How do Aspie parents handle kids in school?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 8:41 am

Chronos wrote:
verbal0rchid wrote:
My daughter is 5, and in Kindergarten this year. I've already had a meeting with the school on getting her evaluated, but their decision was that since she *is* learning, if slower than other kids her age in the social arena, she is not ASD and doesn't need formal evaluation. They said she just needs some social help with the school counselor, along with several other kids. Primarily because she was raised at home with family and not in a daycare environment.

I am self dx Asperger's, and so have no formal basis for pushing this issue with the school or the school board.

How do parents with ASD handle kids being in school and all the challenges that come with it? I feel like I am in complete chaos most of the time, and the last thing I want is for my daughter to be punished (basically) for my issues.

School administrators are not your friend. They will try very hard to withhold resources and accommodations because it costs them money. If you think your daughter needs to be evaluated and possibly needs accommodations, you have a right to pursue those things. Contact an advocate group in your area that deals with special needs children and IEP (Individual education plans).

^^^^This

It is very hard to trust them when it comes to this stuff. My school district really wanted to avoid the costs of testing at all costs. Let's put it this way, when they wanted to reduce some of the services my son was getting (which made no sense to do based on where my son was in terms of the goals in his IEP) I asked for testing to justify the decrease. (Just like they required testing at the outset to get services -- makes sense right?) They told me the testing cost too much, kept trying to convince me, and then when they realized I wasn't going to sign off on iit -- apparently decided they preferred not to attempt to reduce his services, if they had to pay for the tests.

Probably the whole point in the first place was they were looking for places to cut costs, and they knew damn well, the cut was not warranted but gave it a big push, anyway. They were not going to pay for testing that they knew was not going to indicate what they wanted, and for all I knew maybe we were not getting enough services in those areas.

:roll:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 10:01 am

verbal0rchid wrote:
verbal0rchid wrote:
The way they worded it was "let's wait and see, she may catch up" - and while that seems reasonable, it just left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I am on my own. My soon to be ex husband was there, and he denies anything being wrong with her other than some "ADHD tendencies but still nothing extreme to worry about" (his words). Naturally the counselor and IEP representative, principal, all jumped on his words as confirmation that I was just being too paranoid and that this was "normal for many 5 yr olds". I wish I had never brought up that she was kept at home and not put in daycare because they said this is typical for that kind of history. They explained all my concerns away as that being the root cause. That because she can talk, and because she can learn, she can't be an extreme enough case to need a formal evaluation.

But mainly I wanted to ask other aspie parents how they cope with the constant changes and demands that kids going to school brings, especially if they are single parents with no family around for support.

The only people I know here are the stbx's family - the dreaded in-laws, and I am in enemy territory here.

Part of the reason he left was because he doesn't believe I have ASD or that he exhibits MANY characteristics of it himself.

wow.... Its been years.

So what are the results now? Is she ASD or just slow to mature?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 6:12 pm

verbal0rchid wrote:
verbal0rchid wrote:
The way they worded it was "let's wait and see, she may catch up" - and while that seems reasonable, it just left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I am on my own. My soon to be ex husband was there, and he denies anything being wrong with her other than some "ADHD tendencies but still nothing extreme to worry about" (his words). Naturally the counselor and IEP representative, principal, all jumped on his words as confirmation that I was just being too paranoid and that this was "normal for many 5 yr olds". I wish I had never brought up that she was kept at home and not put in daycare because they said this is typical for that kind of history. They explained all my concerns away as that being the root cause. That because she can talk, and because she can learn, she can't be an extreme enough case to need a formal evaluation.

But mainly I wanted to ask other aspie parents how they cope with the constant changes and demands that kids going to school brings, especially if they are single parents with no family around for support.

The only people I know here are the stbx's family - the dreaded in-laws, and I am in enemy territory here.

Part of the reason he left was because he doesn't believe I have ASD or that he exhibits MANY characteristics of it himself.

wow.... Its been years.

Sorry I missed the dates before responding.

Welcome back!

I am curious what you would say to yourself now, after all those years of experience.