Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

26 Oct 2011, 10:27 pm

Thanks to all who responded! I'm eager to hear more insights or opinions! :D

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 11:05 pm

I had a Roomba robot vacuum, I loved it. But I would not want some "I, Robot" type thing in my house though.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 6:02 am

A cute female robot might be interesting, preferably the pleasure model

AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan

27 Oct 2011, 7:45 am

I love robots. Fascinating stuff. Not the Transformers or Terminator type, but humanoids and little smart droids. Issac Asimov is my favorite writer.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 11:54 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjAoBKagWQA[/youtube]

:heart:

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 11:57 am

I always wanted to be the Steve Jobs of robots and artificial intelligence :P i just want a robot as my friend, for example if someone would kill a human speaking robot i would be more sad then a human speaking human.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 9:42 pm

I am ready to shoot on sight robots that look too human.

AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan

29 Oct 2011, 2:53 pm

shrox wrote:
I had a Roomba robot vacuum, I loved it. But I would not want some "I, Robot" type thing in my house though.

I'd welcome a perfectly humanoid female bot that comes with a remote control and small storage closet. Only "on" when needed. Oh, and she'd be super strong and know Kung-Fu and would kick the crap out of anyone annoying me :wink:

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 3:00 pm

Yes, which is why I'm considering going into mechanical engineering.

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2016, 3:30 pm

I went through a stage of wanting to become one when I was younger. Actually, I still quite like the idea. My brother was really interested in a robotics career and kept threatening to 'experiment' on me. I was perfectly happy with that. I would rather upgrade my body when I hit 60/70 instead of watching my limbs wither away and and become useless. My family tend to live a long time without any dementure or similar 'brain' illnesses, and the thought of living to 100 all alone and being stuck at home in a frail and useless human body scares me a bit. Society also judges people on appearance and youth and having a stronger non-biological body and perpetually younger appearance (yeah, I would go for an AI Jane look) would be amazing!

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 4:27 pm

I'm interested in robots and their capabilities, and objectively I like the idea of having them around.

But honestly, every robot I've met (including things that I believed to be robots, which actually weren't) has terrified me. I get very scared of the idea of them going out of control - as a child it was this idea of them simply being out of control, and as an adult it became a little more linked with my fear of fire and the possibility that an out of control robot might also be a fire hazard.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 5:23 pm

No, I hate robots. They're slowly taking over everything, and lots of jobs these days are becoming replaced by robots (machines). I even heard that cars and buses will be ''self-driven'' in the distant future, meaning many bus and taxi-drivers will lose their jobs and be replaced by a robot.

Society is becoming so carried away with inventing all this new fancy technology and thinking how great it is, that we are forgetting that the purpose of most jobs is for people to earn a living, not for a pile of wires and circuits to slave society.

In years to come the only people who will be in jobs will be the mechanics to repair these fantastic pieces of technology when they go wrong - until they then invent robots to repair the robots, then invent more robots to repair the robots that repair the robots.

Scary.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 8:34 pm

Optimums Prime? Yes! Real life robots? Not so much.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 10:13 pm

Joe90 wrote:
No, I hate robots. They're slowly taking over everything, and lots of jobs these days are becoming replaced by robots (machines). I even heard that cars and buses will be ''self-driven'' in the distant future, meaning many bus and taxi-drivers will lose their jobs and be replaced by a robot.

Society is becoming so carried away with inventing all this new fancy technology and thinking how great it is, that we are forgetting that the purpose of most jobs is for people to earn a living, not for a pile of wires and circuits to slave society.

In years to come the only people who will be in jobs will be the mechanics to repair these fantastic pieces of technology when they go wrong - until they then invent robots to repair the robots, then invent more robots to repair the robots that repair the robots.

Scary.

I agree it's really scary. Most people are probably going to be unemployed and homeless in the future because of this. It might even be worse for autistics because we usually don't have very good social skills.

When I was little I use to be really afraid of the robots that looked like humans, but I liked the one from the movie Short Circuit.