Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

unique
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2005, 5:56 am

My actual handwriting is impeccably neat. So much so that one psychologist said that I couldn't possibly be AS because my writing was too neat! :? I attribute this to excellent teaching of writing styles at Primary School. However, I have always gripped my pen 'wrong'.

Despite the neatness I can only write at my own pace. During my brief forray into 'mainstream' university I could never keep up with the speed at which the lecturers and tutors spoke.

Quote:
Another writing related problem I've had is a difficulty taking notes. In the beginning, I may print some legible and usable information. But since I can't write fast, I begin to abbreviate. Eventually, I begin using some kind of code I make up on the spot.

Later when I look at my notes I can't read them. And the code I thought I would remember?

I REALLY know what you mean. I reached the point where I felt it was pointless even trying to take to notes beacuse they would be largely unusable. I was relying on memory. It was compounded by the fact that I can't listen to one sentence and write another so I either miss chunks of what is being said or I include random words in my writing.

I also have the ability to write every letter from a word but in completely the wrong order. This is most noticeable when I am typing. I also do it when I am speaking. I say every word from a sentence but in the wrong order. It is there in my head but in a coherant way but by the time the words come out of my mouth they are all jumbled up.

I get cramp in my hand too. I can only comfortably write for any length of time with a particular style of biro.

Another major difficulty of mine is with lists of information or typefaces which are small. I cannot follow the lines in order. I miss things out and I need to run my finger along under what I am reading. If I have to fill in a form or something with a series of columns I often write things in the wrong boxes. I know where I want to write but my sensory co-ordination is haphazard. Don't really know how to explain what I mean so I will stop rambling on!

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2005, 7:24 am

Quote:
I also do it when I am speaking. I say every word from a sentence but in the wrong order. It is there in my head but in a coherant way but by the time the words come out of my mouth they are all jumbled up.

Hm.. I find I often have an idea or notion in my head, but I can't get the words unscrambled to form a clear enough sentence. It usually happens before I speak, though, rather than in the process of speaking. It can take me awhile to sort out what I want to say. That's one of the reasons why I prefer typing over speaking. You can go back and edit what you've written, but you sound like a bumbling mess if you try to do that while you're speaking (which I do, eheh).