Page 5 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Feb 2012, 11:42 am

myth wrote:
It's so frustrating... any time I am any amount of excited or addled or any unidetifyable emotion that is NOT anger and my voice becomes animated or raised, everyone freaks out and tells me to calm down and thinks that I'm super pissed. My husband does this to me quite a bit lately and insists that I'm extremely upset and yelling at him even though I tell him that I'm not. Why does everyone this always happen to me? There is a HUGE difference between animated talking and angry yelling. My mom was always loud and animated and I could tell the difference between that and anger, though few other people could. But my husband's family has a loud baseline of conversation too. I really thought he would be the one to understand or at least be able to believe when I say I'm not angry.
He actually tries to tell me that I am angry and I just can't identify it properly. :?
But I don't feel angry. I just feel.. midly agitated or excited.. or something.

This happens to me, too. I've had counselors tell me that it is OK to cry or rant, or whatever, and I wasn't feeling anything but enthusiasm at the time. :? worse, I've had people get angry with me, thinking that I was already angry with them! :roll:

myth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 1:27 pm

^ Yeah that's what always happens to me. People start getting snappy and angry with me and I'm like "why are you angry :?" and they're like "You yelled at me first!! !"

Actually, I can't really say "people" it's almost exclusively husbands that have done things like this to me because they're the only ones I have actual conversations with. No reason to get animated during small talk. Do people expect you to speak in an extremely calm manner at all times? Isn't that called monotone :?

Nothing is absolute.