Page 1 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 2:17 pm

He is a Mormon. (so prolly not too pro-gay)
He says stupid stuff ("Ann Coulter is a great American").
He is the front runner most of the time.
He does the best in most head to head polls against Obama.

So what gives why don't the dems attack him aren't they supoda hate all republicans?

I say it because Mormons are secret communists but what do you say?

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 2:41 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
He says stupid stuff ("Ann Coulter is a great American").
He is the front runner most of the time.
He does the best in most head to head polls against Obama.

So what gives why don't the dems attack him aren't they supoda hate all republicans?

I say it because Mormons are secret communists but what do you say?

I don't know anything about MItt Romney, but whenever they bring him up on talk radio, they say he's got some liberal ideology. Which probably just means he's not a rightwing extremist.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 2:49 pm

Because he's a moderate Republican, which makes in practice makes him as liberal as Obama.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 3:07 pm

He's smart, pragmatic, and has a record of putting results ahead of idealology. He also has never said anything that I remember strongly as making me shake my head feeling he is a complete fool, crazy, or dangerous. Mostly we're left with simply disagreeing, and I can respect that.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 3:32 pm

Liberals aren't seeing him as a preferable alternative to Obama. They're seeing him as a preferable alternative to Perry. And he is. If Obama loses, better he should lose to Romney than to Perry.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 3:39 pm

I like that teabaggers hate him. I like that he's got a record of incredible flip-flopping.. I like that he's not Rick Perry.

I'd still like him to lose.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 8:47 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:

Romney has no principles one way or the other. On social policy he is not going to move us much in any direction, unlike someone like Perry or Bachmann.

Quote:

There are two main reasons off the top of my head:
a) All the alternatives to Romney are certifiably insane (aside from the other Mormon, but Huntsman has zero chance). A large chance of having President Romney is far preferable to even the off chance of risking President Perry.
b) Romney isn't actually a conservative. He has no ideology. On the one hand this makes him a rather contemptible and sleazy character, and I don't see how anyone could vote for him without feeling the need to shower afterwards. On the other hand, it also means he is more likely to simply take the pragmatic middle route while seeing to governance, which is much better than what we can expect out of someone like Gingrich or Paul.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 4:30 am

Everyone's nailed it: Rick Perry, Michelle Bachmann, Rick Santorum, and the rest of the Republican gang is just so much further to the right.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 6:48 am

Orwell wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

Romney has no principles one way or the other. On social policy he is not going to move us much in any direction, unlike someone like Perry or Bachmann.

Quote:

There are two main reasons off the top of my head:
a) All the alternatives to Romney are certifiably insane (aside from the other Mormon, but Huntsman has zero chance). A large chance of having President Romney is far preferable to even the off chance of risking President Perry.
b) Romney isn't actually a conservative. He has no ideology. On the one hand this makes him a rather contemptible and sleazy character, and I don't see how anyone could vote for him without feeling the need to shower afterwards. On the other hand, it also means he is more likely to simply take the pragmatic middle route while seeing to governance, which is much better than what we can expect out of someone like Gingrich or Paul.

Oh, I think he did have a political philosophy at one time - he was a moderate Republican, who could get himself elected in a blue state. But because Republicans like him are now a thing of the past, much like dinosaurs and wooly mammoths, he's had to throw away everything he had believed in in order to satisfy the lunatic fringe of the Republican party. But because no one in the Republican party really believes that Romney has undergone such a dramatic transformation into a fellow right wing nutcase, even if he does get the nomination, I doubt that he'll win the general election, as he simply doesn't represent the Republican rank and file.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 10:39 am

Romney is as much a Big Government man as are the Liberals.

ruveyn

number5
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 11:12 am

I agree with the previous posts but also, for me, it's because I can't argue too much with his results. Massachusetts is near or at at the top of the list for both healthcare and education - two very important issues, IMO. When you contrast that with Parry's ("A" for America :wink: ) race to the bottom in Texas, it becomes a no-brainer.

But yes, he's still sleazy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 11:47 am

i can't disrespect how he tried to expand health care access for working-class mass. residents. it wasn't perfect but it still was a hell of a lot better than the big fat nothing the other repubs were/are offering in this respect.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 11:52 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Oh, I think he did have a political philosophy at one time - he was a moderate Republican, who could get himself elected in a blue state. But because Republicans like him are now a thing of the past, much like dinosaurs and wooly mammoths, he's had to throw away everything he had believed in in order to satisfy the lunatic fringe of the Republican party.

Shouldn't that be 'lunatic Republican party' not 'lunatic fringe'?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 1:07 pm

DC wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Oh, I think he did have a political philosophy at one time - he was a moderate Republican, who could get himself elected in a blue state. But because Republicans like him are now a thing of the past, much like dinosaurs and wooly mammoths, he's had to throw away everything he had believed in in order to satisfy the lunatic fringe of the Republican party.

Right, sane Republicans are the new party fringe.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 1:08 pm

DC wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Yes, I absolutely agree!

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 1:18 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
DC wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Yes, I absolutely agree!

Liberals like Romney because he's Obama-light, and think that Obama could easily beat him.

Liberals like Ron Paul, because they know Ron Paul would lose in the General, or they would get the White House back in 4 years due to his stupidity.

As far as Republicans being the fringe, if you consider wanting a balanced budget, putting an end to insane anti-business regulations, and Chicago Style Politics in Washington to be insane, looks like you all don't know what insane or even looney means.