions. Participants were told that they would be presented with series of pictures representing actions and events, and that they would have to arrange them in their correct temporal/causal order so as to create a story. The number of errors (i.e., event inversions) was greater in the middle of the sequences, suggesting that while children with autism were able to identify the ultimate goal of the action sequence, they had difficulties understanding how some component events were related to bringing about the ultimate goal of the agent. Indeed, several participants with autism placed easily the first and last images in their correct order, but encountered difficulties in inserting the cards in the middle of the sequence. The authors suggested that these difficulties might be linked to difficulties in representing the hierarchical structure of the intentional action.

Furthermore, difficulties in distinguishing between intentional and non-intentional actions in others and themselves have already been reported in individuals with autism spectrum disorders. In Philips, Baron-Cohen, and Rutter (1998), young participants with autism showed more difficulties in distinguishing the unintended from the intended outcomes of their own actions than a comparison group, when the unintended actions were positively valued.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Sep 2011, 1:51 pm

What was that Marshall said about NTs thinking autistic people overthink/overcomplicate things, again? :roll:

The simplest explanation is probably the true explanation: The question says nothing about Joe's expectations as to cost, only that he wants a smoothie, so why take information that's not even presented into account?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 2:10 pm

I read the paper.

My conclusion in a nutshell...

Most intuitive definition of "intentional" for NTs: Done willfully to bring about a desired end.

Most intuitive definition of "intentional" for people with Aspergers: Conforming to a pre-existing plan or scheme.

Utilizing the first definition relies on spooky notions of sentience and free-will (which is why intent can be perceived arbitrarily in many cases in order to usefully fit a moral framework). Utilizing the second definition, one can answer matter-of-factly with no need to consider any internal disposition or moral framework. Also, the former applies only to human-like minds while the latter definition could also apply to the actions of a robot or computer program.

I would say people with Aspergers do in fact understand and use both definitions, as do NTs. People with Aspergers just prefer the latter while NTs prefer the former.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 2:39 am

marshall wrote:
I read the paper.

Most intuitive definition of "intentional" for NTs: Done willfully to bring about a desired end.

Most intuitive definition of "intentional" for people with Aspergers: Conforming to a pre-existing plan or scheme.

Utilizing the first definition relies on spooky notions of sentience and free-will (which is why intent can be perceived arbitrarily in many cases in order to usefully fit a moral framework). Utilizing the second definition, one can answer matter-of-factly with no need to consider any internal disposition or moral framework. Also, the former applies only to human-like minds while the latter definition could also apply to the actions of a robot or computer program.

I would say people with Aspergers do in fact understand and use both definitions, as do NTs. People with Aspergers just prefer the latter while NTs prefer the former.

I think you pretty much hit the nail in the head... And yes, NTs sometimes overthink/overcomplicate things...

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 11:05 am

OJani wrote:
marshall wrote:
I read the paper.

I think you pretty much hit the nail in the head... And yes, NTs sometimes overthink/overcomplicate things...

Yea. I would say the first definition of "intentional" is more complicated than the second. If you read many of the referenced papers, it is shown that whether a consequence of an action is deemed intentional or unintentional is not only dependent on whether the consequence is desired by the actor, but also dependent on moral judgements of whether the consequence is universally seen as desirable or harmful. This is because intentionality is also intricately tied to notions of moral culpability/responsibility. So most people's actual understanding of the word "intentional" is indeed MUCH more complicated than what is stated in a typical dictionary.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 12:51 pm

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/intentional

Quote:
intentional
[in-ten-shuh-nl]   Like this word?
in·ten·tion·al
   /ɪnˈtɛnʃənl/ Show Spelled[in-ten-shuh-nl] Show IPA
adjective
done with intention or on purpose; intended: an intentional insult.
of or pertaining to intention or purpose.
Metaphysics .
a.
pertaining to an appearance, phenomenon, or representation in the mind; phenomenal; representational.
b.
pertaining to the capacity of the mind to refer to an existent or nonexistent object.
c.
pointing beyond itself, as consciousness or a sign.
Origin:

Okay so it looks like it fits my answer of intentional for the test since he knew about the special cup and the extra dollar. So I say it's semantics. I can also see how it be unintentional too since he didn't plan those when he wanted the biggest smoothie and by the time he knew, he did it intentionally because he hadn't purchased it yet and the person hadn't made it for him yet.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 6:26 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I answered "Unintentional, Unintentional", because Joe's intent to get the drink outweighed all other intents by far.

