Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 4:53 pm

I went to a sci fi convention fairly recently and made a few new connections by adding them to Facebook and touching base. I had happened to meet one of these people once and I got along with them. This individual contacted me this evening and happened to be upset that I was ignoring him on FB which I have not meant to. I told him not to take it so personally since I have my own life and that we only met him once.

I was wondering when would it be the most appropriate time for someone to ask whether and why you are being ignored?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 5:14 pm

Perhaps he wants to get laid?

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 5:32 pm

I have thought about him being annoyed about that and I am sorry. I thought he was more interested in contacting me on a meet new connections level and communicate back and forth. However, I never thought he was going to take it to this level and act as if I were some girl who he wanted to have as a girlfriend. I had also tried to explain to him that we had only met once and didn't think anything of it.

1) He appeared to be in his late 40's, early 50's
2) I have my own life and I never thought about contacting him because I have been busy with my own life with work, school and other things and I didn't mean to hurt him.

What does anyone else have to say about this situation?

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 9:00 am

By the way, this is not about dating, it's about making connections with people and them getting upset if you don't contact them according to their standards.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 4:03 pm

People react differently, and some people are clingier than others. It's also possible this person puts way more importance on meeting you than you have on meeting this person.

In general, I try to do what makes sense for me. Especially with strangers or almost-strangers, I don't usually have enough information to know what their preferences are. In a non-formal setting (e.g. not business, not any sort of professional networking), I at least am unaware of any specific rules.