Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2011, 10:46 am

Ok... well I don't know if it's normal but I came to think about it recently but I feel lik ethe main character in the world like in a story >.<
I think that's why I interrupt people because other people aren't the main character. I don't think I'm more important than other persons, but I really don't know >.< feels pretty weird when I think about it.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 11:34 am

You know, it's funny - I was just talking to my son about a social interaction at school and he mentioned kids "who are kind of like extras in a movie," meaning the ones outside his circle of attention. I think your experience isn't unusual.

I think there's a degree to which NTs think this way as well (otherwise, why would movies have main characters, after all?) but when you add the spectrum on top of it, this feeling gets heightened.

I told my son that I'd noticed this in myself, too - and so I make a point to notice the "extras." I make sure to personally thank people like janitors, waitresses, etc - because they aren't extras in their own movie. I try to learn people's names (which is really hard for me) and be polite to them whenever it's appropriate. This doesn't mean I try to be friends with everybody (though some friendships have resulted) but it does mean that I try harder to think about other people as people.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 11:58 am

I think a lot of people feel like the main character in the story of their life; hopefully they are also aware that everybody else is starring in a movie of their own, too. Feeling like you are a supporting character in someone else's story is a sign of low self-esteem.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 2:12 pm

When unimportant characters irk me, I command my rats to eat them.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 2:39 pm

:lol:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 2:47 pm

I have always felt like the main character of my own life story. This translates over to my imaginary world, where I am the central character. I view other people in my life as being heroes or villains, which also translates over to my imaginary world.

For example, one of my sisters is very self-centered, childish, manipulative and can be downright cruel at times, so she is naturally a villain. My other sister, however, treats me (and everyone really) very kindly, has a sweet disposition, and is very classy, so she in my eyes is much like a fairytale princess and one of the heroes. (So I guess it wouldn't be too out of place to suggest that my sisters resemble the Red and White Queens from my favorite Tim Burton production then...)

In my mind, I view my parents as being the epitome of all that is good with the world, so in my imaginary world, they are saint-like figures who are revered by other characters on an almost mythological level. On the other hand, there have been a few select people in my life (such as my mom's parents) whose words and actions have been so despicable that not only do I label them as villains, but I envision them as grotesque demonic abominations who are beyond redemption.

However, I do realize that other people view themselves as the main characters of their own life stories. So I often worry about how they see me in their internal worlds. I have several good qualities, but I also have several bad ones. So do they see me as one of the heroes, an ally and a friend with admirable qualities? Or am I, the hero of my own story, a villain in theirs? Or am I just a background character, easily forgotten and disposable? I suppose it depends on which qualities of mine they focus on, how well they understand my intentions and the way my mind works, and how big of a priority I am in their daily lives.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 1:54 am

Me too it is interesting

Nick88
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2011, 3:37 pm

When i go out into the world i call myself footballers names , Andy Carrol , Michael Owen , Lionel Messi. I do this to make me feel more important.

Samarda
Raven
Raven

11 Oct 2011, 8:08 am

Could be depersonalization disorder

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 8:48 am

I feel the opposite, like I'm just a small part of a big world. I'm not a hero or a leader. How can I make a difference when I'm struggling to get through my everyday life?

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 2:12 pm

Part of being autistic is having your own inner world. It's really hard to let other people in that world, especially when there is difficulty in understanding social behaviors. I think feeling that way is normal for a lot of aspies.

Hyram_Inesh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2011, 2:15 pm

sometimes I do, other times I feel like I'm the first person killed in a horror film

d510g1c
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Oct 2011, 8:26 pm

i know this sounds kinda weird but when i was 6/7 years old i completely convinced myself i was the only human being on earth, everyone else were robots who only acted like ppl when i could see them. crazy...i know!

an ASPIE

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

16 Oct 2011, 10:48 am

I almost never think of myself as the main character. I usually think of myself as part of a party consisting of six or seven others, sort of like a role-playing game. Everyone has a skill that assists others. The others in my party are who I remember being nice to me during my school years.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 5:24 pm

I think this is normal for pretty much everyone. I've never met anyone yet who doesn't think of themselves first and everyone else second. Generally I find people think about everyone else as being like them, but different, and get rather startled when they think or act in a different way.

In reality, the most important person in the world is my cat. If she could talk, she would point out the way everything is designed for her - the cat flap, the soft comfy sofas and beds, the human servants and their endless supply of food, the vet that makes her better when she's ill, the wonderful mouse and bird hunting opportunities, the private garden for her to play in... I could mention some of the things that have nothing to do with her, but she'd merely dismiss them as irrelevant.

emptymindless
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jan 2012, 10:23 pm

well i think everyones like that, i think its time as you get older you see more objectively.
man, i used to think that i was a god, it was fun while it lasted, then things turned plain and boring,
then fun again by experiencing life the right way.