Yes. 83%  83%  [ 49 ]
Sort of. 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
No. 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 59

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 5:00 am

I have diagnosed AS, and my entire life, people have noted how I seem to have a way with animals. I like them, and I seem to attract them, almost, even. I've sat down with dogs and cats that the owners claim don't like or are shy of everyone, and usually within a minute or so, they'll just come right up to me like it's no big deal; even let me pet them a bit. The owners are just mystified. And it's not just with cats and dogs, either. I've had similar experiences the few times I've been around horses, too. Same with rodents like guinea pigs, rabbits, mice and rats.

It's really weird, and really cool at the same time. People say I should volunteer at the local animal shelter (which I really should, given that I'm unemployed right now).

Anyone else seem to have that happen to them?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 8:12 am

Yes, I think I do as a rule. Once I was getting a ride with someone who had a dog I'd never me. I got in the back seat with the dog and the dog immediately put his head on my shoulder. That made me feel nice. But I think most of all they sense no threat from me and also sense that I like them and care about their welfare.

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 8:48 am

Most cats hate me, but other than that.....

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 9:02 am

Yes. I think it's because my body language says "not pushy, non-threatening." Most domestic animals read that as "safe to approach". But they do have their own personalities; so beyond that first safe-to-approach message, some animals like me more than others, and I like some more than others. They are all individuals.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 9:42 am

Peanut and I both appear to be very appealing to animals. My mum's neighbour's dog goes insane with excitement when he sees either of us and I've been told that he doesn't do that with anyone else. Also, Peanut's nursery was on a non-working farm and they had a couple of horses. When they saw us walking along the drive, they'd head straight for the fence and it was almost as if they were hypnotised when we spoke to them. My husband laughed at this and said I should be a horse whisperer. I used to acquire dog friends when I was a kid and they'd come to my house to play (not strays, pets who were allowed to roam). Peanut wants to be a vet again (after a couple of weeks of wanting to be a TV presenter).

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 9:56 am

I have got a way with animals... at least I hope I have because I work at an animal shelter as a volunteer! As for you volunteering: Go for it! It's great fun as long as you choose the right animals to work with. I work with the small animals in our shelter so basically the rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets and other small furries. They also have a dog and cat section, but I prefer the smalls.

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2011, 10:51 am

I have always been told I have a way with animals, and they have always been my best friends. Horses and cats are my favorites, but I love all animals. I have had cats,dogs, mice, hamsters, ferrets, bunnies, birds, frogs, and fish. I hope to have my own horse someday. We just seem to connect in a way I could never connect with humans, and the animals seem to enjoy it too.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 2:53 pm

No. I wish I did, though. :( I love animals.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 3:03 pm

I get along really well with cats and dogs. My mom says it's because animals can sense that I'm gentle and pose no threat to them.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 3:07 pm

kittie wrote:
No. I wish I did, though. :( I love animals.
Hey, don't be sad about it. Anybody can get to know an animal, even if you're not naturally non-threatening to animals. All it does for me is give me a better "first impression", and that only to pets. Wild animals are just as scared of me as any other human--pets are used to interacting with humans. To a wild animal, I'm a human and that's scary.

Autism Memorial:

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 3:10 pm

Yes. Everything except rabbits.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 5:56 pm

Yes, it seems that way. I think part of it is paying more attention than usual to what the animal wants. I.e. if I go to touch a cat and he/she doesn't look like he/she wants or like it, I back off. It seems like a lot of people try to 'forcibly' pet unfamiliar animals.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 6:01 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Yes, it seems that way. I think part of it is paying more attention than usual to what the animal wants. I.e. if I go to touch a cat and he/she doesn't look like he/she wants or like it, I back off. It seems like a lot of people try to 'forcibly' pet unfamiliar animals.

I'm the same way with kids. I let them approach me when and if they want to.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 6:22 pm

Yes. I frequently hear things like "Oh wow, I can't believe how affectionate my dog is with you. She doesn't like anyone."

I don't understand how I can be so oblivious of human social cues, and so sensitive to those of animals.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 6:26 pm

I wonder what percentage of NTs would say they "have a way with animals"? As many as autistics? More? Less? Hmm...

Autism Memorial:

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 6:42 pm

Yes, I tend to talk to people's pets rather than the much scarier people. Sometimes too much. I stop when I sense the people wanting to get down on the ground so they can get some attention, too.