Personality Tests - Discrimination against the nuerodiverse

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you think application personality tests are discriminatory?
Yes 94%  94%  [ 84 ]
No 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 89

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 4:03 pm

how exactly are you supposed to answer "do you think politicians lie?"? I mean really, what the hell kinda BS question is that?

I get the feeling that they are looking for brain dead morons who will be happy with the menial labor and working poor pay that are part of the job.

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2011, 3:15 am

Unfortunately, these types of tests are quite slanted, and as an Aspie you need to know how to answer the questions to fit what they are looking for. This can often be difficult to do, given many Aspie's have a strong honesty streak and find answering differently than they really feel not an option. Still, we sometimes need to play the game just to get the job…

BeenUnicrued
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2011, 6:02 pm

Visit workers and employers against unicru on facebook.

Also sign the petition to ban this discriminatory company! Search petition to ban unicru

We need to end this discrimination once and for all!

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2011, 8:40 am

I failed one at taco-bell when I was 16 first looking for work. "sorry I just don't think you would fit in here"... lol

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2012, 1:12 pm

I took a look at that Unicru personality test. Clearly its highly stacked against aspies. You would have to learn how to game the test to pass it.

All this stuff is just my option.
I studied Socionics about a decade ago, it's much like Myers Briggs, basically it looks like they are looking for an ESFJ, that's a typical outgoing neurotypical like the Ned Flanders character below, they are especially common in women.
I think the premise of the test is to find how anESFJ would answer the questions. Most aspies would test out INTJ almost dead opposite of that.

You could use Socionics personality theory to reverse engineer the test. With that it would make it easy to adapt to any test changes and maybe find some easy cheats to pass.
Model A as it is called. http://www.socionika.com/model.html
And this youtube part 1 and 2 more details on the model.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_6WaMHfDME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf9J4Ruz8Vs

I started working on it but ran out of time
http://socionika.com/UT.html

Adventus
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2012, 1:59 pm

The only answers that get counted towards your "score" are Strongly Agree or Strongly Disagree. So if you answer anything else you will "fail". This is from a lady at a temp agency.

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2012, 2:52 pm

Adventus wrote:
The only answers that get counted towards your "score" are Strongly Agree or Strongly Disagree. So if you answer anything else you will "fail". This is from a lady at a temp agency.

That would make sense

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2012, 3:09 pm

I am quite familiar with the theory behind these personality test and now realizing it is being widely used by many employers explains the bizarre things I have noticed over the last several years.

I have seen it in retail stores and other online help things.
By having a uniform non neurodiverse workforce, the compliant sheep variety, the employer feels they have gained a trouble free workforce. But there is a strange side to this, the workforce is completely incapable of solving any problems alone or together, calling them dumber than a pile of rocks would be an accurate statement. It is very frustrating if you have to deal with them, it becomes clear it is truly an exercise in futility. It is my opinion this has a kind of degenerative rotting effect for the employer. It has that dirt poor third world feel.

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2012, 7:33 pm

swbluto wrote:
Chronos wrote:
The only people who pass them are sociopaths, liars

You mean NTs?

Designed by NTs for NTs, I say. :lol:

That made me literally laugh out loud. :D

WhoKnowsWhy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2012, 10:07 pm

I've tried to give employers the answers that I think they want, but I still fail them :(

Silverwing94
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Nov 2017, 3:09 pm

Whenever employers ask you to fill out an application, they want the truth. These tests are discriminatory. I find it difficult most of the 'personality tests' presented to us because they want to know the real you without any personality itself, not the image they expect you to have. :evil:

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2017, 9:52 pm

I think I misunderstood the question, as I assumed it was talking about Meyer-Briggs type tests--which are stupid but not really discriminatory. I wasn't aware that personality tests were part of the hiring process and not just inane "team building" activities. 8O But yeah, the world is definitely geared towards extroverts--even NT introverts don't get the same level of acceptance as extroverted NTs.

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 9:23 pm

ictus75 wrote:
Unfortunately, these types of tests are quite slanted, and as an Aspie you need to know how to answer the questions to fit what they are looking for. This can often be difficult to do, given many Aspie's have a strong honesty streak and find answering differently than they really feel not an option. Still, we sometimes need to play the game just to get the job…

If this is the level I have to sink to in order to "get the job", then I would rather not work for such a company. Any idiot with half a brain can clearly see that these tests are specifically designed to weed us out, to discriminate in favour of morons who like to waste the company's time engaging in office politics and gossip, and all for the sake of being a "team player" and "fitting in".
I have only ever been confronted with one example of such a test (in Australia they are still relatively unknown), and I knew what the "correct" answers to the questions were, even though the meaningless disclaimer told me there were "no correct answers to the test" (yeah, right). Of course there are correct answers, ones that they want you to give. I still gave honest answers to the questions though, because I simply do not accept the belief that so many employers seem to have about us that, because of our lack of social skills, we aren't fit to work. It's called "work" for a very good reason - we are there to do a job. What else?!

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 9:29 pm

WhoKnowsWhy wrote:
I've tried to give employers the answers that I think they want, but I still fail them :(

Don't bother trying to pretend to be someone you are not. If, by some miracle, you managed to tell them what they wanted to hear and ended up being employed by them, you would very quickly become miserable due to the very nature of extrovert-NT workplaces where everyone jokes around, gossips, and generally behaves like a baboon. I've had so many jobs like that, and in the end I came to the realisation that I would rather be poor, hungry and unemployed than have to put up with that kind of s**t.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 9:43 pm

Bloody hell, some of the questions/statements on that silly Unicru personality test:

* Any trouble you have is your own fault. The "correct" answer is strongly agree, but no, I don't agree.
* When your friends need help, they call you first. I don't have any friends, but again, the way to answer this is to "strongly agree".
* You are somewhat of a thrill-seeker. How the hell is this even relevant?
* You chat with people you don't know. Why on Earth would I do a thing like that? What purpose would it serve? It's creepy when someone (ex. in a queue) just starts chatting to me. I just want them to stop, and leave me the hell alone! THAT is the normal response to what is, quite frankly, weird behaviour.
* You have no big regrets about your life. Only a sociopath or psychopath could answer this one with an honest 'strongly agree'.

Ugh! The people responsible for junk like this are insane. Tests like these are nothing more than examples of pop psychology at its very worst.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 9:48 pm

Yes! I wanted to work at Petco once because I love animals and actually have some experience working with them, but I failed their "online assessment" so they wouldn't even interview me and give me a chance. Same happened with Petsmart. I don't understand how people do them and manage to get hired.