Is there anyone who has Aspergers and is also social?

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Are you good with social situations?
Yes 13%  13%  [ 18 ]
No 32%  32%  [ 43 ]
Meh... Sometimes... 54%  54%  [ 73 ]
Total votes : 134

jaymannj
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2012, 12:35 am

Personally I'm only sociable when im either with my nt friends or when im comfortable with the people around me... if i feel any neg vibes i shell up...

Skeith
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2012, 1:06 am

it took me till i was a junior in high school but i learned how to be decent in a social sense though in truth its usually either hit or miss in my case. im comfortable around people who actually put effort to being friendly though if a person is rude or just has that feeling of annoyingness then i kinda ignore them or do my best to not really be around them.

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Feb 2012, 12:02 pm

I'm only really social around people I'm comfortable with, and only under the best conditions. If I have a headache, or am even slightly tired, I might as well have a personal concrete wall, studded with sarcasm and negativity to ward off any "attackers".

Skateri
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2012, 12:09 pm

Since I moved to Aarhus last year I've been learning the social game in a way that is the most effective but also the most energy-draining... One of my good friends (an NT) keeps inviting me to anything he participates in... The first couple of times I declined because I was too scared that no one would speak with me... I told him this but he assured me that his friends were friendly and talked to anyone... And since then I've learned to be more outgoing and social... I do need some time to recharge my energy after each time but in my mind it's all worth it... Now I actually hate when I don't have anything to do other than sit here online... Granted, I like this place but sometimes I just need to get out of my apartment...

"If you can dream it, you can do it!" - Walt Disney

Markleberry
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Feb 2012, 4:57 am

I have my moments, but on the whole I'd say I'm broadly sociable unless I'm unfamiliar with the people and/or the location. Not as much as I used to be, but it's still fairly noticeable.

Stuffedwithempty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2012, 2:45 am

I used to be very shy around people when I was a kid.

But around sophmore I socialized very well with a lot of people in school.

Although after High school it's gone down again and I'm terrified to even go outside.

Chooty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Feb 2012, 11:40 am

I have good social skills actually, autism doesn't really manifest itself on the 'outside' with me. For example I can speak for a public, more confident than some NT people can. And people kind of like me.

But... but... I don't get to use my skills very often as I'm not outgowing. autism does manifest on the 'inside' with me, which makes me depending, routinious, drawn-to-a-known-environment-and-not-leaving-it. Definatly have a smaller social life, but when I do go out I'm good.

Frozec
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Mar 2012, 7:46 pm

I tend to shrink up around other people when I'm just by myself, but most of the time I'm with friends, family, or at the least, people whose faces I know- So I do okay for myself, I think.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 3:57 am

I go to friends houses a fair bit however parties and large scale social situations are a no-go

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2012, 7:34 pm

Angel_ryan wrote:
I only feel comfortable around people I know but I'm very social with them. I can't go to a place alone and make friends but I could if I was with a friend. I do find social situations tiring sometimes. I like to do things alone a lot but I do enjoy being social to an extent.

That actually seems pretty NT of you.

Don't go to places where you don't know people, and if you do, go with friends.

birdiethehuman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2012, 10:31 pm

I'm only comfortable around people I know well, meaning immediate family and close friends. In new situations I am always awkward and very nervous, although it is slightly better if I am there with someone I am familiar with. I have an aversion to talking on the phone with people outside of the aforementioned group to the point that I will avoid answering the phone at home if I don't recognize the number (and sometimes even if I do). I class talking to strangers ( including but not limited to: phone operators, clerks, cab drivers, secretaries, waitstaff, service industry personnel, random people on planes or trains, pretty girls, etc. ) somewhere up there with extreme sports.

Caesaran
Raven
Raven

12 Apr 2012, 6:56 pm

In essence, some of us gotta feel like Kane from C&C, We just off this ******* rock. We go through hell in order to make everyone's life better but they return the favor with a kick in the groin then beat us on the ground.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 1:14 pm

Around certain people I really like conversation. Generally with strangers I am quiet though... sometimes I will start a conversation by sharing some sketches I've done to check for how much they know about art. High interest may mean they are a possible friend...but they have to match my tastes in either video games, music or artwork (I sketch.)

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Barefoot_Boy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Apr 2012, 6:07 pm

I'm not good at social things. It's even a bit hard for me to try to fit in here, but I'm trying.

John Greenleaf Whittier

aspie_aussie88
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Apr 2012, 4:07 am

silvermoon13 wrote:
I am if it's like only 1, 2, or 3 people, but any more than that would be too overwhelming. it's not really a shyness, cuz im definitely not. its just too overwhelming if its too many people at once. can't 'multi task' for lack of better word. Too many people is also tiring. Hard to explain it.

Perfect explanation of me :)

GrantingtheRant
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 11:18 pm

I'm only good when they're my friends or at the very least people around my age. Outside of that, I'm incredibly awkward and talking to people who are much older than me freaks me out. I also don't cope well when the other person is a chatterbox, no matter what age, since they never really listen.