Page 42 of 56 [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 56  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Aug 2016, 11:09 pm

Empathy wrote:
I see the ad block filters have been increased with Windows 10. How is that going to make a difference to posters lives?

What 's the point getting rid of cloudfare if the malware is going to put users hard drives in a frenzy?

If the log in function is getting a face lift with spam controls, why does it need to affect the messaging boards?

I can see a likely outcome for why people have left.

I phones don't programme to affect the same data controls as notebooks, and in fact its the laptop that has the biggest RAM. So, give up on the filtered cookie functions, and lay off the spam defaults for a while.
But carry on with all the other good stuff !

I don't understand anything you've written.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 5:01 am

Well I seem to keep getting mixed messages and ongoing problems here. I put it partly down to failure to moderate nicely and the other part where im sick of explaining myself to make any sense.. to anyone. . who cannot focus enough to pause and listen. The technical issues are a problem and I topped it off with a compliment, maybe I should not have bothered.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 8:48 pm

Hi :) I'm not sure if this is the right place but I had an idea for a suggestion

Would be be possible to have like a family life or family issues section? Alot of people seem to have struggles in their family and in law lives.

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Sep 2016, 8:57 pm

Alliekit wrote:
Hi :) I'm not sure if this is the right place but I had an idea for a suggestion

Would be be possible to have like a family life or family issues section? Alot of people seem to have struggles in their family and in law lives.

I feel like that would go in the social/friends forum

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 9:01 pm

alex wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

I feel like that would go in the social/friends forum

I spose i feel a tiny bit weird posting family stuff there. Then again that's probably just me liking to pigeon hole things :')

I respect your call and thank you for the quick response

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 8:44 pm

PPR could use a split into its component subjects. I think of it like this - the culture here is shaped by the possibilities (what kinds of conversations are catered to or nurtured and which aren't) and I tend to worry that not only a lot of really good conversations get barred but that people may be looking around, not seeing what they want, and leaving if they can't find a corner that fits them.

One example of what that could look like:

- Autism, Faith, and Religious Life
- Philosophy, Metaphysics, and Mysticism
- Politics, Economics, and World Relations (or World Events - if that's not too redundant with 'News and Current Events')

Philosophy has it's own tone, its own etiquette, as does religion. Politics can be very fast-paced, combative, and run on the obnoxious if it's not well tended. I don't know how much you'd want to try tipping the scales toward in-depth discussion of economic theories and away from soapbox rants about candidates, if we could think of some ways to thin the propaganda though it would be helpful.

Autism, Faith, and Religious Life could be something of a safe zone for formally religious aspies/auties to talk about their faith, the details, and how being on spectrum effects their relationship with both deity and community. Haven-style rules sound like they'd apply with some limited debate regarding details of tradition so long as it stays constructive/polite. I put philosophy, metaphysics and mysticism together because in part there are many different types of philosophy, metaphysics are an area of philosophy which can vary between very physicalist views to very idealist ones, and mysticism because it's more similar to idealism or panpsychism in practice rather than fitting the mold of formal religion. The point here would be mutual acceptance of physicalist/materialist discussions, idealist discussions, anything between, and further extrapolation and elucidation of these thought currents. As for politics, economics, and world relations/world events - I think that might help grant a lot of the people who want to have more in-depth conversations about political science, international affairs, etc.. the space to do so.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 6:06 am

^ Just a few weeks ago another member mentioned something similar, that he wished there was a section for positive conversations about beliefs and spirituality.

I think a very good idea for a new section would be one that didn't have any specific theme, but simply had as a rule about being for positive conversations about stuff members wanted to talk about. I have seen people try to start threads like that only to get discouraged by negativity or debate-like posts. Debates are fine for those who like them but some of us just like to talk about things without it being a debate. I have seen that happen in GAD and Women's discussion as well, which is why I wouldn't want it to be for just one theme.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 4:44 pm

I'd agree that people shouldn't be attacked just for bringing something up. On the other hand though, I'd really like to see deeper conversation nurtured on all three topics and we're not getting that. Really it can't happen, as far as I can tell, until there's some kind of conceptual buffering between posts on stump politics, posts on economics and world relationships, conversations or religion, conversations on philosophy.

Just asking some of the moderators if there was a way that we could take a shot at detailing some sort of etiquette before invective started flying based on whether what was under discussion was deemed controversial by some members the answer seemed to be no - it's too complicated, lets make new folders instead. Well..... I'm waiting.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 7:01 pm

How do I get new WrongPlanet email from Alex Plank to go to a new email address instead of my old email address? I tried going to "My account", going to "Edit account settings", inserting a new email address in the fields saying "Email address" and clicking "Confirm email address". In spite of all that, I'm still getting WrongPlanet email on my old account. I don't want to unsubscribe; I just want a separate email account for those updates and messages.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 8:42 am

Another good suggestion - the current PPR folder, if we're going to leave it exactly as it is, would be better fit with the name 'Realpolitik and Conspiracy Theories'.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 9:05 pm

The ads are running some new Javascript where they pull the window down to the ad and start playing some damn ruckus. It's awful.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 3:39 pm

I've mentioned it before, but I'd really like to see a more accessible donation link. I run an ad blocker all the time and I feel kinda bad for it, so I'd like to be able to give back to WP more directly.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 12:48 pm

LonelyJar wrote:
How do I get new WrongPlanet email from Alex Plank to go to a new email address instead of my old email address? I tried going to "My account", going to "Edit account settings", inserting a new email address in the fields saying "Email address" and clicking "Confirm email address". In spite of all that, I'm still getting WrongPlanet email on my old account. I don't want to unsubscribe; I just want a separate email account for those updates and messages.

I feel like that much maligned species, the 'Necroposter' here, but would like to make a comment which is still relevant to the above post. More than a year ago, I also enabled a new email address as required by WP as a means of contact, as I was concerned about personal information, including my old email address, being leaked. I'd noticed that sort of thing happening several times when other users' personal details (like private email address, date of birth, etc) were made visible when I tried to view my own account details.

After a couple of failed attempts, I finally managed to apparently replace my previous contact email address with a more secure, 'anonymous' one, but just as in the experience of the above poster, a few weeks later I got a communication from WP via my OLD email address. To my further dismay, on reading a post in another thread in this section just yesterday, I discovered that these leaks of personal details are still occurring. I've heard of Freedom Of Information, but this is ridiculous..... :x

beoguy
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Apr 2017, 4:07 pm

DeepHour wrote:
To my further dismay, on reading a pos I've heard of Freedom Of Information, but this is ridiculous..... :x

Maybe it's proof of the old saying that information wants to be free.

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 5:21 pm

Maybe you could try making a WP app? :D
Just an idea... :oops:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 8:05 am

Just a suggestion to try limit spammers.

Could all new users be limited to only being able to start 1-2 threads until a certain post count is reached.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard