Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MountZion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2011, 11:16 am

2nd thread for the day........

Well, I have heard a lot of definitions about the Alpha Male recently that I don't perceive to be correct. I have met and known Alpha Males (or men with Alpha-like qualities) and having observed their behaviours and how people respond to them, I believe I have nailed down what an Alpha Man actually is.

The preconceived notion of what the Alpha Man is, has been described as an overly aggressive, obnoxious and arrogant man who brags and bosses people like he runs tings. He is stereotypically loud and inflexible to situations and people, and has to be above everyone in terms of physique and intellect. This man is not an Alpha Man. He isn't as attractive to women as people perceive, he just happens to have enough masculine traits to get him by, but usually his relationships don't last, and he doesn't always have people's respect, only their fear.

He's what I call an angry Beta. He doesn't have the qualities of an Alpha Man, and in truth, he doesn't have to as there is nothing wrong with being a "Beta" male IMO (as long as they can cultivate the ability to attract a woman). However, he wants to be an Alpha, and is jealous of them, so he tries to assert his dominance & masculinity instead of assuming it naturally.

The Alpha Man is different. Yes, he is confident, and assertive, but never at the expense of others. On the contrary, this is a man who has no enemies, makes friends with everyone he knows, understands and loves himself, and as a result, has better understanding and relationships with his peers and the women in his life. He always strives for better, not just for himself, but for others around him. He is usually more kind than most and generous with his time and his knowledge, and while still managing to put himself and his needs first, always finds time for other people.

He doesn't tolerate disrespect and has boundaries, knows what he wants to do, what he likes, and cultivates his own reality and his own character. That is what an Alpha man is to me.

What is your view of what an Alpha Man is????

:!:

maquaii
Raven
Raven

26 Sep 2011, 11:27 am

Leroy Gibbs

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 11:38 am

So human alphas are Jesus?
You know that alphas in mammals are usually far from nice and friendly.

Were hitler and napoleon friendly and nice?

DeanAdamFry
Toucan
Toucan

26 Sep 2011, 11:51 am

MountZion wrote:

Well, I have heard a lot of definitions about the Alpha Male recently that I don't perceive to be correct. I have met and known Alpha Males (or men with Alpha-like qualities) and having observed their behaviours and how people respond to them, I believe I have nailed down what an Alpha Man actually is.

The preconceived notion of what the Alpha Man is, has been described as an overly aggressive, obnoxious and arrogant man who brags and bosses people like he runs tings. He is stereotypically loud and inflexible to situations and people, and has to be above everyone in terms of physique and intellect. This man is not an Alpha Man. He isn't as attractive to women as people perceive, he just happens to have enough masculine traits to get him by, but usually his relationships don't last, and he doesn't always have people's respect, only their fear.

He's what I call an angry Beta. He doesn't have the qualities of an Alpha Man, and in truth, he doesn't have to as there is nothing wrong with being a "Beta" male IMO (as long as they can cultivate the ability to attract a woman). However, he wants to be an Alpha, and is jealous of them, so he tries to assert his dominance & masculinity instead of assuming it naturally.

The Alpha Man is different. Yes, he is confident, and assertive, but never at the expense of others. On the contrary, this is a man who has no enemies, makes friends with everyone he knows, understands and loves himself, and as a result, has better understanding and relationships with his peers and the women in his life. He always strives for better, not just for himself, but for others around him. He is usually more kind than most and generous with his time and his knowledge, and while still managing to put himself and his needs first, always finds time for other people.

He doesn't tolerate disrespect and has boundaries, knows what he wants to do, what he likes, and cultivates his own reality and his own character. That is what an Alpha man is to me.

Your description of an Alpha Male sounds a lot like me except I don't like my hips/stomach (but they are starting to shrink now so I will be back in complete confidence with my body) and I do have enemies XD But who doesn't have enemies? Honestly if I met a man who had no enemies, I would punch him so he had one.

Everyone needs an enemy hell even Elvis Presley had enemies, he was a bloody angel who just gave and gave to the world but he still had Christians and all that lot on his back because they thought he was the son of the devil, a person who has no enemies is a man that has never stood up for something in his life and that is the truth.

