Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 4:47 pm

Yes. I donate blood regularly.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 8:38 pm

I've donated blood quite a bit.

I've worked with blood pathogens and had baseline testing done before too.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 9:05 pm

I've been tested many times.

I'm sexually active so get regular STD tests - before and after every relationship. Plus whenever you go into a sexual health clinic with a general infection or prior to getting a IUD they tend to offer testing, and it's usually far less hassle to just agree to them being done then too. I've also given blood once so I'd have been screened then too.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 2:43 pm

Well, I got the test done today.

I had to fill out some paperwork, and then I was given a number and told to wait with others who were getting tested. I swear, I was probably the only white person there. There were a lot of black people in the same waiting area, plus a few non-blacks of some other ethnicity/race. That reminded me of how HIV/AIDS seems to affect members of the black community moreso than other racial and ethnic groups, so that explained the large black presence there (for me, at least). One of the people in the waiting area brought up how people waiting to get tested should have drunk some water prior to avoid any risk of getting dehydrated. Since I didn't drink any liquid besides coffee in the several hours preceding the testing, that sort of made me nervous. Fortunately, the office had bottled waters in store, so I requested one and they gave me one. I knew that only a little blood was going to be drawn, but because I'm so underweight, I didn't want to take any chances.

Anyway, when I was finally called in to get tested, all that happened was having a needle go into my arm and seeing the blood drawn out (it was kind of neat to see my blood in that syringe). After leaving the clinic, I began to feel shaky (though that could have just been because I was cold), but I felt better shortly thereafter. I will get my results back Wednesday of next week, but I'll have to go back on campus to the same place that I got tested in order to pick up my results.

To be honest, I'm not nervous in the slightest. I'm actually very excited to see my results. I do hope that doesn't make me weird. :roll:

Last edited by Descartes on 22 Sep 2011, 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 2:50 pm

Every time they draw blood to check my cholesterol, it seems. I'm a heterosexual male in a 20-year monogamous relationship, and I don't use drugs, share needles, patronize prostitutes, or do anything on the "down-low". It's just part of my HMO's policy.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 1:02 pm

Unless you can get it from a toilet seat--and I'm pretty careful around those--I have no reason to be tested.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 2:15 pm

No. I haven't gotten tested. Apparently, no one wants my blood since I have a blood enzyme deficiency.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose-6- ... deficiency