Do you know how 'neurotypicals' think?

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

young_god
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2011, 7:51 am

Does that mean that I should stop winking at women when I walk into a bar?

8O

I am joking of course.

:wink:

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 7:58 am

peterd wrote:
What I suspect - and evidence seems to support it - is that neurotypicals are enmeshed in a world where facial twitches and subtle signals shape their world. All that is pre-conscious, at least for the majority of them, and so it seems that that's the way it's meant to be. When an individual comes along who doesn't merge into that pre-conscious flow, they're (that's us, folks) treated with suspicion. Trust doesn't form, and neither does relationship.

This is why I recommend finding smart girls with borderline personality disorder. They learned not to trust their pre-conscious instincts, from being raped or whatever, and worked out their own way of trusting people. NTs can't spot them (or psychopaths) so they're a good way in to society.

young_god
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2011, 8:17 am

What you said makes no sense to me, care to expound on your theory?

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 8:21 am

Me? Which part? About bpd girls or oxytocin?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 8:41 am

Verdandi wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
TheWingman wrote:
There are no such people as Neurotypical. This word as just been invented by aspies to make them feel beter. Each brain has 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 connections, there are different in each brain, each brain is unique, none is typical.

Agreed.

While this is technically true, "neurotypical" refers to a statistical "norm". For example, IQ scores ranging from 85-115 are typical, within the standard deviation. No individual person has an IQ of 85-115, however. They have 86 or 92 or 112, and they're "typical."

Neurotypical is the same way, except it refers to a set of neurologies that cluster around a common center, within that standard deviation for typical. Everyone who falls into this category has a different, unique brain that falls into the "neurotypical" range.

So no single brain can possibly represent "neurotypical" but as a group, that's what you have.

I agree with this too.

limau
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2011, 8:55 am

we will never know how neurotypicals think, and your fellow aspie for that matter, in fact, aspies think in many different ways as seen by the various answers here; and there are many types of Aspies.

Few seem to agree on a single point of view, unless that is pure logic.

Anyway, nts do not think different, they are different. I believe the entire package and wiring not just in the brain, but the nerves through the entire body.

By the outcomes of relationships, the number of friends we have, and people whom we are close to. In whatever form of aspie we are, it seems we are lonely - and hence maybe supporters of Liverpool F.C. :wink: just another guess.

In this world, where there are a billion people and marriages, it is logical indeed that it should not be that difficult to form a relationship/ make friends etc.

Many/some of you will ask what makes me think what i say is true, disagree with what i say etc. Yes we are all different; we all grow up different.

To me the defining trait of an aspie is the inability to form close relationship with someone, even if we think we did. Surprisingly, neurotypicals who have very high EQ they are able to be our friends.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 9:17 am

We should all get together and write a book about the ways that we as people on the spectrum view the world and get it published. We should have it put on the market for the public to see.

I've also posted a video that shows how I see the NT world in Random Discussion, yesterday morning. I see it as a very dark and spooky place that has changed a lot over the past 25 years. I see it as a place that's filled with sex, drugs and violence and that Autism Speaks would love to cattleprod us and put us in electric chairs. If you're not a buff male or a female popsicle stick, than forget it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 10:47 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
We should all get together and write a book about the ways that we as people on the spectrum view the world and get it published. We should have it put on the market for the public to see.

I've also posted a video that shows how I see the NT world in Random Discussion, yesterday morning. I see it as a very dark and spooky place that has changed a lot over the past 25 years. I see it as a place that's filled with sex, drugs and violence and that Autism Speaks would love to cattleprod us and put us in electric chairs. If you're not a buff male or a female popsicle stick, than forget it.

I'm still waiting for one person to make a serious comparison between the way autistic people differ in the way they view the world compared to the NT mind. So far the common theme is NT people are duplicitous, lie and cheat and autistic people don't.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Sep 2011, 10:49 pm

cyberdad wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

I'm still waiting for one person to make a serious comparison between the way autistic people differ in the way they view the world compared to the NT mind. So far the common theme is NT people are duplicitous, lie and cheat and autistic people don't.

Hey, did you read my post on the second page?

And if anywhere in that post I implied that NTs are duplicitous, lie, and cheat and autistic people don't, let me know so I can fix it. My intention was to simply explain as clearly as I could differences in perception and processing, not assign any moral or personality traits to either.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 11:48 pm

Got it...

Verdandi wrote:
This extends to other things, such as the ability to look at a photograph and infer thoughts, emotions, and even a social scenario/story from what they see, whereas I see precisely what's in that same photograph, and little more.

Based on my own perception and my daughters we both love to stare endlessly at pictures. As a child I recall spending many hours flicking through an encyclopaedia staring at the photographs. I was particularly fascinated by two things a) people's faces and pictures with incredible detail such as rainforests. I used to reproduce people's faces from photos in almost realistic dimensions as a 6-8 yr old. My daughter loves drawing animals from pictures.