Trust me you will know the difference between an wanna-be Alpha Male (you know those dickheads/wankers who give it the biggen) and a real Alpha Male.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 11:51 am

Sounds like someone out of a beer commercial.

I think there are a range of people who pass for alpha males types. They have some significant % of the standard traits but probably don't have them all. But it's enough to pass for alpha male in most settings.

Ive known alpha male types that I admired and got along well with and others that seemed so focused on the pursuit of women that they didn't have much time for anything else. They glided along like bees to the hive. And then there are the louder, cruder and meaner types that pass for that in certain places.

And of course your position in a given social circle is relative. Alpha males can trump each other. Even Ive played one before when none of the usual suspects showed up. But I don't use the term alpha male. I have my own terms.

MountZion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2011, 12:06 pm

DeanAdamFry wrote:
MountZion wrote:

Your description of an Alpha Male sounds a lot like me except I don't like my hips/stomach (but they are starting to shrink now so I will be back in complete confidence with my body) and I do have enemies XD But who doesn't have enemies? Honestly if I met a man who had no enemies, I would punch him so he had one.

Everyone needs an enemy hell even Elvis Presley had enemies, he was a bloody angel who just gave and gave to the world but he still had Christians and all that lot on his back because they thought he was the son of the devil, a person who has no enemies is a man that has never stood up for something in his life and that is the truth.

Trust me you will know the difference between an wanna-be Alpha Male (you know those dickheads/wankers who give it the biggen) and a real Alpha Male.

No enemies, just rivals :D

I understand what you're saying Boo, and yes they did exhibit the ability to influence a lot of people. I just don't see people like that as Alpha's. They just have a lot of charisma IMO.

DeanAdamFry
Toucan
Toucan

26 Sep 2011, 12:09 pm

MountZion wrote:
DeanAdamFry wrote:
MountZion wrote:

I understand what you're saying Boo, and yes they did exhibit the ability to influence a lot of people. I just don't see people like that as Alpha's. They just have a lot of charisma IMO.

You do understand the definition of rival don't you? because if you did, you wouldn't of used it right now.

MountZion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2011, 12:17 pm

DeanAdamFry wrote:
MountZion wrote:
DeanAdamFry wrote:
MountZion wrote:

You do understand the definition of rival don't you? because if you did, you wouldn't of used it right now.

:lol: I'm not explaining myself well.

OK, I'll backtrack a little and say that it is healthy to have enemies and rivals/opponents. Just as long as you are not trying to kill them :lol:

Neotokyomushroom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2011, 12:22 pm

I had a good weekend. :)

The alpha male concept? I was called a nerd.

I laughed it off and admitted it.

I was still the nerd I am, but it didn't matter.

Alpha male is an overthought concept. just be who who you are. If you laugh at the odd concepts of your character so will others. No, I didn't get a relationship, as usual, but I was seen as hot. I cannot explain it better than 'own who you are'.

Just go out there and be you without apologies. If you're a good guy, just go out and be you. If not, go out and be you anyway. You willl attract people on the same wavelength.

The textbook alpha male is a fictional contraption, fake confidence. I learned about confidence from a post I made a couple of weeks ago. Just put it on the line. I was clueless and still pretty much am. One simple word: "hi".

Edit: however I am 'active but odd', results may vary.

seoulgamer
Raven
Raven

26 Sep 2011, 1:13 pm

MountZion wrote:

I think the reason the reason the mentioned "angry man" concept of Alpha exists is because many men aren't self-assured and confident in themselves, and try to justify it by buying into the belief that those who do have such inner strength are just arrogant. It's a hard pill to swallow, reading the description of the "true Alpha" because becoming a person like that means letting go of one's insecurities and really pushing oneself to better themselves, to think in terms of responsibilities rather than what they can't do, and to genuinely put others first rather than always seeking someone to help them feel better.

MountZion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2011, 1:20 pm

seoulgamer wrote:
MountZion wrote:

I think the reason the reason the mentioned "angry man" concept of Alpha exists is because many men aren't self-assured and confident in themselves, and try to justify it by buying into the belief that those who do have such inner strength are just arrogant. It's a hard pill to swallow, reading the description of the "true Alpha" because becoming a person like that means letting go of one's insecurities and really pushing oneself to better themselves, to think in terms of responsibilities rather than what they can't do, and to genuinely put others first rather than always seeking someone to help them feel better.

