Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Misgen
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Sep 2011, 9:31 pm

HI

So I had class today and stuff, and this girl that I met in class, she seems to think I'm something of a pity, and so she pushes me into conversation or calls me over to talk with her. I don't really know how to react, so I go with it... she says something like she can 'relate' to how I act around others and she says she is 'annoyed' (but not really annoyed though) that I am 'shy', and so I think she is being nice to get to be my friend. Out of the few friendships I've had in my life, I'm starting to think this is really the only way I ever make friends... if someone else 'pushes' themselves onto me, or pushes their friendship onto me so that I have no choice but to accept it. Is this normal? I can't seem to make friends unless someone else 'pities' me or unless someone else pushes me to be friends...
Also, when she was talking, she talks on and on about stuff. Then she asks me about my interests and hobbies... I said what I thought, but not that much, I feel I don't have anything to say about myself, and my interests I feel she wouldn't really understand. I hate being too personal, so I will say what I think but I won't ever elaborate, I will stop myself before that... So Instead I mostly listen to other people, a little bit too much. She told me also that she had a medical problem so she had to take pills, and so I just listened and never asked about it right? She told me then that I lasted the longest without ever asking about it. I don't really know what she wanted me to say about it, its her problem and I didn't even really think twice about it till she told me I didn't question it. Anyways, so the main point is is that she talks on and on, I honestly don't mind listening, but I feel bad I can't contribute much, and if I keep acting the same she will probably hate me... I try to talk more but it doesn't usually end up anywhere. She then asks me if I want her number and to call her on the weekend... I said that I can wait till Monday to see her again in class (she had to go to a different class right away so she didn't really have time to give me it) so i don't really know what to do. I don't have any experience with calling other people or talking over the phone, I feel I have nothing important to say. If she does give me her phone number, it is very unlikely that I would ever call. then she might think I am rude for not calling. I feel a split in my feelings, on one side I do want a friendship, anyone really, but on the other side, it seems a bit forced and I feel like I need to push away to be comfortable. It is sort of like, I want acceptance, but at the same time I reject it?

How could I be normal and talk to her more without being silent? Is it weird that she only talks to me because she feels sorry? How should I handle this situation?

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 9:55 pm

When friendless kids ask; How can I make frends?, the ago old advise seems to be; To have friends, be a friend. Introduce yourself to someone who seems to need a friend.

Perhaps that's what your classmate is trying to do. But, note that in this scenario, she would be seeking you out in order to make a friend rather than in pity.

She may be a bit awkward and pushy because she has not yet developed fluid social graces.

Feel free to go as slow as you like in developing a friendshp with anyone. You have no obligation whatsoever in a situation such as this. But since this girl is making her attentions available to you, why not hear her out and see if you have any liking for her?

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 11:30 pm

She sounds like she is trying to help you become more comfortable around people. While she is trying to put in an effort and be nice to you, it does sound like she is piting you rather than truly including you as she is clearly highlighting your differences (i.e. when she said that you went a long time without saying something when she was going on about her pills.).

If you are in high school, though, most kids are like this...they get fascinated by people who are shy or odd but lack the knowledge it takes to truly make someone feel welcome.

I think that if you would like to pursue things further with this girl, I want you to know that you CAN contribute...just by listening. Here's the trick...you should practice something called active listening which is used all the time in conversations. It took me a while to learn it, but I saw situations like the one you've described as an opportunity to practice it.

The girl you were talking to seemed surprised as you seemed to be giving no indication or acknowledgement of the things she was discussing, especially when she was discussing something very personal and emotional for her (her medical problem). She expected you to say something like "I'm so sorry" or make a comment that it must be hard for her, and when you did not, that surprised her.

Active listening doesn't involve being silent and just taking words in...that isn`t listening, period. It involves constant acknowledgement of the other person's situation. Things like nodding your head, saying "okay", "mm-hmm", asking questions and rephrasing the situation are some of the ways you can acknowledge the speaker. There are so many internet resources available on this topic...I encourage you to familiarize yourself with them. It takes practice, but fortunately you have someone to test it out with.

I also suggest you look for more people like yourself who will truly like you for who you are instead of trying to change you. An Asperger's meetup could be worth a shot. For most of high school, all of my friends were in special ed...they are the most non-judgemental people around.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 1:08 pm

Does she have a lot of friends? That'd explain a lot, too, she could just be lonely, but have an outgoing personality.

Simply be honest with her, I'd say that's about all. Say "hey, I'm sorry I don't feel comfortable going out with you on the weekend, I have personal problems, and yeah." Or if you want to do, then do it.

Karuna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2011, 1:47 pm

It's not that you haven't got anything to say, it's that she's not talking about the right subjects and at your age you don't have a massive variety of subjects that you'll be interested in. How about looking for common ground? Like music, movies or whatever. Or some kind of shared situation, ie not having anyone to do things with and then not looking into it any deeper than that.

Although tbh, it might just be that shes not your type of person and i couldnt blame you for feeling like that.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 11:07 pm

I've had people like that but I usualy became friends with them eventualy if my weirdness, meltdowns and rages didn't scare them off.