Whost else thinks cremation should be banned?

Page 1 of 9 [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

NorwichAspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Sep 2011, 5:39 am

Does anyone else on this forum think that cremation is an evil satanic practice and should be banned outright? I am 35 years of age and have had this view since i was 8 years old. I just think it is a truly horrible thing to do the dead. Has anyone seen the pictures on the net of what it actually looks like when a body is being burnt, it is really frightening. I have had nightmares about it since i was 14. If anyone else feels the same way please leave a reply.

MMonjeJr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Sep 2011, 5:52 am

I'm of the opposite orientation. The worst possible fear I have is that of being buried alive. I'm extremely claustrophobic, and much like you, I have obsessed on burial from a young age. I have always wanted to be disposed of by fire because NO MATTER WHAT I'm gone then. No nail marks on the inside of the coffin for me.

I have realized, as I've gotten older, that this is an irrational fear on my part, though. I generally wouldn't want to ban any burial practice for any reason other than public hygiene, mostly because I'm sure that there are people out there who would object to nearly any practice, so "live and let live" seems to be a lot easier a way to deal with that diversity than "let's have a legislation war".

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 5:55 am

Not at all. I plan to be cremated. Burial takes up valuable space, although I do love old graveyards. I don't believe in bodily resurrection either. BTW, I was listening to a radio show about alternatives to burial. One cool thing available is to get cremated, your ashes are mixed with concrete and placed in the ocean to become a coral reef. I understand irrational fears about such things though. I have a horror of being buried alive, though I know that's not possible.

Also, this is a matter of personal choice and should not be legislated.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 6:00 am

Have you ever seen a body rotting? It is really frightening.

Seriously though, they are dead. It doesn't matter. Let those left behind do as they wish.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Sep 2011, 6:01 am

Cremation's a common burial practice. It has no satanic or evil connotations.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 6:34 am

This is my preferred option:
www.scottish-enterprise.com/news/2011/0 ... ative.aspx
Although it was developed here in Scotland, it's not available here yet (it's only in one funeral home in Florida so far).

Burial - What if I come back as a ghost and can't resist the temptation to go and see my old body decomposing? Cremation is much more preferable to that.

Troy_Guther
Toucan
Toucan

14 Sep 2011, 6:38 am

I too am not a fan of cremation. It should be banned. It makes perfect sense to ban it for everyone just because I don't like it, :D

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 6:39 am

No way - I don't like the idea of my body rotting in a grave.

Last edited by Joe90 on 16 Sep 2011, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 6:55 am

Eugh this is a dark topic.

The ideas of both burial and cremation horrify me. Luckily I'm never going to die, so.

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 7:06 am

Both burial and cremation seem madness to me. The body is the most valuable thing we have, and people bury them or burn them?? And they pay a fortune for the privilege????? The world is stark staring mad.

When I die I want anything that still works to be reused, then let medical students experiment on what is left, to improve their medical skills and find new ways to heal people. Then feed what is left to animals, to say thank you (and sorry) for all the animals I have eaten. If there are any bones left use them for souvenirs (if my life was worth remembering) or raw materials for whatever industry needs them.

Or if that is too much trouble, leave me to the seagulls. nature has recycling down to a fine art.

Of course, what will actually happen is my loved ones will be faced with a bill in order to bury my body against my will, or tax payers will have the money stolen from them by the government to do the same.

Madness.

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 7:23 am

purchase wrote:
Luckily I'm never going to die, so.

This. I don't believe in death. The real me is the genes and ideas, and those last forever. As for my current point of view, that lasts forever as well because time does not flow: it is merely a way to make sense of the infinite possibilities around us.

Sure, the physical body gets recycled all the time - nearly all of our cells are recycled every few months or years. The real me is not my body, otherwise I would be dead already: all my original cells are gone. The real me is the genes that hold me together, and the experiences that make me unique.

Those cells are still out there somewhere: dead skin cells in vacuum cleaner bags in landfills, and the material from other dead cells has been long since been removed into my blood stream then ejected into a toilet. There it will be eaten by other creatures and become part of their bodies. And so the cycle of life continues.

When the last healthy cell of this body finally dies, it won't matter, I have already passed on my genes to my kids. My son is far more like me than I am: he has all the good stuff and none of the bad. He is the real me, the me I wanted to be but didn't get right first time. He is "me mark two." It makes me laugh that people pay a fortune to have their bodies frozen after they die, or hope to be reanimated through computer technology. There is a much easier way. I even have back-up copies (more children).

And if you don't have kids it doesn't matter - the genes are spread through the whole family. As long as enough people pass them on, the genes will survive. And if you want your precise pattern to survive (and you don't plan to have kids) then write a book.

The final death of a person would be so depressing. I'm glad it never happens.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 7:27 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
This is my preferred option:
www.scottish-enterprise.com/news/2011/0 ... ative.aspx
Although it was developed here in Scotland, it's not available here yet (it's only in one funeral home in Florida so far).

That's pretty cool. Wicked gross, but still pretty cool.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

lilypadfad
Toucan
Toucan

14 Sep 2011, 7:33 am

I don't think the dead care. But I would like a traditional Viking funeral.

Crom is a grim, gloomy and unforgiving god, ever watching from atop his mountain in dark clouds and obscuring mists, ready to pass disapproving judgment on any and all. But he is said to value courage and tenacity in mortals, even if they ultimately fail.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 7:46 am

trappedinhell wrote:
When I die I want anything that still works to be reused, then let medical students experiment on what is left, to improve their medical skills and find new ways to heal people. .

Have you put that in writing? I don't know what the laws are in Scotland, but in the U.S. it is quite legal and encouraged. I am an organ donor (or will be, if I die in a way that leaves anything usable).

Here is a link for whole-body donation:

http://medcure.org/?gclid=CMK9osPhnKsCFUM45Qod_xYqgQ

Is this an option in Scotland? I don't know. But it's worth looking into if you feel strongly about this, as you clearly do.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 8:03 am

I read the subject line of this thread wondering who the WP member was named "cremation" that needed banning! :lol: That's what being a moderator does to your brain!

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 8:19 am

Janissy wrote:
trappedinhell wrote:
When I die I want anything that still works to be reused, then let medical students experiment on what is left, to improve their medical skills and find new ways to heal people. .

Have you put that in writing? I don't know what the laws are in Scotland, but in the U.S. it is quite legal and encouraged. I am an organ donor (or will be, if I die in a way that leaves anything usable).

I checked a couple of years ago, and read that you have to make your own arrangements with the nearest teaching hospital. I live in a remote village so that isn't really practical.

I think that so few Scots want their bodies reused that there isn't straightforward way of doing it. Or perhaps most Scots doesn't have bodies the hospitals want? Scots are famous for dying young due to a combination of deep fried Mars bars, excessive alcohol, lack of sunlight or fresh veg, and Edinburgh drugs or Glasgow gang warfare. :)