Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 5:32 pm

Kailuamom wrote:
When my kids ask the same question over and over (NT or AS, doesn't matter), my answer is always, "what do you think?".

I don't say it meanly, just matter of fact. Sometimes I will say "I dont know, what do you think?", but really, it's better to leave the "i don't know" off.

My younger son with OCD and AS tends to ask the ABA therapist the same questions over and over and she tells him that if he already knows the answer to a question or if he has already asked it, don't ask it again.

With my younger son, it is not echolalia or a speech thing; he just repeatedly asks questions about his fixations. He wants others to talk with him about the colors of objects, street signs, public restrooms, etc. He has trouble talking about things or drawing pictures of things that are not his fixations. (He actually draws pictures of street signs and public restroom doors).

www.freevideosforautistickids.com is my website with hundreds of links and thousands of educational videos for kids, parents and educators. Son with high-functioning classic autism, aged 7, and son with OCD/Aspergers, aged 4. I love my boys!

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 7:48 pm

victorytea wrote:
My Caleb is a very smart and loving child. He talks a lot of repetitious nonsense most of the time. My question- should we allow him to do this or should we curb it? He is an aspie- we love him dearly and if he needs to do this, we will listen, Just don't know what's best for him.

he's 6. just a gentle reminder should do. he's still a kid but, obviously he needs to grow out of it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 11:09 pm

blondeambition wrote:
I think that Cyberdad's kiddo has echolalia.

Yeah, we basically use her echolalia to help her learn speech. Her vocab is on par with NT kids her age but it the expressive use of language in situational context that we are still working on.

blondeambition wrote:
We also used whatever speech videos that I could find, as well as various preschool videos. Whenever English subtitles or closed captioning was available, I turned it on. He watched a lot more videos than regular TV. Anyway, as the speech improved, the echolalia went away.

My daughter is watching Harry Potter, so I'll see if xshe can watch it with close captioned text.