Social Security Disability is running out of cash

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 1:27 pm

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/10/20/1 ... am-on.html

By 2018 SSDI should be out of money. Eventually they'll do what the UK did, and simply toss everybody off and say "find a job, any job" even if that job causes frequent meltdowns or suicidal thoughts.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 2:28 pm

pezar wrote:
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/10/20/127849/disability-benefits-program-on.html

By 2018 SSDI should be out of money. Eventually they'll do what the UK did, and simply toss everybody off and say "find a job, any job" even if that job causes frequent meltdowns or suicidal thoughts.

Stress leads to almost every illness, particularly chronic depression. Work related stress is at an all time high. Most of this increase is related to actual stress and actual illness, yet in the article they seem to blame the system for being to lax.

The Social Security Administration can barely handle the new claims, they don't have the personnel to do it; not likely they are going to have the manpower to enforce tighter controls than exist; also not likely they are going to be funded with significantly greater numbers of employees to effect actions to attempt to reduce the number of people on disability.

I guess they are eventually going to have to raise taxes to accommodate the increases in disabled Americans.

Either they fix it or most everyone in the country disabled or not will potentially suffer through anarchy, from a general public that already appears to be losing their patience with government and corporate influence.

People in the US love their Guns, I watched them carry them to the Gas station when they feared gas would run out before a Hurricane, to defend their gasoline. If they can't eat, chances are the results will be much worse.

If the government and corporate influence wants the wild wild west, they are likely to get it at some point in time in the future. Want be fun for many people, rich, poor, healthy, or disabled.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 2:28 pm

pezar wrote:
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/10/20/127849/disability-benefits-program-on.html

You know I have met a great deal of mechanics, plumbers, and so on who probably could not survive in an office or retail environment so they went to trade school instead and took jobs where they weren't expected to have great social skills.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 12:17 am

Well that's just wonderful.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 11:52 pm

I guess I better hurry up sign up to get what I can from it. If I was forced into takeing another horrible job at a restaurant I would beat the s**t out of the first as*hole who screwed with me and cut his head off and stick it in the deep fryer so I would end up in jail or the mad house. At least I would get three meals a day and free medical services and the world would be rid of one as*hole who I killed so in a way it would be good for mankind. :wink:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 7:05 am

it seems to me that most of us [99%] are headed back to some form of nasty brutish and short. 1% will mostly do well come hell or high water.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 8:59 am

auntblabby wrote:
it seems to me that most of us [99%] are headed back to some form of nasty brutish and short. 1% will mostly do well come hell or high water.

They always have in every age and in every land.

ruveyn

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 10:48 pm

what would the world be like if, like in some of the animal kingdom, only one alpha couple out of the whole generation of each social group reproduces each new generation? what if only the top 1%'ers are the only ones to reproduce? what then? who would be doing the labor/dirty work?

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 11:30 pm

Well for what it's worth I landed in a job with solitude. I just drive a delivery van back and forth on the interstate running freight. Not much of a home life but it's just me and the radio.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 12:07 am

I get social security checks but honestly if I were to no longer get them I think I could find a job to support myself. It may be a little difficult due to my poor social skills and lack of experience but with time I'm sure I could find a way to survive. Hell if I had no other option but to sell my body on the street to pay for food I'd probably do that, or find a book on how to survive in the wild and start living isolated in the wilderness away from our collapsing civilization. I could teach myself how to hunt animals and gather herbs for food, make my own shelter, and create tools using sticks and stones to help me survive. 8)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 3:02 am

auntblabby wrote:
what would the world be like if, like in some of the animal kingdom, only one alpha couple out of the whole generation of each social group reproduces each new generation? what if only the top 1%'ers are the only ones to reproduce? what then? who would be doing the labor/dirty work?

Those alphas would breed slave animals.

ruveyn

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 5:20 am

ruveyn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

ruveyn

Eurgh this fatalistic and disgusting speculation sickens me with its unscientific rubbish.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 6:45 am

At least 10 years ago we were warned about SocialSecurity and Disability. Nothing was done. We continue to accept and educate and support immigrants despite American seniors being unable to 'afford' their prescription medications, and sometimes, even, proper food, we've got HOW many illegals working here, and citizens out of work and foreclosure signs are still appearing where I live...Goldwater was so right, and no one would listen.....Sylkat :x

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 10:15 am

Eventually, every Ponzi scheme runs dry.

ruveyn

DC
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 10:29 am

Gedrene wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

ruveyn

Eurgh this fatalistic and disgusting speculation sickens me with its unscientific rubbish.

That is pretty much the format of ant society.

Now shut up and work harder for less goodies you miserable insect. :wink:

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2011, 10:59 am

ruveyn wrote:
Eventually, every Ponzi scheme runs dry.

ruveyn

Social security isn't a ponzi scheme and whoever thinks so is foolish.A ponzi scheme is where people give a bigger payout to investors from money that they invest and attracts more investors because of high returns.
The government already sets who is to pay money for social security: Taxpayers
It also sets who is to receive it: The Disabled & Poor

There is no cycle where people are drawn in to pay more whilst themselves being given a larger dividend every time.
Thus saying that Social security is a ponzi scheme is a complete falsehood.

The only political climate that has made such a fiction ever conceivable is one who either supports eugenics or who irrationally says government is bad whilst ignoring any attempt to improve governance.