Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

asd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2011, 12:57 pm

About two years ago i was sent to hospital for few month and was diagnosed both Asperger's and Schizophrenia.
Had nothing audible, just thoughts after thoughts that prevented sleeping and created tiredness that caused me to forget eating and caused it hard to sleep.
This caused fast drop in weight, this state lasted about 1-2 weeks , then parents started talking something and thought i was using drugs, Later tests were taken and i was sent to hospital.
I cant remember few weeks at hospital from the moment first bills and injection was given.
After leaving hospital i was suposed to take 2 bills every day that reduces ammount of dopamine in brain.
I reduced ammount of bills daily for about a week and ended taking bills.
Psychiatrist told me few times if not taking bills brain gets damaged by schizophrenia,starting from outsides and reduces ability to think.

I have done some internet research on both diagnosis and i belive i probably have aspergers as others had to teach me eye contact and not much chatting also.

If i take alcohol i usually wont be able to sleep for at least a night and next day will probably be paranoid.
Could it indicate something?

I belive best solution to both problems is calmness and enough money to realize some ideas and hobbys.
Sorry about english.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 1:41 pm

Do you have Dyslexia too? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia

I noticed that the lines between the autism spectrum and the schizophrenia related ones can be very blurry to psychiatrists that still don't seem to full understand the complications. I had a friend with AS wrongly diagnosed with schizo affective but on the other hand I actually have both but only negative symptoms and very mild positive ones. You could even just have a combination of bipolar and Aspergers provided you aren't hearing voices. Bipolar is very co morbid with AS and ADHD is very co morbid with dyslexia. With all these associated disorders it's very difficult for our current doctors to diagnose and treat correctly. Hopefully future doctors will be more educated and understanding.

asd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2011, 2:23 pm

Dyslexia probably not.
Bipolar seems more possible as i have plenty of symptoms.
For example i may wake up with good motivation to continue previous days work but at random moment i may lose motivation and and it is directly connected to views.
I find it hard to decide what world view to go with.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 3:38 pm

Hi, a medication you swallow is called a "pill." Other than that your English is fine.

Like the above person said, maybe bipolar. Or at least it's something worth considering. Years ago, I read in the book BECOMING A DOCTOR (Melvin Konner, 1987) in the chapter on psychiatric issue . . .

. . . lithium for bipolar has somewhat less serious side effects than the medications for schizophrenia like Haldol. But both have potentially serious side effects and need to be monitored. Konner seemed to think bipolar was somewhat more easily treatable, but it's not that cut and died. It's important to get the right diagnosis and the right medication, and that might well involve some open and honest trial and error, with doctor and patient both being open to making adjustments in the medication used.

schizophrenia or bipolar? (Melvin Konner, 1987) (for some excerpts)
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt177714.html

I've read that human biochemistry (especially neurotransmitters) is very complex and everyone's is a little different.

I like what you say about having calmness and enough money to realize some ideas and activities. :D I also want to do positive things, regardless of whether I'm 'different' or not, and regardless of whether other things are going well or not.

And, welcome to our Wrong Planet website!

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 17 Oct 2011, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Oct 2011, 5:52 am

I rechecked bipolar symptoms again and not many seem to fit ,only racing thoughts and it is rare. I also need to talk about schizophrenia with my psychiatrist.
I am also not sure about aspergers.
Some aspergers symptoms seem to fit, for example doing nothing around someone makes me nervous and never found any possible friends with similar world view or interests.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 11:33 pm

Hi, maybe kind of a zen approach to racing thoughts? The approach, okay, I have racing thoughts, so be it. Then you kind of watch the thougths with "zen detachment" as it were? Just an idea. Perhaps something to try if it appeals to you.

And maybe kind of talk to your psychiatrist in medium steps and give him or her a chance to come through for you? And, honest to gosh, I thought auditory hallucinations were the "money symptom" of schizophrenia, that is, the main symptom. Meaning that if you don't have hallucinations, you may not have schizophrenia.

PS: I corrected the above from Melvin Konner's 1987 book. It was not as definite as I remembered it.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 10:58 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Hi, maybe kind of a zen approach to racing thoughts? The approach, okay, I have racing thoughts, so be it. Then you kind of watch the thougths with "zen detachment" as it were? Just an idea. Perhaps something to try if it appeals to you.

And maybe kind of talk to your psychiatrist in medium steps and give him or her a chance to come through for you? And, honest to gosh, I thought auditory hallucinations were the "money symptom" of schizophrenia, that is, the main symptom. Meaning that if you don't have hallucinations, you may not have schizophrenia.

PS: I corrected the above from Melvin Konner's 1987 book. It was not as definite as I remembered it.

That's a good idea detaching yourself from your thoughts. It seems like a weird thing to do but when your having symptoms and you separate yourself from the thoughts and try to rationalize them, then that could help you cope a bit better. Like say your thinking about buying something expensive that you don't need just for the rush. Separate yourself from the idea and the need and ask yourself do I really need this or am I just letting this state I'm in make me think I should buy that. Another example is - I'm getting my coat out of the closet then my cat rushes inside. I shut the door then hear this frightening meow from inside the closet. When I open it up my cat in a human voice calls me a B!@#H. I pick her up and cuddle her because I knew that I felt so horrible that my poor kitty could have been locked in my closet that I hallucinated her dissing me. That and I know cats can't talk. Looking back at it though hearing that come from a cat borders on the hilarious. More funny than talking animals in a Disney movie. Anyway the one thing I've learned is that my positive symptoms are activated by stress and most of the time they are dormant because I really know how to deal with them and understand what's happening and why. The major things that keep them dormant is staying away from drugs, alcohol, stressful situations, having good friends, and knowing your own physical and mental limits. The thing that helps the most for me is learning about the disorder and reviewing your thoughts even if you desperately want to act on them, sometimes they just make so sense.

asd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Oct 2011, 1:03 pm

Thanks for the idea of zen.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2011, 9:12 pm

The trick to the objective viewpoint is to remember that you can invoke it during those stressful situations. That's the trick for me, anyway. Once I remember, then it's easy. Much like lucid dreaming.. It must take practice, just like everything else, until you/I don't even realize you're/I'm doing it anymore.. like walking, breathing, typing stuff

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 2:54 pm

Angel_ryan wrote:
. . . Another example is - I'm getting my coat out of the closet then my cat rushes inside. I shut the door then hear this frightening meow from inside the closet. When I open it up my cat in a human voice calls me a B!@#H. I pick her up and cuddle her because I knew that I felt so horrible that my poor kitty could have been locked in my closet that I hallucinated her dissing me. That and I know cats can't talk. Looking back at it though hearing that come from a cat borders on the hilarious. . .

I like this example! :D The only thing I might add is a light touch, meaning sometimes it might work and sometimes it might not. Just that we humans are so complex, all of us, that no one method works all the time. So it helps to have several different methods in a skill set that a person can draw upon.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 4:33 pm

moved from General Autism Discussion to Bipolar, Tourettes, Schizophrenia, and other Psychological Conditions