Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MountZion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2011, 3:35 pm

I see it as a form of mental masturbating, something which I like to do a lot :lol: . I hear it talked about on the internet, so I often attempt to formulate a discussion about it. The truth is, it is so easy to assume character types as a human and literally embed traits on top of our core attributes that these labels really are futile.

I just like talking about the concept because everyone who has an opinion on it has a different take.

Neotokyomushroom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2011, 3:36 pm

Nice one. :D

I reckon I'm a Gamma at their worst. Wouldn't mind taking the test although I'd probably end up as different to my wish. :x

Whatever I am does okay in bars at the moment though. :wink:

MountZion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2011, 4:19 pm

Neotokyomushroom wrote:
Nice one. :D

I reckon I'm a Gamma at their worst. Wouldn't mind taking the test although I'd probably end up as different to my wish. :x

Whatever I am does okay in bars at the moment though. :wink:

I can tell you've just started Uni :lol:

I was like that when I was a fresher, I was powered up, I had a massive social circle of friends, and even a couple of admirers. Then I dropped out :cry:

Ever since then, my social life fell to pieces.......but I'm going back to study in January hopefully, while I can maintain and build upon something of a music career.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 4:25 pm

The Alpha male is the leader of the pack he is the strongest all the pack he has authority over.

The others and is a leader I do not fall under any of these because I would rather be a soldier.

Then a leader because I am much better at taking orders then giving them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 4:34 pm

Some of the HR people I know toss these terms around in such a way that it sounds like a catechism.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 4:42 pm

Alvin the chipmunk was a true Alpha.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 4:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
Some of the HR people I know toss these terms around in such a way that it sounds like a catechism.

I agree with this statement 8)

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 6:28 pm

There is a lot of speculation about alpha males but I really dont care. Whatever an alpha male is, I dont want one. Im not an alpha female so why would I want an alpha male?

Taking a break.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 6:31 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Fnord wrote:
According to the California Psychological Inventory, the four Personality Types are defined as:

Alpha Types

- Alphas invest themselves in the shared, interpersonal world, and in adherence to norms.
- Alphas are doers, people who carry out the sanctioned mandates of the culture.
- They are ambitious, assertive, enterprising, and outgoing.
- At their best, they can be charismatic leaders and instigators of constructive social action.
- At their worst, they can be self-centered, opportunistic, defensive, and manipulative.

Beta Types

- Betas center their interests internally, and on the acceptance of norms and precepts.
- They are the preservers of values, sources of wisdom, and the nurturers and restorers of tradition.
- They are steady, cautious, moderate, and conventional.
- At their best, they can be inspirational models of goodness and insight.
- At their worst, they can be conformist, constricted, fearful, and anergic ("Lacking in energy; Inactive").

Gamma Types

- Gammas are externally oriented, but make their decisions on personal values.
- Gammas are the doubters, the skeptics, who strive to change the status quo.
- They are adventurous, clever, headstrong, and progressive.
- At their best, they are innovative, insightful, and creative.
- At their worst, they are rebellious, intolerant, self-indulgent, and disruptive.

Delta Types

- Deltas are focused on their own internal and personal value systems.
- Deltas are reflective, sensitive idiosyncratic, preoccupied, quiet, reserved, and detached.
- At their best, they are ideationally and imaginatively creative, esthetically perceptive, and visionary.
- At their worst, they are fragmented, self-defeating, withdrawn, and prone to decompensation.

How do these official definitions correlate with the preceding subjective opinions?

I am a mix of little Beta and Gamma according to this, but I am more Gamma and radioactive.

I am made of coal, and emit far red radiation.

Taking a break.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 7:08 pm

In terms of our closest relatives, the chimpanzees, "alpha males" demonstrate a variety of leadership styles. Some are brutish, some are not. And it is not at all uncommon for violent, overly aggressive males to get the boot. Male chimps rely mostly on social alliances to achieve and maintain power because single male chimps are not physically strong enough to keep their positions by force alone.

With our other closest relatives, bonobos, it doesn't matter because females are the dominant ones, and dominance passes from mother to son.

Going down a rung, various monkey species display multiple dominance styles ranging from the proactive and aggressive to the laid-back and tolerant.

The idea that "alpha male = a$$hole" is largely a stereotype gleaned from 80s teen flicks.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 7:40 pm

Back in my Wall Street days, I used to work with lots of stereotypical "Alpha-Males" and found most of them to actually be pretty cool and surprisingly morally decent overall. The real as*holes were actually "Betas" trying to be Alphas - usually some black sheep from an old money family that got in through connections.

I really can't describe where I fit in to the heirarchy. I was generally treated well and respected for my expertise even though I wasn't a "warrior" - kind of like a witchdoctor/shaman is in some tribal societies I suppose.

That still didn't keep me from being called "Rain Man" though... :roll:

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 7:51 pm

Grisha wrote:
Back in my Wall Street days, I used to work with lots of stereotypical "Alpha-Males" and found most of them to actually be pretty cool and surprisingly morally decent overall. The real as*holes were actually "Betas" trying to be Alphas - usually some black sheep from an old money family that got in through connections.

I really can't describe where I fit in to the heirarchy. I was generally treated well and respected for my expertise even though I wasn't a "warrior" - kind of like a witchdoctor/shaman is in some tribal societies I suppose.

That still didn't keep me from being called "Rain Man" though... :roll:

Exactly. I agree. Among canines, the most violence occurs at the "beta" level.

And, judging from your posts, I'd say that you're just a cool person. 8)

Good luck with everything.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 8:00 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Exactly. I agree. Among canines, the most violence occurs at the "beta" level.

The worst part about these guys was the fact that the very fact of my existence seemed to infuriate them, and I while the other guys were taking notes during the "morning call" they'd be sitting back with their arms crossed with an obnoxious smirk on their face. Ugh.

XFilesGeek wrote:
And, judging from your posts, I'd say that you're just a cool person. 8)

Thanks! :)

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 9:54 pm

According to the definitions posted on the previous page, I'd say I'm closest to a female Alpha/Beta cross. But obviously it's pretty much impossible to classify an individual according to such a simplified grouping and limited set of traits.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 10:52 am

So apparently I am a gamma/delta cross. Good to know.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 11:39 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
So apparently I am a gamma/delta cross. Good to know.

That's pretty much how I'd describe myself as well.

I wonder if the greek-letter nomenclature is intended to imply a heirarchy though - I'd be really interested in hearing how they support the relative superiority/inferiority of the 4 basic types if so.