Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 2:35 pm

marshall wrote:
This is the problem with religious people. They are incapable of understanding those who can't think/believe the way they do. My deepest gut tells me that the "well adjusted" are just not in touch with reality. I simply do not have the mental power to convince myself that there is some grand plan for all and that the deepest suffering in this world is not truly in vain. It's not that I consciously look down on or have contempt for religious people. I just find that their talk only makes me feel more alone than ever.

This.

I think people should be allowed to commit suicide provided they make plans to do so and are assisted by medical professionals. This is because I don't believe that suffering has a purpose - or rather I cannot believe that it does.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 3:07 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
marshall wrote:
This is the problem with religious people. They are incapable of understanding those who can't think/believe the way they do. My deepest gut tells me that the "well adjusted" are just not in touch with reality. I simply do not have the mental power to convince myself that there is some grand plan for all and that the deepest suffering in this world is not truly in vain. It's not that I consciously look down on or have contempt for religious people. I just find that their talk only makes me feel more alone than ever.

This.

I think people should be allowed to commit suicide provided they make plans to do so and are assisted by medical professionals. This is because I don't believe that suffering has a purpose - or rather I cannot believe that it does.

Well I think there should be efforts to help someone who is suicidal feel better rather than just ok it and help them kill themself. I mean as someone who has been in that position yeah if it was looked at as perfectly fine to commit suicide and there where readily availible medical resources to even help with the process then that would only further encourage me....but in reality I really would prefer not to die sometimes there is just so much pain and feelings of worthlessness it feels like the only solution.

Also, there is the fact that many times the thoughts leading up to suicide are somewhat delusional....especially if mental illness is one of the contributing factors. So the idea of helping a mentally person kill themself without major efforts to help them get past the suicidal feelings is disturbing to me. But say like someone is terminally ill and would prefer to meet a peaceful painless end rather than continue suffering horrible symptoms of their illness that will kill them eventually anyways then I would say it is more reasonable to provide assistance for that.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 3:14 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
marshall wrote:

This.

Well I think there should be efforts to help someone who is suicidal feel better rather than just ok it and help them kill themself. I mean as someone who has been in that position yeah if it was looked at as perfectly fine to commit suicide and there where readily availible medical resources to even help with the process then that would only further encourage me....but in reality I really would prefer not to die sometimes there is just so much pain and feelings of worthlessness it feels like the only solution.

Also, there is the fact that many times the thoughts leading up to suicide are somewhat delusional....especially if mental illness is one of the contributing factors. So the idea of helping a mentally person kill themself without major efforts to help them get past the suicidal feelings is disturbing to me. But say like someone is terminally ill and would prefer to meet a peaceful painless end rather than continue suffering horrible symptoms of their illness that will kill them eventually anyways then I would say it is more reasonable to provide assistance for that.

The idea is that these medical professionals would not assist the suicide of anyone who was delusional or in the case of someone with a mental illness that could go into remission or improve in any way. It would be grossly irresponsible if they helped people commit suicide in these cases.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 3:42 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
marshall wrote:

This.

The idea is that these medical professionals would not assist the suicide of anyone who was delusional or in the case of someone with a mental illness that could go into remission or improve in any way. It would be grossly irresponsible if they helped people commit suicide in these cases.

Ok well that's good........I do agree with what you said when it applies to situations where there is not a likelyhood of things improving or any other adequate way to relieve their pain.

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 5:10 pm

@ 91

Quote:
IF.....

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;

That is an awful lot of 'Ifs" in the post.
I can not live on 'ifs' "shoulds" 'should not'
it is the old 'if wishes were horses"

For many people it is a cry for help and with out the help they fall deeper.
If someone really really wants to commit suicide they will and nothing can stop them.
I knew a woman who in preparation for her family took out a large life insurance policy. There was a clause that if the person suicides within two years time, the policy would be void and not pay out. She waited the two years and then killed herself. Two years of wanting to die but waiting to provide for her kids.

One thought that I have that supported my atheistic view was the phrase : "that God does not give you any more than you can handle." Ya, ya know if that were true, then no one would commit suicide.

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.