Yep, me too.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 6:30 pm

marshall wrote:
I read the paper.

I agree with you on this. 'Conforming to a pre-existing plan or scheme', is certainly my preferred definition.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Sep 2011, 11:51 pm

OJani wrote:

According to this image: people with AS are only less likely to judge an extra payment as intentional. My first "feeling" was that both cases were unintentional, because Joe didn't care about extra price. However, my second and final answer was "unintentional/intentional", because he sent signals from his brain to muscles in purpose to pay this one extra dollar. So, his brain controlled his own body.

Anyway, if we consider social engineering (according to my knowledge), it can be, again, qualified as unintentional (even if Joe thoght it was him own decision). People seem to be really easy to manipulate through their subconsciousness (I'm not saying I can do this, but I know it's real, Kevin Mitnick is a good example).

I'm diagnosed with very mild AS, so I had problems (sometimes severe) with peers at primary and secondary school, but I improved dramatically from this time, so now I can't even consider myself as disabled in any way (well, excluding meltdowns). I'm aware of some basic social rules and I can understand other people if I concentrate on this task, but still I can have mild problems with communication. Maybe that's why I fall within those 21.4%. Or... maybe I don't have AS after all?

marshall wrote:

However, I can't understand why one of the definitions is more complicated than other. For me they're equally complicated, but I would change the first one to "Done something consciously" (if I understand the original one properly). If you killed someone without purpose, but did it consciously, you clearly intended to do this (people are sometimes illogical). The same rule could apply to our case: Joe wasn't robbed, he paid consciously, intentionally. Anyway, I understand the other definition as well. It's hard to decide which one describes my real-life behavior better.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 2:21 am

Verdandi wrote:
What was that Marshall said about NTs thinking autistic people overthink/overcomplicate things, again? :roll:

The simplest explanation is probably the true explanation: The question says nothing about Joe's expectations as to cost, only that he wants a smoothie, so why take information that's not even presented into account?

Because, I think that is precisely what NTs do. They will notice information which is not actually mentioned, and extrapolate on things.

Taking a break.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 2:24 am

65536 wrote:
OJani wrote:

According to this image: people with AS are only less likely to judge an extra payment as intentional. My first "feeling" was that both cases were unintentional, because Joe didn't care about extra price. However, my second and final answer was "unintentional/intentional", because he sent signals from his brain to muscles in purpose to pay this one extra dollar. So, his brain controlled his own body.

Anyway, if we consider social engineering (according to my knowledge), it can be, again, qualified as unintentional (even if Joe thoght it was him own decision). People seem to be really easy to manipulate through their subconsciousness (I'm not saying I can do this, but I know it's real, Kevin Mitnick is a good example).

I'm diagnosed with very mild AS, so I had problems (sometimes severe) with peers at primary and secondary school, but I improved dramatically from this time, so now I can't even consider myself as disabled in any way (well, excluding meltdowns). I'm aware of some basic social rules and I can understand other people if I concentrate on this task, but still I can have mild problems with communication. Maybe that's why I fall within those 21.4%. Or... maybe I don't have AS after all?

I also fall in that 21.4%, and for me it could be because I have studied social things intensively, and I pretty much have learnt to think like an NT, ie look for inferences everywhere.

Taking a break.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2011, 4:35 am

zen_mistress wrote:
I also fall in that 21.4%, and for me it could be because I have studied social things intensively, and I pretty much have learnt to think like an NT, ie look for inferences everywhere.

I wonder if there's a correlation between severity of AS and the "neurotypical" answer.

Anyway, no diagnostic criteria say that "you have to answer properly blah blah blah blah to get/not get a diagnosis". More important (in my opinion) is that you fail to maintain proper social relationships, have some routines and special interests etc. (especially in your past). The criteria also don't even consider things like "reading emotions from facial expressions" (this is just an subjectively understood element of "maintaining relationships" and "social skills"). I think this may be similar to RDOS Aspie Quiz in 2005 (25% of diagnosed people were classified as neurotypicals).

