Page 45 of 56 [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 56  Next

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 1:03 pm

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I think a "like" button of some kind would be nice.
Another forum I'm a member of has a selection of buttons available at the bottom of each post (like/dislike, agree/disagree, informative, helpful, funny...)
I think it's an easy way to let people know you read what they wrote and got something from it without necessarily needing to post a reply just to say "I liked your post" or some such. Could do wonders here, I think.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 1:23 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I think a "like" button of some kind would be nice.
Another forum I'm a member of has a selection of buttons available at the bottom of each post (like/dislike, agree/disagree, informative, helpful, funny...)
I think it's an easy way to let people know you read what they wrote and got something from it without necessarily needing to post a reply just to say "I liked your post" or some such. Could do wonders here, I think.

I also would like that. A lot of times I really want to avoid posting in a thread based on topics that I really am uncomfortable about. But then there are people who make a post on such topics that I agree with and I just want to give them a +1 for their comment instead of having to make a post on there just to do so. It would just make people prone to replying to my comment in which I don't want to be a part of.

Though I don't know about a "dislike" and "funny" button, I don't really like that idea... Especially with the sort of posts I make. I already know if something like that is implemented onto the site I'll get a ton of dislikes and it would just make me feel more uneasy than I already get with posting here. It will make me and probably others be even more averse to posting thoughts and experiences in the future if that was on the site, especially if those thoughts and experiences are not of the standard acceptance of society (even for general aspie standards). I rather deal with the potential of people making biased comments than the luxury people will have with just simply clicking "dislike" or "funny" to a post I make, especially if it was anonymous.

I don't want to make a serious post discussing an event or experience I had with one of my soulbonds and people pushing the "funny" button. I don't need more of that in my life. I don't want to look back at posts and see 20 dislikes and 15 "funny"s just because I said a fictional character brought me out of suicide a few times in my life or that I'm expressing how happy I am to have my 'bonds in my life.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 6:37 pm

A like button is a tool that can be used to create group think and persuade vulnerable through means of what others perceive to be a positive reputation. This accumulation of thought-currency could also be used to sway decisions from management. I've seen this happen.

It is also open to bullying, where users will like anyone who criticizes someone they don't like. I've also seen this happen in Kudos systems on Sony's PlayStation boards.

It can be a great system if used for good, but due to an already stretched moderation team and many of our extreme personalities (let's face it) I can't see it being policed very well and more importantly, used in an honourable fashion.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 8:36 pm

If I really like something someone said a lot I'll often quote it with :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: . Seems to get the message across. I'd agree though that if it's too easy to like or dislike something it detaches from the 'why', a lot of posts with rich cerebral content (thinking of my own I'm sure :P ) won't get many up or down votes, flame bate will get lots both ways, but either way we'd be stilting the intellectual environment in favor of funny cat videos and cheesecake pics of the likes that Youtube and Minds are already flooded with.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 8:47 pm

I hope WP never gets that like, dislike, thumb up, thumb down system.

I really don't think we need that stress factor here

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 8:58 pm

I actually really like the idea of a like button. It's a way to express thanks or show that you enjoyed a post without spamming or being repetitive. Other forums I go on have one, and it doesn't cause many problems. I dislike the idea of a dislike button (ha), though. I would be afraid to share my opinions because I'd be afraid of getting a dislike. There seems to be a difference, for me, between having someone criticize your opinions and having them flat out dislike them. I think if someone disagrees with someone else, they ought to tell them why, instead of just clicking a button.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 6:41 pm

Can there be a new rule where new users aren’t allowed to make their usernames similar to the people already posting here? It’s the second time it’s happened.

ZZZTired
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jan 2018, 11:23 pm

No time limit on editing the posts or deleting the posts you have. User accounts can be deleted, and within a couple of weeks are deleted completely. Usernames can be changed too just in case they are accidental, and within a couple of weeks after approval are changed.

I have decided to go back and read the FAQ, which I forgot to do earlier.

More importantly rules of the website are mentioned on the register for an account part of the website. There can be a link in bold saying "Before you go to this website have you read the FAQ?", and there is a checkmark box on the bottom, and the only way to create an account is after you click that checkmark.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 7:27 am

Why does this thread still exist? I can't think of a single alteration, improvement or upgrade that's been done in years.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 11:23 am

EzraS wrote:
Why does this thread still exist? I can't think of a single alteration, improvement or upgrade that's been done in years.

I can. Been here since 2010 and I can say with certainty this site looks nothing like it did then.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 11:32 am

EzraS wrote:

To fool you into thinking that someone actually gives a s**t!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 11:41 am

Skilpadde wrote:
I hope WP never gets that like, dislike, thumb up, thumb down system. I really don't think we need that stress factor here

:wtg:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 10:37 am

Several times a day, and usually when switching between fora on this website, I receive the following message:

Retry for a live version

This page (http://wrongplanet.net/) is currently offline. However, because the site uses Cloudflare's Always Online™ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version. Always Online™ is powered by Cloudflare | Hide this Alert

Obviously, WrongPlanet will spontaneously disconnect at random. This may be caused by wonky BBS software, an unreliable host server, a DOS attack, or even a piece of malware trying to get past my own firewall and anti-virus programs.

Would someone please look into this?

Thank you

-F-

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2018, 6:33 pm

As someone who has a private browser, active defender, Spyhunter software if need be and random Antivirus scanners on my phone, almost all the old cloud system that apparently was seen so much here before has gone, and the owner takes on matters which persist in statements ending that there is no real host server, bar the Cloudfare reprogrammer reboot mechanisms that appear to stay in place even after the light has failed from system hackers, and yes we know they are always somewhere out there, trying untested and unlawful things.

Check your adblock version is compatible with all android software and current windows 10 devices. Windows 11 and up have more hacking problems, and it is also a well known fact with App stores of today.
Clear cache, cookies and your internet history, if bugs are found, then intrusting the owner to clear the bugs will help as Firewalls have long ceased being reliable in todays technology.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2018, 10:34 pm

Could we have a subforum for history discussion, for stuff like talking about topics in history, doing historical research, sharing pictures, sharing and talking about books and history related media, talking about things like reenactment too maybe, etc.? I know of quite a few Aspies that are really into history (like myself) and a subforum dedicated to historical discussion would encourage people to talk about history. So while we could use random discussion (I guess), having a history subforum would really encourage it.

It would be awesome if we had one! Personally, I have a passion for learning about Anglo-Saxon England, Korean history, Japanese history, and Chinese history!! :D :D :D

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 8:52 pm

For controversial/contested topics - it might be good to have a zone where the number of participants is set, that is read-only for any users aside from those who agreed ahead of time to participate. There could be mutual invites maybe as well if someone else to join if all parties agree that it would be helpful.

The point would be - maintain high quality discussion on challenging topics without the conversation getting dragged down into the mud. Mods would still be able to lock threads that went awry or delete threads that look like they were made with the intent to troll from the beginning.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin