EU finding time to ban Children's Toys

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 2:05 pm

The EU toy safety directive, agreed and implemented by Government, states that balloons must not be blown up by unsupervised children under the age of eight, in case they accidentally swallow them and choke.

Despite having been popular favourites for generations of children, party games including whistles and magnetic fishing games are to be banned because their small parts or chemicals used in making them are decreed to be too risky.

Apparently harmless toys that children have enjoyed for decades are now regarded by EU regulators as posing an unacceptable safety risk.

Whistle blowers, that scroll out into a a long coloured paper tongue when sounded – a party favourite at family Christmas meals – are now classed as unsafe for all children under 14.

The new rules are designed to protect children from the chance that a piece of the whistle could be swallowed and cause choking.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... rules.html

Guessing the Obama Administration will try this next...

As if we needed another example to know that Big Government is bad.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

10 Oct 2011, 3:50 pm

I think your time would be better spent referencing the original source, instead of relying on newspapers running one of their occasional "it's elf-n-safety gone mad, I tells ya!" slow news day stories.
It was a newspaper that ran the "Christmas is now to be called Winter Festival to avoid offending non-Christians" story, and that turned out to be crap too. Didn't stop others from slavishly copying it though.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 3:53 pm

Cornflake wrote:
It was a newspaper that ran the "Christmas is now to be called Winter Festival to avoid offending non-Christians" story, and that turned out to be crap too. Didn't stop others from slavishly copying it though.

Ditto. It's just another example of manipulative stupidity and you're falling right for it.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 4:21 pm

It is always important to bear in mind that all news services have a political axe to grind, some of the UK newspapers are very "euro skeptic", this means that they are anti EU. They are always trying to blame everything on the "wicked EU", while the EU might not be perfect I think that on balance it is a very good organisation which has done many things which are good for the AS community.

Freedom to live anywhere in the EU for EU citizens

Freedom of trade within the EU

Human rights law in the EU are oftein related to actions of the EU

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Lady-ivy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2011, 6:01 pm

what is the world getting into. it seems like kid's toys and games i used and anyone else is teen or adult now, played as child is being banned or dubed dangerese. i rememberd playing red rover as a 7 year old child besides it really plysical game parents were find with the game but now adays parents respound with no you can't play this game it dangerages or really supervied the game. i can under stand the risk in toys and game but everyting is a risk. you cant avoid risk. it seem like almost every parents want to over partact their kids. mite as well put your in kids boubble warp.

this really has nothing to do with big goverment, but really an case of over coetues parents

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

10 Oct 2011, 6:27 pm

Lady-ivy wrote:
this really has nothing to do with big goverment, but really an case of over coetues parents
It most likely has nothing to do with either, and everything to do with a newspaper spinning a non-story to sell copies.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 6:34 pm

Cornflake wrote:
It most likely has nothing to do with either, and everything to do with a newspaper spinning a non-story to sell copies.

Funnily enough, I often doubt that. I suspect that the EU is putting some sort of restrictive licensing/regulatory framework in place that will be onerous and costly. As it usually does.

I shouldn't have to say this but...

Vote...

I want my country back, please. Now.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

10 Oct 2011, 6:54 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Whistle blowers, that scroll out into a a long coloured paper tongue when sounded – a party favourite at family Christmas meals – are now classed as unsafe for all children under 14.

This is a little over the top, IMHO. 14 year olds are perfectly capable of blowing those whistle blowers without choking on them. I wouldn't give them to a two year old, but someone that is two years into adolescence will be okay. :roll:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 6:58 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
This is a little over the top, IMHO. 14 year olds are perfectly capable of blowing those whistle blowers without choking on them. I wouldn't give them to a two year old, but someone that is two years into adolescence will be okay. :roll:

Us lot in UKIP have been saying this for years: we need to leave. Not that many people are listening, but we hope the politicians' utter contempt for the public will help to change things a little.

Set the people free!

Last edited by Tequila on 10 Oct 2011, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

10 Oct 2011, 8:04 pm

:shrug: I give up.

It's in a newspaper therefore it must be true. All of it. Every single word. No doubt about it.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

10 Oct 2011, 11:42 pm

Cornflake wrote:
:shrug: I give up.

It's in a newspaper therefore it must be true. All of it. Every single word. No doubt about it.

(pats cornflake on the head) its okay....they dont care if it is true or not....it justifies their argument.

Jojo

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 11:16 am

An easy google search provides a fact sheet artcle that I find more reliable (can't post the link from my phone).

The regulations don't ban anything. Ok, duh, how would ban a product by age group? The law cannot control what people do in their homes.

What the law requires is warning labels.

The same warning labels these products have benn carrying in most countries for twenty years, apparently. I can attest to that on balloons, actually.

Just another reminder that we need to put our brains on before allowing an emotional hit piece to influence us.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 11:26 am

Lady-ivy wrote:

It's got nothing to do with neither.

Although I will concede that the second thing is very important in other areas.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 1:39 pm

It is a typical example of typical English europhobia.

If they really think banning toys is enforced, they should think again, that is not a real problem. The real problem with the EU are not these rules, but economic disasters like allowing the Mediterranean countries into the Euro.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 6:40 pm

idk i don't think those laws would be enforced so who give a dam.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 8:20 pm

Inuyasha, are you going to take responsibility for posting an uninformed title that actually has members believing such a ban has been written, when I've adequately explained that it hasn't? People aren't bothering to read my further down the page post, but are believing your inaccurate assessment of an article that left out a few key words.

I believe the correct thread title would be "EU finding time to put into regulation warning label requirements already followed by most of it's member nations."

Not nearly as exciting, but the truth rarely is.