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 3:11 pm

65536 wrote:
(...)

Anyway, if we consider social engineering (according to my knowledge), it can be, again, qualified as unintentional (even if Joe thoght it was him own decision). People seem to be really easy to manipulate through their subconsciousness (I'm not saying I can do this, but I know it's real, Kevin Mitnick is a good example).(...)

My thoughts streamed in the opposite direction. First I thought Joe intentionally paid more for the smoothie, then I revised it, since it was not Joe's initial intention to pay more for the drink, only to buy the largest one to quench his thirst.

All in all, I believe this whole difference between typical NT thinking and typical ASD thinking boils down to how NTs prefer solving problems together in teams, while ASD people tend to be more lone problem solvers, at least in their hearts. The whole thinking process is affected by the preferred method of solving. Communication is a part of it. NTs usually put more emphasis on what else should be done to achieve a goal ("instrumental desire") and how to communicate it, what to think about it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 3:37 pm

My answers to the test are now both. Intentional and unintentional to both questions. It depend son how you look at it and because I see it both ways, I think it's both.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2011, 4:40 pm

I don't know then what really counts: the first thought (feeling) or the final thought? I'm, however, definitely a lone problem solver (I tried solving problems with other people, but didn't really enjoyed it, mainly because I like independence and other people annoy me).

I would reconsider my decision, so in my case it would be intentional to pay extra money or go somewhere else.

And what about "The Harm Case" and "The Help Case" mentioned in the document (linked above)?

Quote:
The Harm Case
The vice-president of a company went to the chairman of the board and said, ‘We are thinking of starting a new program. It will help us increase profits, but it will also harm the environment.’ The chairman of the board answered, ‘I don’t care at all about harming the environment. I just want to make as much profit as I can. Let’s start the new program.’ They started the new program. Sure enough, the environment was harmed. Did the chairman intentionally harm the environment?

The Help Case
The vice-president of a company went to the chairman of the board and said, ‘We are thinking of starting a new program. It will help us increase profits, and it will also help the environment.’ The chairman of the board answered, ‘I don’t care at all about helping the environment. I just want to make as much profit as I can. Let’s start the new program.’ They started the new program. Sure enough, the environment was helped. Did the chairman intentionally help the environment?

I would say that if someone know that his decision will harm the environment, he is responsible for the damage and intentionally did it (because if A => B => C, then A => C). In the other case, he's responsible for the help too, but it was not intentional. Why? Because, according to the document, the harm is included to the costs. I prefer other explanation: the harm is just more (morally?) important than benefit.

Quote:
Concerning individuals with Asperger Syndrome, in a previous work, one of us (Zalla, submitted) has shown that in at least some cases, the intentionality judgments of individuals with Asperger Syndrome are similar to those of comparison participants. Individuals with Asperger Syndrome who were presented with Knobe’s help and harm cases (see Section 1) judged that the agent intentionally harmed the environment, while judging that he did not intentionally helped the environment, just like comparison participants do (Zalla, submitted). The similarity between the judgments of individual with Asperger Syndrome and comparison participants notwithstanding, Zalla has proposed that individuals with Asperger Syndrome are in fact impaired in their conceptualization of the intentional status of actions. The apparently “normal,” asymmetric pattern of judgments in the harm and help cases is due, it was hypothesized, to individuals with Asperger Syndrome relying on a cognitive compensatory strategy. Individuals with Asperger Syndrome are extremely sensitive to normative violations and moral considerations. As a result, they might use the fact that an action violates a norm as a cue to its intentional nature.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Sep 2011, 5:10 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Because, I think that is precisely what NTs do. They will notice information which is not actually mentioned, and extrapolate on things.

I recently read an article about research done to compare autistic atheists with neurotypical atheists. One thing they discovered was that NT atheists had a tendency to describe natural processes in terms of how much God totally didn't do it, and autistic atheists had a tendency to just describe things without even mentioning supernatural agency. There's a word for this, and it bothers me that I can't remember what it is,