Verdandi wrote:
This also extends to, say, giving nonhuman shapes/objects personalities or intentions. I don't really do it. There's a video that shows various shapes interacting that you watch and describe what you see with as many social elements as possible - and to me, I see very little (although the social descriptions I've read from others make sense).

Classic. My bother and I had a collection of objects which were given names and had a life of their own. We used to have multiple stories going on using a bull dog clip, box, stationary and various bits of hardware.

Verdandi wrote:
And I guess this relates to what people like to call theory of mind:

If this refers to the Baron-Cohen exercise re: hiding a ball in bag and the autistic person looks for it in the basket etc I am still in the dark as my daughter seems to have mastered this trick fairly early on.

Verdandi wrote:
I do care about what people think and feel, and if I know they need/want sympathy I can try to give it. It takes me time to work out what I should offer when I see it (I can tell when someone is crying, but I have to work out that crying = something made them cry = maybe they need a hug).

To be honest I am much like this and perhaps this is where I am clearly on the spectrum and not NT. I have been accused of this throughout my life.

Verdandi wrote:
I would mention something to my mother, and her response seemed to have no relation or bearing on what I said. When I said that the answer made no sense and could she explain what she means, she simply said "It shouldn't be confusing." Thanks, mom.

I just had a conversation today with my mother and it's like we are on different planes of thought. Speaking with my father is far more straight forward but he's exactly like me an undiagnosed Autie. My daughter's much purer in her thought process here. She will for instance talk about going to the shopping centre and turning right at the traffic lights. I'll acknowledge her statement then change subject and start talking about how she needs to keep room clean. She then ignores my conversation and refers back to the shopping centre making sure that we are still going? "turn right daddy" even though we are still a 2km away. It's like the conversation needs to be around the shopping centre and the drive there not about other topics. The focus appears to be one topic at a time. But then it stuck me - this is what I accuse my mother of doing, she jumps from one subject to another and sometimes has 3 conversations going in parallel. I honestly can't keep up.

Verdandi wrote:
Not all NTs think alike, but their brains and perceptions are generally wired in a similar fashion to each other, meaning that in various ways they can often relate to and understand each other, even though they all have different interests, preferences, loves, hates, politics, opinions, philosophies, religions, etc. They're diverse, but they have certain kinds of cognitive architecture that they use to function socially (among other things).

There are plenty of nuerdiverse individuals out there but yes, there seems to be four major divisions
Division 1 - NTs
1 - NTs
2- NTs with anxiety and mood disorders
3 - NTs with brain firing issues (i.e. schizophrenia or personality disorders)
4. NTs with ADHD

Division 2 - NTs with nuerodegenrative disease (Parkinsons, Alzheimers or MS)
Division 3 - Developmental disorders (PDD, Autism and Retts) with IQ > 70
Division 4 - Mental retardation where IQ<70

The NT group really should exclude Division 1 Point's 2, 3 or 4 and Divisions 2, 3 of 4. Anyway that's how I see it.

Verdandi wrote:
Long before I knew I was autistic, I found that there are things I'd say or opinions I'd express that other people didn't understand, and often other people would say things I didn't understand. I remember one problem I consistently run into is that I'll say something, others will respond to something that seems - to me - to have nothing to do with what I said, and I point out I said exactly, literally what I meant. Or to turn it around, and I take someone else literally, and they explain that I misunderstood (or, if they're just being jerks, calling me illiterate). One of my friends told me they'd thought I was on the spectrum for some time because I so frequently misunderstood their jokes and sarcasm.

I don't understand this one but I think that may be the point right?

Verdandi wrote:
However, all of the above aside? I think that autistic people and NTs have more in common than otherwise. It's how we perceive and express ourselves that often gets in the way. I mean, there are things that I don't really care about that many NTs do, and these are things in common with many other autistic people - but also some number of NTs (possibly more NTs in terms of raw numbers, but a lower overall percentage).

I think as we get older the gap that separates us becomes smaller, the margin will vary of course.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 11:49 pm

cyberdad: they see things as part of a group, not as individuals, and they assume you do too. I can write loads about this but I'm going to bed. Verdandi and peterd have covered a lot already.

It is entirely possible to gain a great deal of insight into NT thinking.

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2011, 11:50 pm

Wait... NTs think... OMG!

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 12:05 am

jinto1986 wrote:

Unless you were joking, that type of nonsense is exactly why we become known as rude, arrogant a***holes.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2011, 12:08 am

Of course I was joking, relax I do that a lot :).

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 12:13 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
jinto1986 wrote:

Unless you were joking, that type of nonsense is exactly why we become known as rude, arrogant a***holes.

Aren't we? Some call us f***tards too. :wink:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 1:10 am

jinto1986 wrote:
Of course I was joking, relax I do that a lot :).

That's why I put the "unless..." qualifier. :)

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I