Perfect post :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 2:28 pm

According to the California Psychological Inventory, the four Personality Types are defined as:

Alpha Types

- Alphas invest themselves in the shared, interpersonal world, and in adherence to norms.
- Alphas are doers, people who carry out the sanctioned mandates of the culture.
- They are ambitious, assertive, enterprising, and outgoing.
- At their best, they can be charismatic leaders and instigators of constructive social action.
- At their worst, they can be self-centered, opportunistic, defensive, and manipulative.

Beta Types

- Betas center their interests internally, and on the acceptance of norms and precepts.
- They are the preservers of values, sources of wisdom, and the nurturers and restorers of tradition.
- They are steady, cautious, moderate, and conventional.
- At their best, they can be inspirational models of goodness and insight.
- At their worst, they can be conformist, constricted, fearful, and anergic ("Lacking in energy; Inactive").

Gamma Types

- Gammas are externally oriented, but make their decisions on personal values.
- Gammas are the doubters, the skeptics, who strive to change the status quo.
- They are adventurous, clever, headstrong, and progressive.
- At their best, they are innovative, insightful, and creative.
- At their worst, they are rebellious, intolerant, self-indulgent, and disruptive.

Delta Types

- Deltas are focused on their own internal and personal value systems.
- Deltas are reflective, sensitive idiosyncratic, preoccupied, quiet, reserved, and detached.
- At their best, they are ideationally and imaginatively creative, esthetically perceptive, and visionary.
- At their worst, they are fragmented, self-defeating, withdrawn, and prone to decompensation.

How do these official definitions correlate with the preceding subjective opinions?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 2:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
According to the California Psychological Inventory, the four Personality Types are defined as:

Alpha Types

- Alphas invest themselves in the shared, interpersonal world, and in adherence to norms.
- Alphas are doers, people who carry out the sanctioned mandates of the culture.
- They are ambitious, assertive, enterprising, and outgoing.
- At their best, they can be charismatic leaders and instigators of constructive social action.
- At their worst, they can be self-centered, opportunistic, defensive, and manipulative.

Beta Types

- Betas center their interests internally, and on the acceptance of norms and precepts.
- They are the preservers of values, sources of wisdom, and the nurturers and restorers of tradition.
- They are steady, cautious, moderate, and conventional.
- At their best, they can be inspirational models of goodness and insight.
- At their worst, they can be conformist, constricted, fearful, and anergic ("Lacking in energy; Inactive").

Gamma Types

- Gammas are externally oriented, but make their decisions on personal values.
- Gammas are the doubters, the skeptics, who strive to change the status quo.
- They are adventurous, clever, headstrong, and progressive.
- At their best, they are innovative, insightful, and creative.
- At their worst, they are rebellious, intolerant, self-indulgent, and disruptive.

Delta Types

- Deltas are focused on their own internal and personal value systems.
- Deltas are reflective, sensitive idiosyncratic, preoccupied, quiet, reserved, and detached.
- At their best, they are ideationally and imaginatively creative, esthetically perceptive, and visionary.
- At their worst, they are fragmented, self-defeating, withdrawn, and prone to decompensation.

How do these official definitions correlate with the preceding subjective opinions?

I am a mix of little Beta and Gamma according to this, but I am more Gamma and radioactive.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 3:16 pm

do people actually use these terms in real life? :scratch:

DeanAdamFry
Toucan
Toucan

26 Sep 2011, 3:27 pm

emlion wrote:
do people actually use these terms in real life? :scratch:

I don't think so, I haven't heard anyone in my life say any of this.

MountZion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2011, 3:35 pm

I see it as a form of mental masturbating, something which I like to do a lot :lol: . I hear it talked about on the internet, so I often attempt to formulate a discussion about it. The truth is, it is so easy to assume character types as a human and literally embed traits on top of our core attributes that these labels really are futile.

I just like talking about the concept because everyone who has an opinion on it has a different take.