How do Aspie parents handle kids in school?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 10:01 am

verbal0rchid wrote:
verbal0rchid wrote:
The way they worded it was "let's wait and see, she may catch up" - and while that seems reasonable, it just left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I am on my own. My soon to be ex husband was there, and he denies anything being wrong with her other than some "ADHD tendencies but still nothing extreme to worry about" (his words). Naturally the counselor and IEP representative, principal, all jumped on his words as confirmation that I was just being too paranoid and that this was "normal for many 5 yr olds". I wish I had never brought up that she was kept at home and not put in daycare because they said this is typical for that kind of history. They explained all my concerns away as that being the root cause. That because she can talk, and because she can learn, she can't be an extreme enough case to need a formal evaluation.

But mainly I wanted to ask other aspie parents how they cope with the constant changes and demands that kids going to school brings, especially if they are single parents with no family around for support.

The only people I know here are the stbx's family - the dreaded in-laws, and I am in enemy territory here.

Part of the reason he left was because he doesn't believe I have ASD or that he exhibits MANY characteristics of it himself.

wow.... Its been years.

So what are the results now? Is she ASD or just slow to mature?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 6:12 pm

verbal0rchid wrote:
verbal0rchid wrote:
The way they worded it was "let's wait and see, she may catch up" - and while that seems reasonable, it just left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I am on my own. My soon to be ex husband was there, and he denies anything being wrong with her other than some "ADHD tendencies but still nothing extreme to worry about" (his words). Naturally the counselor and IEP representative, principal, all jumped on his words as confirmation that I was just being too paranoid and that this was "normal for many 5 yr olds". I wish I had never brought up that she was kept at home and not put in daycare because they said this is typical for that kind of history. They explained all my concerns away as that being the root cause. That because she can talk, and because she can learn, she can't be an extreme enough case to need a formal evaluation.

But mainly I wanted to ask other aspie parents how they cope with the constant changes and demands that kids going to school brings, especially if they are single parents with no family around for support.

The only people I know here are the stbx's family - the dreaded in-laws, and I am in enemy territory here.

Part of the reason he left was because he doesn't believe I have ASD or that he exhibits MANY characteristics of it himself.

wow.... Its been years.

Sorry I missed the dates before responding.

Welcome back!

I am curious what you would say to yourself now, after all those years of experience.